Shady Canyon

[quote author="keepitreal" date=1250506805][quote author="graphrix" date=1250499033][quote author="keepitreal" date=1250497568][quote author="Roo" date=1250491488][quote author="keepitreal" date=1250489135]The houses at Shady canyon are great but they are way over priced. Granted the area is nice but what about cell phone signals. Why will I buy a house for $3 m and then discover that I can't get a text message or a distress call from a family member. I went there last week to see some houses for sale and missed 3 calls.</blockquote>

If you can afford these homes, you can probably afford a more reliable cell phone carrier.</blockquote>

There is no reliable cell phone carrier that covers that area. People tried Verizon, T-mobile and AT&T nothing worked.</blockquote>

Just get t-mobile and <a href="http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/services/information.aspx?tp=Svc_Tab_UnlimitedHotSpotCalling&WT;.mc_n=UHCCoverage&WT;.mc_t=onsite">pay the $10 a month for unlimited WiFi hot spot access</a>. Problem solved.</blockquote>

I wish it was that easy.... that is why I am looking into the QH area. Somehow I feel like the houses there are over priced.</blockquote>

It is that easy. You get t-mo and sign up for their WiFi service. Then if you have the internet... which I think you would, you get a wireless WiFi router, even I have one in the ghetto here of Orange, and then you can make and receive calls in your house and... text messages too. It is really... really simple.

But if you are going to tell me that is the reason why you are looking at QH over Shady... well... I call BS. I mean... we're talking about a $3.5 million spread in price difference between them. Cell phone service... please... if you could afford Shady then you could afford a fix for the cell service issues.

Could this be correct? A decrease of $2,300,000 in one shot in Shady Canyon? Wow! Isn't that like -33%?

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/23-Cactus-92603/home/5929685">23 Cactus</a>

[quote author="awgee" date=1250629795]Could this be correct? A decrease of $2,300,000 in one shot in Shady Canyon? Wow! Isn't that like -33%?

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/23-Cactus-92603/home/5929685">23 Cactus</a></blockquote>
And it only took them all of 7 months to do it. Man, putting such a huge house on only about a 1/2 acre is basically the equivalent of putting a Irvine stucco box home on a tiny post office stamp sized lot.

[quote author="keepitreal" date=1250489135]The houses at Shady canyon are great but they are way over priced. Granted the area is nice but what about cell phone signals. Why will I buy a house for $3 m and then discover that I can't get a text message or a distress call from a family member. I went there last week to see some houses for sale and missed 3 calls.</blockquote>

Get a femtocell:

<a href="http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFemtocell">http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFemtocell</a>

If you prefer AT&T their version will be released in a couple of months. I prefer this over the T-Mobile solution since it works with a much wider variety of phones and you are not required to use the T-Mobile router which I dislike.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1250513509]

But if you are going to tell me that is the reason why you are looking at QH over Shady... well... I call BS. I mean... we're talking about a $3.5 million spread in price difference between them. Cell phone service... please... if you could afford Shady then you could afford a fix for the cell service issues.</blockquote>
Easy on the grumps, graph-hopper.

I would buy in Newport Coast but I don't like their cable TV service.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1250513509][quote author="keepitreal" date=1250506805][quote author="graphrix" date=1250499033][quote author="keepitreal" date=1250497568][quote author="Roo" date=1250491488][quote author="keepitreal" date=1250489135]The houses at Shady canyon are great but they are way over priced. Granted the area is nice but what about cell phone signals. Why will I buy a house for $3 m and then discover that I can't get a text message or a distress call from a family member. I went there last week to see some houses for sale and missed 3 calls.</blockquote>

If you can afford these homes, you can probably afford a more reliable cell phone carrier.</blockquote>

There is no reliable cell phone carrier that covers that area. People tried Verizon, T-mobile and AT&T nothing worked.</blockquote>

Just get t-mobile and <a href="http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/services/information.aspx?tp=Svc_Tab_UnlimitedHotSpotCalling&WT;.mc_n=UHCCoverage&WT;.mc_t=onsite">pay the $10 a month for unlimited WiFi hot spot access</a>. Problem solved.</blockquote>

I wish it was that easy.... that is why I am looking into the QH area. Somehow I feel like the houses there are over priced.</blockquote>

It is that easy. You get t-mo and sign up for their WiFi service. Then if you have the internet... which I think you would, you get a wireless WiFi router, even I have one in the ghetto here of Orange, and then you can make and receive calls in your house and... text messages too. It is really... really simple.

But if you are going to tell me that is the reason why you are looking at QH over Shady... well... I call BS. I mean... we're talking about a $3.5 million spread in price difference between them. Cell phone service... please... if you could afford Shady then you could afford a fix for the cell service issues.</blockquote>

And when I'm outside, I use my Irridium, Voila!

[quote author="cactusfan" date=1250674636][quote author="graphrix" date=1250513509][quote author="keepitreal" date=1250506805][quote author="graphrix" date=1250499033][quote author="keepitreal" date=1250497568][quote author="Roo" date=1250491488][quote author="keepitreal" date=1250489135]The houses at Shady canyon are great but they are way over priced. Granted the area is nice but what about cell phone signals. Why will I buy a house for $3 m and then discover that I can't get a text message or a distress call from a family member. I went there last week to see some houses for sale and missed 3 calls.</blockquote>

And when I'm outside, I use my Irridium, Voila!</blockquote>
BALLER!!!

Wow, 23 Cactus. I was waiting to see what it would turn out like, and from the photos, and the way they were taken...seems like the builder cheaped out at the end...tell me if I am wrong, but why would anyone want their main floor, all 6000+sf to be UNDERGROUND?? I know what the builder was thinking, max sf on small lot where 1str and second floor SF are strictly limited by design guidelines, but still....

And...Anyone know how much 30 Sage Creek sold for?

[quote author="cactusfan" date=1250674833]Wow, 23 Cactus. I was waiting to see what it would turn out like, and from the photos, and the way they were taken...seems like the builder cheaped out at the end...tell me if I am wrong, but why would anyone want their main floor, all 6000+sf to be UNDERGROUND?? I know what the builder was thinking, max sf on small lot where 1str and second floor SF are strictly limited by design guidelines, but still....

And...Anyone know how much 30 Sage Creek sold for?</blockquote>
It's still showing as "pending" and went off the market on 8/5/09 with the last price being $3,795,000.

The price drop on 23 Cactus really doesn't say anything about the Shady housing market. It does say a lot about the seller, though.

If I price my 7,000 sf Shady home at an unrealistic price of, say, $8 million, and then I end up selling it for what it cost me to build, $4 million, does this mean the market has dropped 50%? No. It only means that I was unrealistic about my home value and I've wised up either through education or necessity.

[quote author="Zulu" date=1250682636]The price drop on 23 Cactus really doesn't say anything about the Shady housing market. It does say a lot about the seller, though.

If I price my 7,000 sf Shady home at an unrealistic price of, say, $8 million, and then I end up selling it for what it cost me to build, $4 million, does this mean the market has dropped 50%? No. It only means that I was unrealistic about my home value and I've wised up either through education or necessity.</blockquote>
I'd be willing to bet that Shady homes will bottom out at below the construction cost of the homes (not including the land). Again, why is it that these huge homes are slapped on such small lots since their size? I mean, if I'm gonna build a 10k sf home I want 1-2 acres so I can have a little bit of elbow room.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1250683274][quote author="Zulu" date=1250682636]The price drop on 23 Cactus really doesn't say anything about the Shady housing market. It does say a lot about the seller, though.

If I price my 7,000 sf Shady home at an unrealistic price of, say, $8 million, and then I end up selling it for what it cost me to build, $4 million, does this mean the market has dropped 50%? No. It only means that I was unrealistic about my home value and I've wised up either through education or necessity.</blockquote>
I'd be willing to bet that Shady homes will bottom out at below the construction cost of the homes (not including the land). Again, why is it that these huge homes are slapped on such small lots since their size? I mean, if I'm gonna build a 10k sf home I want 1-2 acres so I can have a little bit of elbow room.</blockquote>

Agreed. While I've been out looking, my rule of thumb is take the square footage of the house, multiple by 3, and that should be the bare min you want for a yard to not look overbuilt... that doesn't give you a HUGE yard, it gives you a yard, with decent space between your neighbors, a front yard, etc.

Obviously, I'm not looking at 10k square foot homes, and I'm guessing for that price since the home is a different class (aka you expect more since its a nicer home), you want more.

Most Shady custom tract lots I believe are around 1/2 acre (~23k square feet). By my rule of thumb, that means you don't want more than 7k square feet... 5k-6k is nice. Now, in Shady due to the prices of the homes, I've seen people build basements... don't count that square footage because it doesn't impact the footprint. You could do 8k with a basement or underground garage and look nice.

Delroy

[quote author="Zulu" date=1250682636]The price drop on 23 Cactus really doesn't say anything about the Shady housing market. It does say a lot about the seller, though.

I don't completely agree. I think the fact that homes were selling for $1000/sf a few years ago in Shady, and now they are selling for $500/sf DOES mean the market has gone down alot... also, the range one can spend on construction per sf can also vary quite a bit, from $200 to sky's the limit. So if a 7000 sf home was really decked out using expensive materials, 8M might not be unreasonable...

Maybe what I was trying to say in my last post was perhaps the builder decided to use cheaper finishes due to the downturn, and then try to sell the house for a lot less.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1250683274][quote author="Zulu" date=1250682636]The price drop on 23 Cactus really doesn't say anything about the Shady housing market. It does say a lot about the seller, though.

I'd be willing to bet that Shady homes will bottom out at below the construction cost of the homes (not including the land). Again, why is it that these huge homes are slapped on such small lots since their size? I mean, if I'm gonna build a 10k sf home I want 1-2 acres so I can have a little bit of elbow room.</blockquote>

Construction costs seemed to have peaked a year or so ago, so it would seem possible that the new homes coming onto the market, and those that have been on the market for the last year or so may well sell for under cost. I think a good example was 66 Canton Creek. 98 Canyon creek (built by the same builder of 23 Cactus) has also just sold at a deep discount from its original price of more than 9M.

[quote author="C Delroy Spuckler" date=1250685525][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1250683274][quote author="Zulu" date=1250682636]The price drop on 23 Cactus really doesn't say anything about the Shady housing market. It does say a lot about the seller, though.

Agreed. While I've been out looking, my rule of thumb is take the square footage of the house, multiple by 3, and that should be the bare min you want for a yard to not look overbuilt... that doesn't give you a HUGE yard, it gives you a yard, with decent space between your neighbors, a front yard, etc.

Obviously, I'm not looking at 10k square foot homes, and I'm guessing for that price since the home is a different class (aka you expect more since its a nicer home), you want more.

Most Shady custom tract lots I believe are around 1/2 acre (~23k square feet). By my rule of thumb, that means you don't want more than 7k square feet... 5k-6k is nice. Now, in Shady due to the prices of the homes, I've seen people build basements... don't count that square footage because it doesn't impact the footprint. You could do 8k with a basement or underground garage and look nice.

Delroy</blockquote>

The interesting thing about 23 Cactus is that the subteranean is bigger than the above ground structure! Above ground there is about a total of 5800sf...So i guess the yard should be fine!!

[quote author="QH Renter" date=1250633243][quote author="keepitreal" date=1250489135]The houses at Shady canyon are great but they are way over priced. Granted the area is nice but what about cell phone signals. Why will I buy a house for $3 m and then discover that I can't get a text message or a distress call from a family member. I went there last week to see some houses for sale and missed 3 calls.</blockquote>

Get a femtocell:

<a href="http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFemtocell">http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFemtocell</a>

If you prefer AT&T their version will be released in a couple of months. I prefer this over the T-Mobile solution since it works with a much wider variety of phones and you are not required to use the T-Mobile router which I dislike.</blockquote>

THANK YOU!!! I went to verizon and they sold it to me for 20% off ($200 instead of $250). plugged it in and 15 minutes later had the equivalent of a cell tower in the middle of the home...

The "mini cell tower" option is really the best in the TRock/Shady Canyon area. But, if someone doesn't want to go that route, my Sprint phone works just fine on most of the hill, except that spot right at the top of Ridgeline, as you head down the hill toward Univ. Dr. Probably being between the two hills blocks the signal.

i get reception outside of the home just fine, but now with the verizon network extender i can get reception in the home which i wasn't getting. in the home there was no reception regardless of carrier.

Wow, did someone lock the gates in Shady Canyon? There has been little to no activity on Redfin this month... No sooner than I wrote that, another home did pop up on Redfin. It is a new listing for a home that was on the market last year. Any new inventory coming up soon?

Back