Recommendations for landscaping companies

I'm looking to having my backyard done!! Would like to budget around $30-$40k for it!! Heard good words and got alot of referrals about Mahe!

v7091 said:
I'm looking to having my backyard done!! Would like to budget around $30-$40k for it!! Heard good words and got alot of referrals about Mahe!

In general, for that price it all depends where you live.

I tried calling Andru Kang but nobody picked up or returned my call. Has anybody used Savannascapes? What is the work quality and cost like? [Did a TI search - couldn't find info].

Edited to add : I did end up contacting him by email and he was very responsive while setting up a meeting.

Hello Everyone,

This thread has been very useful for me personally to design my backyard and finish the landscaping project.

I have hired Dunn Gardens (Lauren Dunn) for design of the backyard and contractor SavannahScapes (Sean) for landscaping. Both are good to work with and have done a great job with my backyard. Lauren is very knowledgeable and has worked with Rogers Gardens. You can't go wrong with her designs.

Sean (owner of SavannahScapes) has done lot of homes in our neighbourhood in Stonegate. He has got great excellent reviews from all the neighbours who did with him, hence I went with him. He started the project on time as promised and finished the project in 15 days. His guys came every day even on weekends to finish the job on time (i had only 1 month to submit to HOA for completion). Sean is very professional and inspected the site every day and made sure everything is according to the plan. He used quality materials for our project and never compromised on the quality of the work. He even suggested some changes and improvements which turned out very good.

I strongly recommend both Lauren and Sean for your next landscape project.

All the best.

bramha said:
Hello Everyone,
bramha said:
Hello Everyone,

This thread has been very useful for me personally to design my backyard and finish the landscaping project.

I have hired Dunn Gardens (Lauren Dunn) for design of the backyard and contractor SavannahScapes (Sean) for landscaping. Both are good to work with and have done a great job with my backyard. Lauren is very knowledgeable and has worked with Rogers Gardens. You can't go wrong with her designs.

Sean (owner of SavannahScapes) has done lot of homes in our neighbourhood in Stonegate. He has got great excellent reviews from all the neighbours who did with him, hence I went with him. He started the project on time as promised and finished the project in 15 days. His guys came every day even on weekends to finish the job on time (i had only 1 month to submit to HOA for completion). Sean is very professional and inspected the site every day and made sure everything is according to the plan. He used quality materials for our project and never compromised on the quality of the work. He even suggested some changes and improvements which turned out very good.

All the best.

All the best.

how much did each of them charge and what was done?  I'm looking to get my backyard done.

Do you recommend buying plants/planting soil through the contractor or own your own?
If we go with Go Pavers, he said he'd help us pick plants and install them but we would have to buy the plants, plant soil and bark chips ourselves.
If we go with a regular landscaper we can buy the plants and plantsoil through him so he will warranty it as well.

What do you guys recommend? How expensive is plant soil? What about plants? (I am thinking of podacarpus + star jasmine and maybe a tree depending on HOA and cost)

Thanks!

If Go Pavers will install your plants + soil + bark chips without any extra install cost I say go for it. 

Everything is cheaper if you buy it yourself.  Based on what you're planning, I would suggest getting everything from Home Depot (they have all the plants you're looking for) and they will warranty them for 1 year. 

At first I thought "who would buy plants from Home Depot" but after looking carefully at them, they seem pretty healthy and the price at HD will be cheaper than any local nursery.  If you're getting a large amount of plants you can find some good nurseries in Buena Park / Anaheim / etc. for lower price and they will usually deliver free for purchases over $700ish...

aquabliss said:
If Go Pavers will install your plants + soil + bark chips without any extra install cost I say go for it. 

Everything is cheaper if you buy it yourself.  Based on what you're planning, I would suggest getting everything from Home Depot (they have all the plants you're looking for) and they will warranty them for 1 year. 

At first I thought "who would buy plants from Home Depot" but after looking carefully at them, they seem pretty healthy and the price at HD will be cheaper than any local nursery.  If you're getting a large amount of plants you can find some good nurseries in Buena Park / Anaheim / etc. for lower price and they will usually deliver free for purchases over $700ish...

GoPavers is charging me 1250 or thereabouts for installation of plants + soil + irrigation. However the overall cost including pavers is almost 1000 bucks more than the other landscaper (there is the 'small jobs' cost that go pavers charges etc). And this is without the cost of plants with GoPavers. BUT it looks like the landscaping will be done quicker with go pavers. Tricky decision!! :)

Thanks for the Home Depot rec.

Also do you guys recommend micro drip or bubblers in the planter area?

@whome - go pavers may not be the cheapest but they get the job done fast, you wont have the issue of a contractor showing up 2 days this week, 3 days next week, etc. they laid down about 1,500 sq ft of pavers for me in days. very professional.

qwerty said:
@whome - go pavers may not be the cheapest but they get the job done fast, you wont have the issue of a contractor showing up 2 days this week, 3 days next week, etc. they laid down about 1,500 sq ft of pavers for me in days. very professional.

@ Qwerty - Yes - that is a HUGE plus with GoPavers. They said they can start as soon as the plans are approved by the HOA. The other landscaper said they can start within 30 days of HOA approval. But once they start they said they'll finish with 4-5 days.

My only worry with GoPavers is that since I have zero plant knowledge, am I digging myself into a hole if I go with go pavers?

I have no idea where to buy good plant soil (organic soil with slow release fertilizers) etc. Any tips?

Also what pavers did you use??
I was thinking of going with Belgard Dublin Cobble. Our backyard is super tiny so we are tempted to go with really nice pavers.

It's been so hard getting a hold of KS Landscaping.  I guess they must be really busy. 

I did hit up Sean from SavannaScapes and he seemed like a really cool guy.  Does this sound expensive? I only spent $4000 on my first yard with a non-license contractor (super small yard) and I want to do it right this time.  My yard is pretty tiny (Mulberry, 3500 sqft lot):

Drains: $900
Soil prep, irrigation, barkchip: $1200
15 lights: $1350
Travertine Tiles: $8740
Gasline for BBQ: $950
Sub-Total: $13140

Plants (30 x 5gallon Podocarpus): $975

40 ft retaining stone wall: $4000

Total: $18115

scubasteve said:
It's been so hard getting a hold of KS Landscaping.  I guess they must be really busy. 

I did hit up Sean from SavannaScapes and he seemed like a really cool guy.  Does this sound expensive? I only spent $4000 on my first yard with a non-license contractor (super small yard) and I want to do it right this time.  My yard is pretty tiny (Mulberry, 3500 sqft lot):

Based on previous posts by home owners that seems like super cheap

scubasteve said:

I just remember when I got a quote. That he uses the top quality products. (Such as metal drain covers instead of the plastic drain covers)

I didn't go with them.

scubasteve said:

I would try KS, text him.

eyephone said:
scubasteve said:

I just remember when I got a quote. That he uses the top quality products. (Such as metal drain covers instead of the plastic drain covers)

I didn't go with them.

Any particular reason why you didn't go with Savanna over KS if they used quality parts and are cheaper? 

I actually got on the phone with Andrew once (from KS) and scheduled a time for him to come by.  I had to reschedule and have sent about 4-5 texts with no response.  I'll try emailing next, but I don't have a good feeling if he can't even respond to texts.  The main reason why I would even consider them at this point is because so many people used them on this board.

scubasteve said:
eyephone said:
scubasteve said:

I didn't go with them.

Any particular reason why you didn't go with Savanna over KS if they used quality parts and are cheaper? 

Actually S. was kind of high for me. The parts is non issue to me.

scubasteve said:
eyephone said:
scubasteve said:

I didn't go with them.

I actually got on the phone with Andrew once (from KS) and scheduled a time for him to come by.  I had to reschedule and have sent about 4-5 texts with no response.  I'll try emailing next, but I don't have a good feeling if he can't even respond to texts.  The main reason why I would even consider them at this point is because so many people used them on this board.

I couldn't get a hold of KS over phone but Andu responded to my email. Was very communicative till we met. After that, he was supposed to give me a quote but never did. I didn't bother following up with him because I really liked the other two that I was vetting (Savanna scapes and Go Pavers).

We have finally decided to go with Sean at Savannascapes because his price was lower and he will replace plants himself if they don't work out. We were very close to going with Go Pavers (highly recommend Aaron Barnes) but Sean said he could accommodate our schedule.

He seems to be charging a bit more for me for drains+ irrigations + soil (2500 total) and around 30/plant for the podacarpus.

whome said:
scubasteve said:
eyephone said:
scubasteve said:

I didn't go with them.

I couldn't get a hold of KS over phone but Andu responded to my email. Was very communicative till we met. After that, he was supposed to give me a quote but never did. I didn't bother following up with him because I really liked the other two that I was vetting (Savanna scapes and Go Pavers).

We have finally decided to go with Sean at Savannascapes because his price was lower and he will replace plants himself if they don't work out. We were very close to going with Go Pavers (highly recommend Aaron Barnes) but Sean said he could accommodate our schedule.

He seems to be charging a bit more for me for drains+ irrigations + soil (2500 total) and around 30/plant for the podacarpus.

Maybe you have a bigger yard than me? I got the conservatory option which cuts into my yard.

But that's great that you felt the same way about Sean. I did too, but he was the only person I contacted so far so I haven't committed yet.

@scubasteve - yes that's possible (I haven't seen the Mulberry models though). Our yard is very small though.
However, its also possible that since our yard is so small, he might be tagging on extra cost to make it worthwhile. At this point I am fine with that though I am asking him for the breakup.

Sean quoted me 12/sqft for the belgard pavers that I wanted. Andru said that the Belgard Pavers would run in the ballpark of 18/sqft maximum (with Sean the maximum was 12.50/sqft) which is why I got the impression that Sean was more reasonably priced/affordable.
A friend of mine recommended Sean and they had their backyard done four years ago so I thought that was a good sign..:)
Now crossing my fingers that the job goes smoothly and well! Good luck to you too!

Edited to add :  Sean's standard pavers cost $8/sq ft not 10 (as I misremembered) - so his maximum is 10.50 not 12:50.

whome said:
@scubasteve - yes that's possible (I haven't seen the Mulberry models though). Our yard is very small though.
However, its also possible that since our yard is so small, he might be tagging on extra cost to make it worthwhile. At this point I am fine with that though I am asking him for the breakup.

Sean quoted me 12/sqft for the belgard pavers that I wanted. Andru said that the Belgard Pavers would run in the ballpark of 18/sqft maximum (with Sean the maximum was 12.50/sqft) which is why I got the impression that Sean was more reasonably priced/affordable.
A friend of mine recommended Sean and they had their backyard done four years ago so I thought that was a good sign..:)
Now crossing my fingers that the job goes smoothly and well! Good luck to you too!

Is that $12.5/sq.ft with rebar concrete sub base or sand/gravel base? 

$12.50/ sq.ft are on par with what Go Paver charges for their paver but that Go Paver's price is with using sand and gravel base.  KS like to use concrete rebar sub base which will cost more and maybe this why KS's price is higher.  And if I remember correctly, concrete base with rebar runs close to $5/sq.ft. 

Back