Retail Openings and Closures

Wendy's still has the $6 Biggie bag. And there is a $6 Double Cheeseburger combo in the McDs app (used to be $5 and used to be the Chicken Sandwich or Big Mac).

But yes... most combos are $10+ and even app exclusive specials are expensive.

And if you try to go healthier non-fast food... you're looking at $15+.

Subway is a good deal if you have a family and need to feed 4. I've always been able to find BOGO Footlongs that work at Woodbury Subway (on the app). Just keep checking SD for the codes. Comes out to 2 footlongs for about $12 then everyone gets a 6inch paired with chips (from grocery) and a drink. We do this about once a week.

Subway is a good deal if you have a family and need to feed 4. I've always been able to find BOGO Footlongs that work at Woodbury Subway (on the app). Just keep checking SD for the codes. Comes out to 2 footlongs for about $12 then everyone gets a 6inch paired with chips (from grocery) and a drink. We do this about once a week.
You get what you pay for. For $20 you can get a pound of grass fed ground beef, buns and produce to make 4 outstanding burgers with much higher nutritional content. For $30 everyone gets a half pound burger.

Unfortunately my family will only eat take-out subs from Jersey Mike's.

So if I go to Subway, it's alone and no one to share BOGO with (although I guess I could make it last a few days).

I went recently to see if they use that slicer like Jersey Mike's, they did not.

They have Nep in the center with this new ROL Hand Bar and Sup in Irvine. I thought they were also going to have another concept for dinner with the Nep space (old EMC) in Irvine, but I can't remember now.

It's Kin Izakaya for dinner in the same location as Nep for brunch/lunch. They close in the afternoon and flip the concept when they reopen later in the day. (I'm referring to the ex-EMC space in Heritage Plaza)

It's Kin Izakaya for dinner in the same location as Nep for brunch/lunch. They close in the afternoon and flip the concept when they reopen later in the day. (I'm referring to the ex-EMC space in Heritage Plaza)
They do the same thing with the Nep in FV. In the evening it becomes Gen. although they are temporarily closed right now.

A lot of fast food combo prices are $10+ now. Was at Wendy's yesterday and saw some at $15. It's shocking to say the least.

That's inflation for you when you have to pay fast food workers a minimum of $20/hr (starting April 1st) so prices will keep going higher unfortunately. Best value and tasting burgers is still In'N'Out.

Northern Cafe's service style can be confusing.

There are a few times when I'm sitting there and I see someone sit down at a table waiting for someone to take their order.

It's changed... when it first opened, it was like fast casual and you go to the cashier to order but they don't have a menu board behind them so it's not obvious, you have to get a menu (which they have at the tables).

Now I think you are supposed to get a table first, look at the menu and then go to the counter to order.

Not sure if they've corrected that since but it's not obvious you have to go the cashier to order.

Maybe for the Westpark location they will configure it so that you know you have to go to the cashier first. More signage will help the UCI location.

A lot of fast food combo prices are $10+ now. Was at Wendy's yesterday and saw some at $15. It's shocking to say the least.

If you get the app, you can always get $2 off any combo, and they regularly have even better promotional deals if you're not picky about which combo to try.

The other day I got a Dave's Double for $2 through the app!

The $1 single and $2 double are good through 3/6. No other purchase required
As of about a month ago the Wendy’s app doesn’t have a time limit between orders to use an app offer like the McDonalds app (15 minutes). So you can place multiple pick up orders by placing the pick up order. For pick up orders they charge your card and start making the orders so they are ready when you get there. On the way home from kids activities today I’ll be placing the orders to get the single and double for $3

You know how Flame Broilers popped up everywhere in Irvine? And then slowly Wagyu Grill replace them? Just found out that the Wagyu Grill that just opened in Crossroads has now become Aloha 21... a Hawaiian BBQ place similar to Aloho BBQ in The District. Menu is almost the same so I wonder if they are related.

I still prefer Da Luau over in Cypress Village but like the Aloha in The District, portions are huge... so get the Mini meal.... which is $12.99 now... I remember long ago they were around $6-8.

You know how Flame Broilers popped up everywhere in Irvine? And then slowly Wagyu Grill replace them? Just found out that the Wagyu Grill that just opened in Crossroads has now become Aloha 21... a Hawaiian BBQ place similar to Aloho BBQ in The District. Menu is almost the same so I wonder if they are related.

I still prefer Da Luau over in Cypress Village but like the Aloha in The District, portions are huge... so get the Mini meal.... which is $12.99 now... I remember long ago they were around $6-8.
The good ol' days when the main plates were barely $10 and I ate it for 3 meals.

My wife gets the plate with the ribs - she loves that dish. It had gotten discontinued and she stopped eating there but they have brought it back and now we get takeout from there.

Try Wagyu Meat & Grill on Culver or Irvine Center. Every day from 2p-5p they have "Buy 2 Plates, Get 1 Free". It's a savings of around $15. They have a rib plate as well but their beef and chicken are both good. I love the mac so I always order double Mac there.

I usually go to the Irvine Center location so can't say for certain that the Culver location has this same deal.

Try Wagyu Meat & Grill on Culver or Irvine Center. Every day from 2p-5p they have "Buy 2 Plates, Get 1 Free". It's a savings of around $15. They have a rib plate as well but their beef and chicken are both good. I love the mac so I always order double Mac there.

I usually go to the Irvine Center location so can't say for certain that the Culver location has this same deal.
As I posted above, the Culver one in Crossroads has converted to Aloha 21, a Hawaiian BBQ place.

The other Wagyu that recently converted from a Flame Broiler is the one on Sand Canyon.

Back