Quail Hill Center. Status on Closures ?

i really like thai bamboo. it's quite pricey though and sometimes their dishes get too heavy and saucy, but that can be said of a lot of irvine asian restaurants. i hope they stick around. their location at the district has very slow business too.

I doubt anyone would do it, but my personal wish list would be for a Chinese bakery with a small selection of groceries (ex. Asian cooking ingredients that I can't find at Albertsons - like large bottle of the good oyster sauce). Something like a 7-11 for the Asians around here.

[quote author="acpme" date=1236210249]i really like thai bamboo. it's quite pricey though and sometimes their dishes get too heavy and saucy, but that can be said of a lot of irvine asian restaurants. i hope they stick around. their location at the district has very slow business too.</blockquote>
Same here... the Far East Fried Rice is awesome.

And they have this rice soup they only serve at lunch that is quite tasty.

Much better than Thai Spice.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1236225645]Wahoos won't happen as long as Sharky's is there.

That's like asking for Subway... or Aloha Hawaiian.</blockquote>
Screw Sharky's, that place blows too. I've never suck bland, dry mexican food in my life. Maybe Flame Broiler can come to the center.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1236602437]True... I wish we had a Jalapeno's like Woodbury... or better yet... Albertos... hehe.</blockquote>
Albertos is a bigger pipe dream than Wahoos. haha One of my clients actually knows a Flame Broiler franchisee so I may just give him a call and see what he can do.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1236601746][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1236225645]Wahoos won't happen as long as Sharky's is there.

Screw Sharky's, that place blows too. I've never suck bland, dry mexican food in my life. Maybe Flame Broiler can come to the center.</blockquote>

Been to Sharky`s only once myself. YUCK. Better off at Del Taco IMO.

I agree on the word BLAND. I dont know how that places has stayed in business this long.

Of all the little restaurants in that center. The Natraj Indian food is my pick.

Great for a lunch with the bread and the hot sauce over chicken. The Indian beer is just right to offset the heat of the curry.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1236641209][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1236601746][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1236225645]Wahoos won't happen as long as Sharky's is there.

Screw Sharky's, that place blows too. I've never suck bland, dry mexican food in my life. Maybe Flame Broiler can come to the center.</blockquote>

Been to Sharky`s only once myself. YUCK. Better off at Del Taco IMO.

I agree on the word BLAND. I dont know how that places has stayed in business this long.

Of all the little restaurants in that center. The Natraj Indian food is my pick.

Great for a lunch with the bread and the hot sauce over chicken. The Indian beer is just right to offset the heat of the curry.</blockquote>
Never tried that Indian place, I'll give it a go this week.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1236219466][quote author="acpme" date=1236210249]i really like thai bamboo. it's quite pricey though and sometimes their dishes get too heavy and saucy, but that can be said of a lot of irvine asian restaurants. i hope they stick around. their location at the district has very slow business too.</blockquote>
Same here... the Far East Fried Rice is awesome.

And they have this rice soup they only serve at lunch that is quite tasty.

Much better than Thai Spice.</blockquote>Agreed. Try the black pepper steak!

I think the writers at the OC Register read the this forum.

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/irvine-orange-county-2332326-retail-quail">Recession rolls into upscale Irvine shopping center</a>

<blockquote>IRVINE ? Cars filled the lot, groups ate in the shade and others sipped from Starbucks cups at Quail Hill Village Center on a recent lunch hour. Behind store windows, though, some merchants said their days might be numbered.

Three out of 37 shops have closed in the past year, several leases are nearing an end, and owners are changing the way they do business at Quail Hill. Sluggish sales, hard-to-get credit and other factors have depressed retail markets elsewhere in the world. At this upscale Irvine Co. marketplace, the bad economy is just beginning to make a dent.

The neighboring village, also called Quail Hill, has seen relatively few bank repossessions, but a wave may be on the way. Seven homes out of 1,646 are in foreclosure, fourteen have defaulted and seven others are up for auction, according to foreclosureradar.com.</blockquote>

[quote author="ABC123" date=1236937784]I think the writers at the OC Register read the this forum.

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/irvine-orange-county-2332326-retail-quail">Recession rolls into upscale Irvine shopping center</a>

<blockquote>IRVINE ? Cars filled the lot, groups ate in the shade and others sipped from Starbucks cups at Quail Hill Village Center on a recent lunch hour. Behind store windows, though, some merchants said their days might be numbered.

Three out of 37 shops have closed in the past year, several leases are nearing an end, and owners are changing the way they do business at Quail Hill. Sluggish sales, hard-to-get credit and other factors have depressed retail markets elsewhere in the world. At this upscale Irvine Co. marketplace, the bad economy is just beginning to make a dent.

The neighboring village, also called Quail Hill, has seen relatively few bank repossessions, but a wave may be on the way. Seven homes out of 1,646 are in foreclosure, fourteen have defaulted and seven others are up for auction, according to foreclosureradar.com.</blockquote></blockquote>
Looks like Juice It Up will be closing up shop in April.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1236944028][quote author="ABC123" date=1236937784]I think the writers at the OC Register read the this forum.

The neighboring village, also called Quail Hill, has seen relatively few bank repossessions, but a wave may be on the way. Seven homes out of 1,646 are in foreclosure, fourteen have defaulted and seven others are up for auction, according to foreclosureradar.com.</blockquote></blockquote>
Looks like Juice It Up will be closing up shop in April.</blockquote>

Tough times for all those in the Quail Hills Center. Lets see how TIC reacts.

At a point all the empty business windows will have an effect on the ability

to sustain rents and sales in the neighorhood.

I've never really understood how TIC thinks they can get away with $4+ per sft in Irvine (if they even go that cheap anymore).

So many bubbles... tech, RE, mortgage, stock and TIC retail leasing.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1236951957]I've never really understood how TIC thinks they can get away with $4+ per sft in Irvine (if they even go that cheap anymore).

So many bubbles... tech, RE, mortgage, stock and TIC retail leasing.</blockquote>
Well, the retailers basically thought that they had a captive audience (residents with money to spend) and were willing to pay whatever it took to be in the Irvine Ranch....sound familar? It's the "I better lease this space now for the going rate or I'll be priced out of the great Irvine retail market" mentality. Not that spending has slowed down, these retailers are beginning to realize that their business models don't fly on 20-50% decline in sales. Unfortunately, this is just the start of small retailers going dark in Irvine.

this thread has been hijacked, so i won't feel bad for saying non-food stuff.

do we really need 3 banks (BoA, WaMu, Wells Fargo) and 1 credit union (Kinecta) in this little shopping center? quail hill is so small it can't fully fill alderwood without non-QH students (told by school admin). someone must think there is mucho $$$ sitting in shady somewhere.

re the empty spaces, i hope they will stuff more restaurants there...

Yeah... when BofA was first being built... I thought it was a fast-food joint because it had a drive-thru... then when they put the 'Coming Soon' sign up... I thought "Another bank?".

[quote author="almon" date=1237462028]this thread has been hijacked, so i won't feel bad for saying non-food stuff.

do we really need 3 banks (BoA, WaMu, Wells Fargo) and 1 credit union (Kinecta) in this little shopping center? quail hill is so small it can't fully fill alderwood without non-QH students (told by school admin). someone must think there is mucho $$$ sitting in shady somewhere.

re the empty spaces, i hope they will stuff more restaurants there...</blockquote>

We got some money in Woodbury too...3 banks: Wells, Citi, and BofA. Well maybe not real money, since all the homes are underwater and all the banks were all bailed out by Obama. We are just missing a credit union to compete with QH ;-) But...we do have the Trader Joe's and The Counter.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1236953515][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1236951957]I've never really understood how TIC thinks they can get away with $4+ per sft in Irvine (if they even go that cheap anymore).

So many bubbles... tech, RE, mortgage, stock and TIC retail leasing.</blockquote>
Well, the retailers basically thought that they had a captive audience (residents with money to spend) and were willing to pay whatever it took to be in the Irvine Ranch....sound familar? It's the "I better lease this space now for the going rate or I'll be priced out of the great Irvine retail market" mentality. Not that spending has slowed down, these retailers are beginning to realize that their business models don't fly on 20-50% decline in sales. Unfortunately, this is just the start of small retailers going dark in Irvine.</blockquote>

You nailed it.

Well said

Back