Retail Openings and Closures

JustSayin said:
Peets in the District closed. 

In other news, Starbucks continues its world domination.

Ahhh...just when the Union Market place was opening up.  That was a tough location for people to drop by.  The one at OH is super popular.

Irvinecommuter said:
JustSayin said:
Peets in the District closed. 

In other news, Starbucks continues its world domination.

Ahhh...just when the Union Market place was opening up.  That was a tough location for people to drop by.  The one at OH is super popular.

Yep!  That location is my favorite alternate to the 45 min line at Starbucks @NP.

The only downside is all the shaved, spandex wearing bike riders.  #Scary!

Will there be another coffee shop opening up?  The worse is that they didn't let you bring it into AMC.  Had to hide it in my wife's purse.

NYT said:
Yellowfin Fish Grill closed at least a couple weeks ago in Woodbury Town Center. Good riddance. They sucked as Oceanic Fish Grill, then they redecorated and made some changes to their menu and re-opened as Yellowfin. Too bad the quality/taste of their food didn't improve. I'm glad there's the space now for a new dining option there. Indian or Persian or Thai would be much appreciated.

We liked it at first and then they started jacking up the prices and making some sides "premium"...when two entrees start drifting into the $25 range, I don't need to go to a casual eatery for so so fish.

jmoney74 said:
Will there be another coffee shop opening up?  The worse is that they didn't let you bring it into AMC.  Had to hide it in my wife's purse.
In the Union Market food hall, Portola Coffee.

irvinehomeowner said:
jmoney74 said:

Hope they do this food hall right, suffered through another visit to the Anaheim Packing district.  No parking, no tables, no places to sit and eat your shitty overpriced food.  $20 for 6 popsicles??  GTFO

ps9 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
jmoney74 said:

Hope they do this food hall right, suffered through another visit to the Anaheim Packing district.  No parking, no tables, no places to sit and eat your shitty overpriced food.  $20 for 6 popsicles??  GTFO

The parking over there is already pretty bad IMO. Not sure how the food hall will make it better unless there's some plans underway I don't know about. Once whole foods opens up by the spectrum, I can't see myself going over there that much anymore if at all.

Yep, the biggest issue with The District is parking and layout.

Whoever designed that center should be banned from retail design forever.

That road is going to get more traffic with all the pedestrians walking over to the Union Market.

Some sort of pedestrian bridge from the parking lot over to the food hall should help.  Otherwise its gonna be a worse bottleneck.  I guess if you're gonna spend $10 at Portola coffee, valet should be a no brainer.

It'll be interesting to see the impact once tenants start moving into the nearby low income housing. 
There are a couple of potential culture clashes that could hurt business in the District:

Low income tenants vs. affluent Whole-Foods shoppers, and
"ethnically diverse" tenants vs. FCB Costco shoppers.

JustSayin said:
It'll be interesting to see the impact once tenants start moving into the nearby low income housing. 
There are a couple of potential culture clashes that could hurt business in the District:

affluent Whole Food shoppers aren't shopping there enough.  The turnover on the food items is terrible.  Be careful for rotting food.  Picked up some cornbread that molded the very next day.

jmoney74 said:
JustSayin said:

affluent Whole Food shoppers aren't shopping there enough.  The turnover on the food items is terrible.  Be careful for rotting food.  Picked up some cornbread that molded the very next day.

I never got Whole Foods...everything is overpriced and easily available elsewhere for less.  Sprouts and Trader Joes are far better choices.

Irvinecommuter said:
jmoney74 said:
JustSayin said:

I never got Whole Foods...everything is overpriced and easily available elsewhere for less.  Sprouts and Trader Joes are far better choices.

The meats are way better at WF. Fruit/veggies are sometimes better too. Also they have fresh bread. Each of those places serves a purpose. I have to shop at all 3 (and more) to get my grocery shopping done. Wish they would come out with a consolidated shopping emporium of sorts.

How are you guys getting to the District?

I always enter through Warner or Tustin Ranch and don't have a problem with the traffic.

Vinster said:

I always enter through Warner or Tustin Ranch and don't have a problem with the traffic.
When you come in through Warner, have you gone down that street between the Costco and the gas station? It's like people don't know what a stop sign means.

And if you come in through Tustin Ranch, try turning into that Target, it's backed up there so much, people can't even back out of their spaces in front of Daphnes.

From Warner, make a U turn at Tustin Ranch, so you can get into the Costco parking lot by making a right turn on Warner. Once in the Costco parking lot (this is the least traffic area around the Costco), drive like a Paris and make your way and park between Lucilles and Lowes, so you skip the stop signs on Park Ave.

Similarly, if you are coming in from Tustin Ranch, you can make right turns into the same parking lot once you pass Target.

Then cross over Park Ave and head into the District. Make sure you cross as many intersections as many times as possible as a pedestrian, further impeding the road traffic.

irvinehomeowner said:
Vinster said:

When you come in through Warner, have you gone down that street between the Costco and the gas station? It's like people don't know what a stop sign means.

And if you come in through Tustin Ranch, try turning into that Target, it's backed up there so much, people can't even back out of their spaces in front of Daphnes.

True, but vehicle or foot traffic around Lowes will always be less compared to other areas. Lowes (home improvement stores in general) : FCB, low-income housing, and young Millennials proof

irvinehomeowner said:
Even the CPLS* is getting congested.

*CostcoParkingLotShortcut

I have been to that Target twice and both times I got stuck trying to get out.
I hate that target parking lot.
Perhaps it's because it has more people than other Targets,
or perhaps the design of the shopping center is fucked.

who knows.

Back