Retail Openings and Closures

Anyone try California Gogi in TMP yet?

Walked by on the way to Class 302 the other night and it looked like ghost town. 

Maybe I missed the crowd?

JustSayin said:
Anyone try California Gogi in TMP yet?

Walked by on the way to Class 302 the other night and it looked like ghost town. 

Maybe I missed the crowd?
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,1956.msg250503.html#msg250503

Tried it last week - see link. Wasn't crowded when I went either. Wonder how long it'll survive since the foods not very good. Unlike the UCI location, it doesn't have the benefit of all the asian college kids.

Sorry-- missed your post.

I tried Urban Seoul on a whim and found it surprisingly good.  Was hoping for similar result at Gogi.
I'll still give it a try at some point-- if it's still around.

I hope you're right abt Urban Plates.  That'll be a nice addition to the rotation.

University [Town] Center update:

Berkeley Dog closed. :(

One of the few places in Irvine that served corned beef hash.

A new shaved snow place called Snow Monster took over the spot where Snowflakez was.

Chick-Fil-A opened.

Salad Republic closed (not a shocker).

A new sandwich shop called Jimmy John's opened (never been).

Mendocino Farms and Slapfish are opening soon.

irvinehomeowner said:
University [Town] Center update:

Berkeley Dog closed. :(

One of the few places in Irvine that served corned beef hash.

A new shaved snow place called Snow Monster took over the spot where Snowflakez was.

Chick-Fil-A opened.

Salad Republic closed (not a shocker).

A new sandwich shop called Jimmy John's opened (never been).

Mendocino Farms and Slapfish are opening soon.

I actually like the drinks at Snow Monster... They originated from the Bolsa area...

RibEye said:
qwerty said:
when is burntzilla opening - i cant wait to go there.

I spoke to one of the owners this weekend, and they are aiming to open in the next 2-3 weeks, barring any delays.
Must be delays.

How long does it take to open a hotdog and sliders eatery? Man.

I'm posting here instead of "Food & Dining" so Iho doesn't spank me again for creating a double post in a different area. If it hasn't been mentioned already (from my brief skim, I don't think it has, search feature is on-again / off-again) Johnnie's New York Pizzeria has closed in Orchard Hills. It was already mentioned here that the Ugly Pie Co. will be moving in, well, that is the spot it's taking. Not to be confused with Johnny's Real New York Pizza in Quail Hill. I hope this helps.

Does anyone know who will be moving into the retail & commercial site at the corner of Alton & Barranca in the "Great Park"? I hope it's something good. The TI search feature is still broken for me so I don't know if it has already been mentioned somewhere.

SoCal said:
Does anyone know who will be moving into the retail & commercial site at the corner of Alton & Barranca in the "Great Park"? I hope it's something good. The TI search feature is still broken for me so I don't know if it has already been mentioned somewhere.

Broadcom
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/broadcom-642054-irvine-company.html

"Irvine-based tech giant Broadcom will move to Great Park Neighborhoods after agreeing to buy land for a new 1.1 million-square-foot corporate headquarters, the company announced Thursday. It has the option to expand to up to 2 million square feet. The campus will be designed by M. Arthur Gensler Jr. & Associates, Inc. and built by DPR Construction. It will include development labs and open-office work spaces. "

SoCal said:
O.k., thanks. Any word on the merchants?? Crossing my fingers for some good shopping.

I think we're many years away from any great park retail. Retail is usually the quickest to build and occupy so they plan it last. I'd think 2017 would be when we'd start to hear about some retailers.

that is a special case, at the height of housing bubble. even to this day you have to be careful about stale/expired food in Vons

irvinehomeowner said:
paperboyNC said:
I think we're many years away from any great park retail. Retail is usually the quickest to build and occupy so they plan it last.
Unless it's Orchard Hills. They did the reverse. :)

paperboyNC said:
SoCal said:
O.k., thanks. Any word on the merchants?? Crossing my fingers for some good shopping.

I think we're many years away from any great park retail. Retail is usually the quickest to build and occupy so they plan it last. I'd think 2017 would be when we'd start to hear about some retailers.

Is this true?  Seems like that WF @ Spectrum is going to take an awfully long time to build/occupy.  I think they broke ground middle of last year.  Scheduled for Spring 2016 opening which probably means summer 2016. 

Gensler is a top architectural firm in the country. Besides the Broadcom campus this firm is also planning the Great Park overall plan and connectivity. Continuity and organic fluidity is crucial for a successful city. The biggest problem of all suburbs is each neighborhood has its fortresses walls and few pedestrians ever ventures out of the walls to walk to other neighborhoods or to retail. As a result we see all these sidewalks, crosswalks and parkways but not a soul. The big idea of Beacon Park and PP is front doors greet the streets thus eliminating the prison walls that hide the neighborhoods.

paperboyNC said:
SoCal said:

Broadcom
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/broadcom-642054-irvine-company.html

"Irvine-based tech giant Broadcom will move to Great Park Neighborhoods after agreeing to buy land for a new 1.1 million-square-foot corporate headquarters, the company announced Thursday. It has the option to expand to up to 2 million square feet. The campus will be designed by M. Arthur Gensler Jr. & Associates, Inc. and built by DPR Construction. It will include development labs and open-office work spaces. "

irvinehomeowner said:
Got an email that the CPK on Michelson closed yesterday.

Last time I was there, they were looking for a space to move to but maybe not.

All the Build Your Own pizza places probably killed their business (why pay $15 when you can pay $7.50?).
To confirm what Joe Irvine said in the breakfast thread, CPK is indeed opening in the El Cholo spot off of Jeffrey and Alton. It's weird because Pizza:90 is also opening nearby where the old ZPizza was.

And MooYa looks close to opening its doors... although not sure how well they will do considering SmashBurger down the road doesn't seem to busy and there is a McDs just across the parking lot.

I guess Mooyah opened yesterday in Alton Square (off of Alton/Jeffrey).

My kid thought (hoped) it was Korean food but it's a burger/hot dog/fries place.

We'll check it out this week.

Also a place called Cookie Connection opened in the Crossroads plaza (next to that new Floyds 99 barbershop... which was strange since there is a HairMasters in the same row of shops).

irvinehomeowner said:
Also a place called Cookie Connection opened in the Crossroads plaza (next to that new Floyds 99 barbershop... which was strange since there is a HairMasters in the same row of shops).

It's expensive for a cookie.  $2.50 for one IIRC.  I wonder how these places survive in a strip mall.  Maybe they do a lot of parties & custom orders?

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

It's expensive for a cookie.  $2.50 for one IIRC.  I wonder how these places survive in a strip mall.  Maybe they do a lot of parties & custom orders?

ill have to try out the cookie connection. the place i love in San Diego (https://thecravory.com/) charges $2/cookie at their store.  my sister in law is coming up this weekend and bringing me a dozen of them. ill see how this place stacks up. the cravory in San Diego does pretty well with a lot of online orders and business orders.

Back