Restaurant complaints thread

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1216169309]What, no cream puff fans? The Beard Papa at MainPlace never has a line, it's less expensive than Sprinkles, and less easy to replicate at home. My only b*tch about the Beard Papa at MainPlace is because business is slow, they don't often have flavors beyond the original vanilla. That said, I think that's the best flavor of the bunch.</blockquote>

Those things are nasty.

They?re deep-fried.

I cringe when they inject the custard into it.

Something about that process is unsettling.

Still haven?t found the courage to try one.

Ten, I'm going to guess that you either didn't eat a cream puff or had one <em>very</em> wrongly prepared. They expand due to the use of puff pastry or choux pastry. <a href="http://www.joyofbaking.com/CreamPuffs.html">There is no frying involved</a>.

Beard Papas absolutely rock - original flavor is my favorite. They also feel much lighter than a cupcake - if you manage to limit yourself to just one.

speaking of cakes and custard... layer cake bakery on barranca. if you like tres leches cake, they make a boston cream pie cake which has the same milkiness of tres leches but with layers of custard and chocolate ganache.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1216175360]Ten, I'm going to guess that you either didn't eat a cream puff or had one <em>very</em> wrongly prepared. They expand due to the use of puff pastry or choux pastry. <a href="http://www.joyofbaking.com/CreamPuffs.html">There is no frying involved</a>.</blockquote>

You have a point.

They look deep-fried.

Nice link, btw.

The Katherine Hepburn Brownies look good and low carb.

I might try making those with Splenda rather than sugar.

Gee ten, I thought the eager-to-please girls you date only eat lettuce and plain chicken breasts. Seriously now...cupcakes? After you feed them cupcakes do you spend the rest of the evening pointing out the 6 oz of fat they have on their bodies?

beard papa is huge in Silicon Valley. Its a chain from Japan so draws lots of Asians. Gelsons and BF are glorified Ralphs next to Whole Foods. We have a WF in my town and a superstore up the freeway 5 min (like the one at The District). From the dry aged meat to the sushi to the produce they have the best of everything. They have varieties of wild salmon I have never seen at any other store. I just about threw up when I realized my wife spent $24/lb on some.

[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1216809653]Gee ten, I thought the eager-to-please girls you date only eat lettuce and plain chicken breasts. Seriously now...cupcakes? After you feed them cupcakes do you spend the rest of the evening pointing out the 6 oz of fat they have on their bodies?</blockquote>

Just imagine the day Ten can have them submit to OTC genetic testing to determine breeding-worthiness. Sounds like a great startup to service the young single OC market.

Got violently sick after having lunch at Nieuport 17 in Tustin yesterday. Haven't had food poisoning in a very long time. Made for a miserable afternoon. I won't be headed back any time soon.

To try and steer the thread back on topic: Some bad restaurants

1) Sumo Sushi. . . horrible everything. . . bad sushi rice, cold "hot" dishes, and not to mention expensive.

2) Shabu House (jeffrey).. super expensive. . . small portions. . .bland. Go to the pho restaurant instead.

3) Auld Dubliner. . .just not a fan.

4) Pastagina. .. .pan heated Spaghetti Os

Crowbar--in CdM

These idiots can not figure out how to balance "gastropub" (this is their claim to fame/being different and euro) and "pub." The service is horrible, takes way too long to get drinks/apps/entrees on any given night. They must be trying hard to work on it because they have lost sight of other aspects--such as health codes?! They were just given a "C" for many violations. Including "Vermin/Animals"

[quote author="Boston2theBay" date=1216817873][quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1216809653]Gee ten, I thought the eager-to-please girls you date only eat lettuce and plain chicken breasts. Seriously now...cupcakes? After you feed them cupcakes do you spend the rest of the evening pointing out the 6 oz of fat they have on their bodies?</blockquote>

Just imagine the day Ten can have them submit to OTC genetic testing to determine breeding-worthiness. Sounds like a great startup to service the young single OC market.</blockquote>

Yeah, that would be sweet and very efficient.

Just like entering info on my GPS, destination?.Trophy Wife!

Champagne French Bakery

Great looking pastries, but the breakfast was substandard. My crape had a weird sour taste to it, they said it was the goat cheese but I still think it tasted like spoiled veggies. For a "French Bakery", the French bread roll was day old and soggy.

El Chollo in Irvine.

I am a huge Carnita's fan. Theirs was probably the worst I have ever had. The Salsa was watery and had less spice then Ketchup.

I forget what my wife had but she was just as disappointed as I was.

[quote author="trrenter" date=1236641975]El Chollo in Irvine.

I am a huge Carnita's fan. Theirs was probably the worst I have ever had. The Salsa was watery and had less spice then Ketchup.

I forget what my wife had but she was just as disappointed as I was.</blockquote>

I am actually a fan of El Chollo (mostly because of proximity and the margaritas). That said, one must be extremely careful ordering at this place, as a lot of menu items are terrible (e.g. the Carnitas are subpar for sure). I would suggest ordering the Sonora style Nachos. This large plate of nachos slathered with sonora sauce (think ranchera sauce), refried beans, mounds of cheese, guac and sour cream is the best thing on the menu. It is very much like the nachos at The Office in Cabo.

They have a "hot" salsa that is much better than the standard tomato puree they offer. However, you have to ask for it.

I like their green tamales but last time when I went there to get a burrito, it was mostly beans with a tiny bit of meat. Had to call the waiter to send it back. =/

Thanks for the heads up.

When I go to a mexican restaurant I usually order Carnita's so El Chollo is off the list. I also shy away from hit or miss places because I don't want to find out what is a hit or a miss. Plus if they have hot or mild they should ask which one you want. I may be a white boy but I grew up in La Mirada and Buena park I want the hot stuff.

I like Javiers and I personally like Avilla's as well for Carnita's. Avilla's has been very consistent for me. I like consistency. They don't knock your socks off but you know what you are getting.

El Cholo has its moments. Some good. Some not. But it is CLOSE.

Good Margarita`s and the Seafood Enchilada is my fav.

I agree hit or miss on the Carnita`s.

You need to ask for the Habanero Salsa. Its like an extra $ 1.00

It will give you that kick your looking for.

Seems like they took some things off the menu we liked.

One was the Chile Con Carne that was one of their best dishes IMO.

But the Seafood specials are normally very good.

[quote author="momopi" date=1236643867]I like their green tamales but last time when I went there to get a burrito, it was mostly beans with a tiny bit of meat. Had to call the waiter to send it back. =/</blockquote>

I think we're a bit off topic with the Mexican food hi-jack, but anyway, if anyone wants great burritos (more meat than anything else), try Taqueria de Anda on Tustin Ave. in Orange (not sure of the cross street). The carnitas burritos are the best.

Back