San Mateo Phase 2++ @ Stonegate

irvinemonkey said:
OP, what do you plan on doing for backyard landscaping and what is the estimated cost if you don't mind me asking?

Actually to anyone who has purchased new construction if you don't mind sharing some details I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

For my san mateo home,  for about 500 sq.ft. of pavers,  irrigation, auto/timer sprinklers, electrical prep wiring for lighting and plants it cost us $5000.

i left one side (4ft wide) unpaved, just ground covering... and the hoa wants 2 ft along the back and about half the length of the other side where the gate is to be left unpaved.  my neighbors paid about the same +/- $1000.

villagepeople said:
irvinemonkey said:
OP, what do you plan on doing for backyard landscaping and what is the estimated cost if you don't mind me asking?

Actually to anyone who has purchased new construction if you don't mind sharing some details I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

For my san mateo home.  for about 500 sq.ft. of pavers,  irrigation, auto/timer sprinklers, electrical prep wiring for lighting and plants for $5000.

i left one side (4ft wide) unpaved, just ground covering... and they want 2 ft along the back and about half the length of the other side where the gate is to be left unpaved.  my neighbors paid about the same +/- $1000.

Villagepeople, whats the approximate size of your backyard?

kubert13 said:
villagepeople said:
irvinemonkey said:

Thanks!

For my san mateo home.  for about 500 sq.ft. of pavers,  irrigation, auto/timer sprinklers, electrical prep wiring for lighting and plants for $5000.

i left one side (4ft wide) unpaved, just ground covering... and they want 2 ft along the back and about half the length of the other side where the gate is to be left unpaved.  my neighbors paid about the same +/- $1000.

Villagepeople, whats the approximate size of your backyard?

500 sq + i'd estimate 100 sq ft unpaved... ~600 sq. ft. total.

villagepeople said:
irvinemonkey said:

Thanks!

For my san mateo home,  for about 500 sq.ft. of pavers,  irrigation, auto/timer sprinklers, electrical prep wiring for lighting and plants it cost us $5000.

i left one side (4ft wide) unpaved, just ground covering... and the hoa wants 2 ft along the back and about half the length of the other side where the gate is to be left unpaved.  my neighbors paid about the same +/- $1000.

... to add to that i think the materials cost was $6/sq ft and $1.5/sq. ft for labor and then the rest the ground covering, the sprinklers and the plants (the plants were quite expensive actually).  Initially I tried to get away with no plant and no sprinklers leaving the unpaved area as just an herb garden but that got rejected.. they required sprinklers and plants which added a little more than 1k to my original estimate.

villagepeople said:
... to add to that i think the materials cost was $6/sq ft and $1.5/sq. ft for labor and then the rest the ground covering, the sprinklers and the plants (the plants were quite expensive actually).  Initially I tried to get away with no plant and no sprinklers leaving the unpaved area as just an herb garden but that got rejected.. they required sprinklers and plants which added a little more than 1k to my original estimate.
Not even herb garden in the backyard?  :mad:
This is going too far.
Next HOA will want to control furniture inside the home and the models of your cars in your garage.

i really dont understand why HOAs have any say regarding the backyard at all.  as long as it doesnt exceed a certain height or create noise, why would they care how my backyard looks?  is it to please the 4-5 neighbors who might be able to see my backyard from their second floor??  seriously, someone explain the logic here

irvinehomeowner said:
Could you go all paved area and no herb garden?

nope, they wanted 2 ft min away from the wall along the 3 sides.  to clarify they said i can have an herb garden... just not the whole buffer zone.

Are those zero lot lines on some sides? That's probably why you have a "buffer zone" and require HOA approval.

For true detached SFRs, I don't think there is as stringent HOA requirements.

rkp said:
i really dont understand why HOAs have any say regarding the backyard at all.  as long as it doesnt exceed a certain height or create noise, why would they care how my backyard looks?  is it to please the 4-5 neighbors who might be able to see my backyard from their second floor??  seriously, someone explain the logic here

i believe it is so you dont plant anything that can grow roots that can jack up the dividing wall or hit the surrounding foundations since the homes are so close.

irvinehomeowner said:
Are those zero lot lines on some sides? That's probably why you have a "buffer zone" and require HOA approval.

Maricopa has the same 2 feet from the wall restrictions.

gaogi said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Maricopa has the same 2 feet from the wall restrictions.
Is there a requirement to fill that 2 feet with something other than dirt/rocks/wood chips? I know that when you concrete a backyard, you usually have to leave space on the sides for drainage but that's something like 6 inches to 1 foot and you don't have to fill it with anything like grass/plants/herbs.

irvinehomeowner said:

I'm not sure what it means to have zero lot lines... in all my paperwork we do have clearly defined property lines.  When I asked why is this zoned a condo vs a sfr.. they said a minimum of 5 feet to separate you from and your neighbors as well as the street is required.  My neighbor said that she got approval from the hoa to only do 2 sides (the back and the side w/o the door) with that buffer zone.

villagepeople said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I'm not sure what it means to have zero lot lines... in all my paperwork we do have clearly defined property lines.  When I asked why is this zoned a condo vs a sfr.. they said a minimum of 5 feet to separate you from and your neighbors as well as the street is required.  My neighbor said that she got approval from the hoa to only do 2 sides (the back and the side w/o the door) with that buffer zone.

Zero lot line = neighbor's home acts as part of the property line (i.e. one wall of your backyard is actually your neighbors house instead of a free standing separation wall.

Normally for that side, you can't have plants growing underneath as it might intrude on your neighbor's foundation.

irvinehomeowner said:
Is there a requirement to fill that 2 feet with something other than dirt/rocks/wood chips? I know that when you concrete a backyard, you usually have to leave space on the sides for drainage but that's something like 6 inches to 1 foot and you don't have to fill it with anything like grass/plants/herbs.

From the Stonegate design guidlines for detached condos:

Paving material shall be set back a minimum of two (2)
feet from existing rear and side yard privacy walls to
accommodate planting.

For single family detached homes:

Flatwork must be set back two (2) feet from the property
line walls within the rear yard to provide a planting area
between patios and the property line wall.  Excessive
hardscape in the rear yard will require mitigation with
substantial tree canopy as determined by the DRC.

It seems like they just want you to plant something. 

irvinemonkey said:

Backyard will just have the trellis.  Probably a screen or cover over the trellis for shade.  I will put in some tables and chairs.  The rest of the yard belongs to my wife.  She will just grow vegetables and fruits.

rkp said:
i didnt mean to insult OP...assuming you can handle the additional $14K, thinking of reasons why a buyer wouldnt jump at it?  for builders, its a smart up-sell.  i figure more of them will start offering these.  i am surprised irvine company gives the conservatory for free

None taken.  I started this thread to share ideas so people in the same situation can avoid some of the potential pitfalls and everyone's opinion is welcomed.  Some first time buyers may not realize the amount of BS you get from TIC and the Design Center.  As for the spending the extra 14K, I could have done it but the wife was strongly opposed to it because she needed to see it first because it may potentially affect "her" backyard space or "her" kitchen, and we were not given enough time about the secret phase zero.  From contract signing, it was about 2 weeks.

Reactions: rkp
snut100 said:
irvinemonkey said:

Backyard will just have the trellis.  Probably a screen or cover over the trellis for shade.  I will put in some tables and chairs.  The rest of the yard belongs to my wife.  She will just grow vegetables and fruits.

rkp said:
i didnt mean to insult OP...assuming you can handle the additional $14K, thinking of reasons why a buyer wouldnt jump at it?  for builders, its a smart up-sell.  i figure more of them will start offering these.  i am surprised irvine company gives the conservatory for free

None taken.  I started this thread to share ideas so people in the same situation can avoid some of the potential pitfalls and everyone's opinion is welcomed.  Some first time buyers may not realize the amount of BS you get from TIC and the Design Center.  As for the spending the extra 14K, I could have done it but the wife was strongly opposed to it because she needed to see it first because it may potentially affect "her" backyard space or "her" kitchen, and we were not given enough time about the secret phase zero.  From contract signing, it was about 2 weeks.

Hey snut, thanks for sharing your opinion.  It's nice to hear people who are actually going through the process of purchasing a new home rather than those who just have opinions w/o going through it (not pointing any fingers.)

Have you decided on any other designer options?  The one thing that I splurged on when purchasing my home last year was installing built-in speakers in the TV room.  They probably costed a lot more than normal, but being able to get them installed before the walls go up made it worth it to me.

Big waste of time today at the Design Center.  Rather than help you pick out options, you are rushed through the appointment.  They show you the 9 block granite samples in 3 color zones and tell you that your counter top will be in the range of colors.  Seems like they will pick the cheapest one if you don't pay to pick your own.  These people act like Saturday appointments are so sacred and hard to come by that they are doing you the favor of just showing up for work.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?  HAVE YOU DECIDED WHAT YOU WANT?  DID YOU BRING YOUR CHECKBOOK?"

Our appointment was like ordering off a drive through menu.  Of course, you are encouraged to look around at their design studio that they are so proud of.  Just don't expect anyone to make eye contact with you.

The big advice she gave me was that if I had my heart set on the fridge-washer-dryer, I should pay for it now because there was a couple that got mad because they changed the model at the end of the building phase.

I have better advice, if you want to save money, buy your fridge-washer-dryer from some place else.  If you buy through Irvine Pacific, save the receipt.  Either option you choose, check out the So Cal Ed website to see if your model can qualify for a energy star rebate.

This was the options I picked today:

3 recessed lights for master bedroom @ $120 each
1 dimmer recessed light for master bedroom @ $225
Took the standard appliance package (stove, microwave, range hood, and dishwasher) for $0
Banquette in Dining room @ $1582
Double sided mirror door in master closet @ $482 (I regret picking this and should have got the standard door, then I will buy my own mirror door and I will have 1 door as a spare)
Full pantry cabinets in kitchen @ $1602
Cabinets about master toilet @ $344
Standard cabinets (I like them better)
Standard cabinet knobs (I like them better)
Standard door handles (I like them better than egg shaped ones)

Crown molding in bedroom is $1221 so I passed.  She told me on my first appointment that it was included but denied it at our appointment.  She meant the light box indentation in the ceiling.  Then I asked her about the epoxy in the garage and she said it was done at a later stage because she wants me to come back and waste time.  Let me pick all the OPTIONS now!  Apparently, I know more about the options than she does.  To amuse myself, I asked her about the epoxy that is done by TIC vs. contractors.

She states that by selecting the epoxy option, it's done for you before you move in and that saves you time.  Their epoxy is 7 layers strong with a 7 year warranty against chipping.  Total BS.  I am going to copy and paste from the catalog:

This system consists of vinyl paint chips embedded in three layers of epoxy and coated with one layer of polyurethane.  Clean-up is easy and concrete dusting is eliminated.  This product is resistant to oil, gas and transmission fluid.  **Please Note That This Product is Not Scratch-Proof - 5 Year Warranty Protects Against Lifting.**

I guess she cannot count.  Next appointment is on a Thursday some time next month.  So far she hasn't done JACK except put in options that we want.  I could have done it online and save a bunch of time.

The only fun part of this for me is going to the build site and watching my house change week to week.

thanks for sharing your experience snut.  i think once they have the main sale, the rest is just extra and not worth too much effort

also i dont get why the design center has to be in another place.  LR, augusta, and others have the design center right there. 

rkp said:
also i dont get why the design center has to be in another place.  LR, augusta, and others have the design center right there. 
Makes it easier for TIC/iPac... they are selling multiple 'hoods so having it at one place is more efficient.

Back