San Mateo Phase 2++ @ Stonegate

irvinehomeowner said:
rkp said:
also i dont get why the design center has to be in another place.  LR, augusta, and others have the design center right there. 
Makes it easier for TIC/iPac... they are selling multiple 'hoods so having it at one place is more efficient.

not easier for the customer and honestly, how much can it cost to have some materials on a wall in a room with some info?  you dont need to staff it all day but people can get a feel and meet the designer at their appointments.  LR has 1 per each of the 3 sub communities!  it really cant cost much...

rkp said:
irvinehomeowner said:
rkp said:
also i dont get why the design center has to be in another place.  LR, augusta, and others have the design center right there. 
Makes it easier for TIC/iPac... they are selling multiple 'hoods so having it at one place is more efficient.

not easier for the customer and honestly, how much can it cost to have some materials on a wall in a room with some info?  you dont need to staff it all day but people can get a feel and meet the designer at their appointments.  LR has 1 per each of the 3 sub communities!  it really cant cost much...
Comparing TNHC service to TIC/IP service is like comparing Quail Hill to El Camino....night and day.  TIC/IP can stand to take some notes from TNHC.

snut100 said:
The only fun part of this for me is going to the build site and watching my house change week to week.

Are you allowed into the construction area without prior approval?

It is kind of difficult to see your home under construction week after week when you have to sign off on some waiver of liability letter with the TIC sales staff to see your home, don't you think?

these are motor court homes - if you have an end unit next to the street, it is only 10 feet away from the fence.

jamboreedude said:
snut100 said:
The only fun part of this for me is going to the build site and watching my house change week to week.

It is kind of difficult to see your home under construction week after week when you have to sign off on some waiver of liability letter with the TIC sales staff to see your home, don't you think?

jamboreedude said:
snut100 said:

My experience has been that the builder asks that you sign a one-time release. They also require shoes. Once the foundation is up, they ask that you wear a hard hat when going out (they provide it too). Ive never had problems walking out to my site and seeing the progression.

I have to say that I've had a similar experience so far with IP/TIC with our house on order... 

Design Center is actually a bunch of crap.  The stages are not well planned, and you aren't really provided with the right "tools" to make your decisions.  At the appointments, things are rushed because you need to make decisions.  Also, there is NO going back once you've made a decision.  Overall, I'd rate my experience 2 out of 5 stars.  My friend purchasing in the same tract is more annoyed than I am.  Summary - it hasn't been a great experience. 

Other issues going on as well.  At the end of the day, I'm not sure I'm getting my money's worth for what we are spending.  Also, I don't think IP/TIC sympathizes with that in any way, shape or form.  "Well, there are plenty of other people waiting to pay that for this house" is more of the feeling I get. 

I had very low expectations for the design center and maybe that's why I did not feel that bad. Just remember their only purpose is to rip you off even more on top of the hefty profits the builder makes on selling the house. Almost everything they offer is overpriced but for certain things it is worth to pay for the convenience, such as cabinets, electrical outlets...etc.

Buying a new home today is never about getting the best value for the price. It is about the convenience and some level of assurance for those who don't DIY much (FCBs or Asians), and for some people, choosing the special home site (view, large/corner lots..etc) according to their preference.

I'd like to hear specifically what was so bad about the bad Design Center experiences.

I also had difficult experiences with the design center I had to use, but I definitely got them to sway on several things.

Thankfully, like Motor Court said, I can do a lot of things on my own so I didnt have to pay for things from te design center. And yes, my home purchase was mostly about the site that was chosen.

Sounds like IP/TIC is leaving some money on the table by providing poor service at their Design Center.  I'm sure if they were more helpful and the process were less rushed, they'd have more buying options from them.  The upgrades must have the highest profit margin for homebuilders so I don't get why someone from TIC doesn't get in there and whip the Design Center process into shape.  IP/TIC does not get very good reviews when it comes to customer service in general.  If they were selling outside of Irvine, they would fall flat on their face.  For me, I find them to be the most difficult and inflexible builder out there.

OCgasman said:
Just curious, does anyone know if the design center reps get any type of commission on the upgrades?
I doubt it, probably hourly or salaried.  If they were commissioned they'd be a lot more helpful or pushy.

I remember during the walk through, they mentioned something about being able to call them shortly after you move in for them to come and touch up any dings or chips on the wall your mover may have made.  Has anyone actually called them up on this?  What do they actually do?  If they just come in and touch up paint, then I probably won't call them.  But if they actually come in and do some minor patch/drywall work, I might give them a call.

I don't walk into the construction area because it's dangerous and if I wear one of those hard hats, the workers stop working.  So I just drive by on Sunday when there are no workers and watch from the street and stay behind the fence.

I had low expectations from the Design Center and rate the experience 1 out of 5 stars.  They are suppose to be the experts when it comes to helping you pick out options for your new home.  Only experts in taking your order, expecting you to know what you want so you can finish the appointment quickly, and rushing you on your appointment.

They should change the name from Design Center and just called it the Ordering Center.  From the start, the sales rep at TIC tout them as your "personal home interior designer" & they tout themselves as a professional design team.  They don't know their product well and they don't help TIC sell more options.

One major thing that they don't do is to point out options that could be material to you and explain it.  For my appointment, it would have helped had they said, "I see that you are not adding a pre-wire for the outside trellis area.  We highly recommend that you do this for this reason..."

"BRING YOUR CHECKBOOK!"  At least they got this part right.

irvine123searching said:
Do you guys hire or plan to hire an inspector to check the new house before closing?

I plan to.  This is only to document any flaws found during the construction process.  Although, they have a one year "fit and finish" warranty, I just need a 2nd set of eyes to help me look for things.

I will also do the "KB Home Test."  If any of the workmanship feels like a KB Home, then I will complain and have them resolve it.

I expect the grout in the bathroom to be done correctly as well as the pipes under the sink.  The counter top should be smooth with no gaps.  I don't expect to cabnets to have any irregular size holes or punched out to fit pipes.  (like my dad used to do unprofessionally)  They better be cut evenly or they replace the entire cabinet.

I think there is a walkthrough with their contractor who will probably downplay any flaws.

gaogi said:
I remember during the walk through, they mentioned something about being able to call them shortly after you move in for them to come and touch up any dings or chips on the wall your mover may have made.  Has anyone actually called them up on this?  What do they actually do?  If they just come in and touch up paint, then I probably won't call them.  But if they actually come in and do some minor patch/drywall work, I might give them a call.

I called them on the touch up service.  They did a good job.  Totally different experience vs. the buying and design center experience.  My customer service gentleman, Ralph is very helpful.  Hopefully, you get him too, but I'm not sure if he handles San Mateo, he does do Santa Maria and Santa Clara.

snut100 said:
irvine123searching said:
Do you guys hire or plan to hire an inspector to check the new house before closing?

I plan to.  This is only to document any flaws found during the construction process.  Although, they have a one year "fit and finish" warranty, I just need a 2nd set of eyes to help me look for things.

I will also do the "KB Home Test."  If any of the workmanship feels like a KB Home, then I will complain and have them resolve it.

I expect the grout in the bathroom to be done correctly as well as the pipes under the sink.  The counter top should be smooth with no gaps.  I don't expect to cabnets to have any irregular size holes or punched out to fit pipes.  (like my dad used to do unprofessionally)  They better be cut evenly or they replace the entire cabinet.

I think there is a walkthrough with their contractor who will probably downplay any flaws.

Do you know when/how many times do you need your own inspector?

kubert13 said:
I'd like to hear specifically what was so bad about the bad Design Center experiences.

I also had difficult experiences with the design center I had to use, but I definitely got them to sway on several things.

Thankfully, like Motor Court said, I can do a lot of things on my own so I didnt have to pay for things from te design center. And yes, my home purchase was mostly about the site that was chosen.

What do you need to know?  The whole sales process is flawed and things are out of order.  Did you really need to plan in stage 1, that there would be a door from the master to the master bath?  I'm probably ignorant but it doesnt make any sense.  They didnt tell me what I could and couldnt do, so I lost my fireplace (oh well) and my 4 BR.  They said "don't worry, you can install the french door", NOT.  The sales people tell you one thing and the design center another.  I asked for the french door (as an exception) and didnt even get a reply.  Later, I asked about it, it was "oh no, its too late".  For what?  Etch that door frame and give me a damn door.  Why did I have to choose whether or not I wanted baseboards in stage 2?  Wouldnt it make sense that you pick that out with flooring or something?  Anyways, that has less to do with the design center and more to do with TIC/IP...

For the design center experience - they give you a login to studiochateau.com - but they treat you like an idiot.  The options you can sort through change as the stage of your selection process changes.  Further, they don't give you a lot of information, and they don't give you any pictures.  Also, there isn't really a "catalog" of what's available.  You have to think about it, shop for yourself, come in and hope your designer is not lazy that day "Oh, we don't have anything like that".  They show you samples here and there, and there isn't a real easy way to explore all your options.  You come in when you have an appointment, they show you samples and then you are supposed to know right then and there what you want.  Even buying a car is easier!  Several times, I saw a different sample of something on a different visit that I would have been interseted in.  They have limited samples.  For example, if your designer brings a specific backsplash sample to the stoneyard to meet you to match, then everyone else is out of luck that day!  They definitely dont tell you everything -  I paid 500 to add a buffet where home management would be.  That was in an early stage.  only later did I find out it'd be an extra $3K to include the same countertop and backsplash on that buffet.  Thanks for letting me know!  There is nothing about them that says "how can we improve", rather its "this is how things are done so tough luck!"    I will be sure to provide Deb Foster my comments at the conclusion of the process.  They also have no pics of some options - for example, there is an island option in one of the models... there are no pics or samples of what it would look like.  Would you buy a car soley on the stock photo? 

Basically, their ideal buyer is one who knows exactly what they want, with no budget in mind so they can shuffle you in and out as fast as possible while making sure you spend as much money as possible.  It's not about creating the house YOU want, its about them. 

I have more to say, but I'll stop the rant for now.    In any event, I'm excited about moving in (just for the sake of moving in), but the whole process has been more of a negative than a positive for me...

do you guys ever worry that the builder will figure out who you are?  i was a bit shocked and surprised that the lambert ranch folks knew who i was on TI.  its not exactly hard to figure out but it did surprise me that they read my posts.  i really dont say anything online that i wouldnt feel comfortable saying in person but still...

Back