Rate the last movie you saw...

1. The Hunger Games
2. 7.5/10
3. The movie itself was interesting enough to keep me entertained throughout. The movie was well made and I think it lived up to the hype. I had to love Lenny Kravitz and Stanley Tucci, they were great in their roles. Has anyone else out there seen Battle Royale?? The Hunger Games seemed to remind me of that movie. Definitely not as gore-ish or blood thirsty as Battle Royale since the book is for young adults. Apparently it grossed $155M over the weekend, third largest in history behind Dark Knight and Harry Potter 7 P2. But it did shatter the previous opening weekend record for a new series (beat previous record holder Twilight).

@kubert13:

Heh... it's funny you mention Battle Royale... someone told me how good it was and I bought the DVD and it was only okay (I think I bought the sequel too)... but when I saw all this hype about Hunger Games I had the same thought as you.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)

3/10

I don't understand what the hype was about... some uncomfortable scenes, a non-standard protagonist and a fairly poor mystery.

The Hunger Games

8/10

I think the movie is about 2.5 hours long but it does not feel like it at all. pretty entertaining

Wrath of the Titans

6.5/10

I thought Immortals was a better movie. Borderline wait for DVD, or should i say ON DEMAND?

Urban Cowboy
9/10
Another old movie I recorded for free on T.V. Made in 1980. I have a feeling if I'd watched it in 1980 it wouldn't get a very good rating. The movie's appeal grows with time. It is nice to be reminded of why John Travolta became a star to begin with. He is so darn handsome in this film especially compared to what he looks like now. (Eeks!) I liked the story a lot. It's a story about semi-professional bull-riding. I believe it's the first time I've seen Debra Winger in a role. She wasn't that believable but the cast of characters together as a whole was good. I liked the rivalry between Bud and Wes that extended from the mechanical bull all the way to the bedroom as Sissy went from one to the next and back again.

SoCal78 said:
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
2/10
Not surprising. Most Adam Sandler movies suck.
Heh... I liked that movie... but then again... I'm a Kevin James fan.

One of Sandler's "best" was 50 First Dates.

Just watched "About Schmidt" -  7.5/10

Just hope my future kid doesn't turn into Jack's kid when he/she becomes an adult. 

Now going to start working on "The Pacific" miniseries that I was lent

On Netflix:

The Assassination Game - 6/10

I had my doubts as it had Van Damme in it... but surprisingly, like some of the reviews said... his acting was pretty good compared to all his other stuff. An older, wiser Van Damme seems more believable. I mainly watched it for Scott Adkins (his fight scenes in Undisputed 2 & 3 are ridiculous) but he was bleh in this one (he's a better at playing a Russian criminal). When he talks, he actually sounds like Jason Statham.

Tango & Cash on Starz

Sylvester Stallone and Kurt Russell along with Terri Hatcher.  Just like many other 80s action movies, a bit cheesy, but still entertaining (but I like 80s movies so take my review for what it's worth).

Netflix:

"I Saw the Devil"  (Same actor from "Old Boy")

One word to describe this movie "Disturbing".

Eventhough the movie is in Korean (English Subtitles) you can pick up what's going on by just watching the actor's facial expressions.

This movie was done very very very well... I highly recommend watching this movie if you enjoyed "Old Boy" or the likes of Saw I,II,II etc.

I never want to watch Old Boy again... Still makes me cringe...not a big fan of Korean cinema, too disturbing and people always die in the end..

irvinehomeowner said:
I started watching Dhoom 2... I think I need to watch Dhoom first.

Way over the top by the way... hilarious.

That's how most of the Indian action movies are :) IMO Bollywood does romance and family dramas best.

On Netflix:

Merantau 5/10

I thought it was going to be good like Ong Bak... I was disappointed. I guess Indonesian Silat is not as violent as Muy Thai.

I just started watching True Legend... I don't know why I haven't watched this sooner... I love WUSHU!!!

The descendants

8/10

Great acting, some funny moments, also very sad.  A great movie on raw human emotion.  Recommended.

On Netflix:

True Legend - 5/10
It started off well... and had some great combat choreography and an interesting premise... but the story got really hokey and then the last 3rd became a different movie. Michelle Yeoh didn't even have a fight scene.

Someone should remake Five Deadly Venoms or Five Shaolin Masters.

Back