Poll: Irvine Housing Prediction June 2022

Where will Irvine housing prices be in one year?

• Down over 50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Down 20%

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • Down 10%

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • Down 5%

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Flat

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • Up 5%

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Up 10%

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Up 20%

• Up over 50%

• Other (please specify in post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Liar Loan said:
Wow.... More #brokenclocks than you can shake a stick at.  Even the California Association of Realtors agrees with me!!  For shame! For shame!

Southern California housing prices will fall, some experts say. The question is how much

?It?s noteworthy,? said Jordan Levine, chief economist at the California Assn. of Realtors. ?Prices are going to go down.?

Levine is still putting the final touches on a forecast to be released in July. But for now, he expects the California median sales price for all of 2022 to be up 9.7% from a year earlier, a sharp slowdown from the nearly 20% growth seen in 2021.

Then in 2023, he expects the Federal Reserve?s actions to fight inflation will cause a mild recession and the combination of job losses and higher rates will cause the statewide median price to fall 7.1% compared with this year, with similar declines in Southern California specifically.

Others that recently shifted forecasts to include home price declines in 2023 are Capital Economics, an international economic research firm, and John Burns Real Estate Consulting in Irvine.

In May, John Burns started forecasting that both national and Southern California prices would decline next year, in part because the firm sees a recession as increasingly likely.

In 2023, the consulting firm expects declines in the mid single digits in Los Angeles and Orange counties and for prices to fall in the high single digit range in the Inland Empire.

Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody?s Analytics, said prices could fall even absent a recession.

But if rates rise to around 6.25% or 6.5% and hold there, Zandi said, Southern California prices would probably fall around 5% without a recession and potentially as much as 10% with a recession.

--------------------------------
LA Times article without paywallhttps://archive.ph/1hZRV#selection-2143.0-2143.195

So a 10% increase in 2022 followed by a 7% decline in 2023 is what you consider agreeing with you  :)

Liar Loan said:
Wow.... More #brokenclocks than you can shake a stick at.  Even the California Association of Realtors agrees with me!!  For shame! For shame!

Southern California housing prices will fall, some experts say. The question is how much

?It?s noteworthy,? said Jordan Levine, chief economist at the California Assn. of Realtors. ?Prices are going to go down.?

Levine is still putting the final touches on a forecast to be released in July. But for now, he expects the California median sales price for all of 2022 to be up 9.7% from a year earlier, a sharp slowdown from the nearly 20% growth seen in 2021.

Then in 2023, he expects the Federal Reserve?s actions to fight inflation will cause a mild recession and the combination of job losses and higher rates will cause the statewide median price to fall 7.1% compared with this year, with similar declines in Southern California specifically.

Others that recently shifted forecasts to include home price declines in 2023 are Capital Economics, an international economic research firm, and John Burns Real Estate Consulting in Irvine.

In May, John Burns started forecasting that both national and Southern California prices would decline next year, in part because the firm sees a recession as increasingly likely.

In 2023, the consulting firm expects declines in the mid single digits in Los Angeles and Orange counties and for prices to fall in the high single digit range in the Inland Empire.

Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody?s Analytics, said prices could fall even absent a recession.

But if rates rise to around 6.25% or 6.5% and hold there, Zandi said, Southern California prices would probably fall around 5% without a recession and potentially as much as 10% with a recession.

--------------------------------
LA Times article without paywallhttps://archive.ph/1hZRV#selection-2143.0-2143.195

You are so full of shit, Liar. You said housing would decrease in 2022, not 2023. He's agreeing with the rest of us, not you. We all said that housing price would peak in mid 2022 and then would flatten and decline after that.

Even when you cherry pick, you can't do it right.

Every time I think prices are high in Irvine, I take a look at parts of the Bay to see real craziness. Many of those buyers are in tech and could be remote and if they could, why would they spend $4.125m ($635k over asking) for this:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Cupertino/7646-Berland-Ct-95014/home/1418200

Compared to places like Cupertino and Saratoga, Irvine is dirt cheap still. I know the job market is different there but anecdotally I'm aware of several who sold in the Bay and bought in Orange County.

zovall said:
Every time I think prices are high in Irvine, I take a look at parts of the Bay to see real craziness. Many of those buyers are in tech and could be remote and if they could, why would they spend $4.125m ($635k over asking) for this:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Cupertino/7646-Berland-Ct-95014/home/1418200

Compared to places like Cupertino and Saratoga, Irvine is dirt cheap still. I know the job market is different there but anecdotally I'm aware of several who sold in the Bay and bought in Orange County.

It's because of Monta Vista High... the realtors even mention it in the first sentence.  So they are selling not just the house, but the illusion that the buyer's kid will get into an Ivy...

CalBears: You said housing would decrease in 2022, not 2023.

Liar Loan said:
Prices may not go down very much over the next 12 months as we are in a transitional market.  Just like in 1990-1991 median price was flat, and 2006-2007 was mostly flat, 2022-2023 may also be relatively flat. 

The median price could actually increase for awhile because the sales mix will shift to higher end homes that are less rate sensitive.  It will take a recession with job losses to really knock the legs out from under the housing market and that will take some time to develop.

Is the pressure starting to get to you?

Yousr said:
So a 10% increase in 2022 followed by a 7% decline in 2023 is what you consider agreeing with you  :)

Yes!  If the housing bust only lasts one year, then we'll all be sitting pretty in 2024.  Unfortunately, Orange County has had price declines in about 10 of the past 30 years - 1/3 of the time - because housing busts tend to last about 5-6 years in length. 

If you are saying this time will be different, well, then the burden is on you to explain why. :)

Liar Loan said:

Liar Loan said:
Prices may not go down very much over the next 12 months as we are in a transitional market.  Just like in 1990-1991 median price was flat, and 2006-2007 was mostly flat, 2022-2023 may also be relatively flat. 

The median price could actually increase for awhile because the sales mix will shift to higher end homes that are less rate sensitive.  It will take a recession with job losses to really knock the legs out from under the housing market and that will take some time to develop.

What pressure are you talking about? Are you dumb? Still can't admit you're wrong?

CalBears96 said:
Liar Loan said:

Liar Loan said:

What pressure are you talking about? Are you dumb? Still can't admit you're wrong?

I don't know.  You recently claimed to have predicted a price decline in the second half of 2022, which I quickly showed wasn't true with your own post.  Now you're claiming I predicted something, which anybody can go back one page on this thread to see is not true.  It seems that something is eating away at you.

Liar Loan said:
Yousr said:

Yes!  If the housing bust only lasts one year, then we'll all be sitting pretty in 2024.  Unfortunately, Orange County has had price declines in about 10 of the past 30 years - 1/3 of the time - because housing busts tend to last about 5-6 years in length. 

If you are saying this time will be different, well, then the burden is on you to explain why. :)

I think that even in the worst case scenario that this bust lasts for 5-6 years, just  by considering how much the run up in prices have been over the past couple of years it was completely worth it to buy anytime in 2018, 2019, 2020 and the larger part of 2021. The declines in Irvine are single digit historically and even in five years shouldn?t be more than 50%. Now considering the crazy inflation numbers and the obscenely low interest rates in the past. Borrowing a million bucks and holding doesn?t seem such a risky proposition to me specially for a first time buyer

The price decline prediction depends on which time period we are talking about.  Are we talking about where prices were at the beginning of 2022 or at the very peak which happened in April/May?  If we are talking using prices at the beginning of 2022 then I think prices will probably be flat to up to 5% down but if we are talking about from April/May then we may be talking about price declines of from 10% to up to 15% since prices in April/May were up about 10% from the beginning of 2022.

LL knows he's full of shit.
He just trolling u.
why do you react is the real question....why you letting him in?

It's not him that's the problem.

WTTCHMN said:
zovall said:

It's because of Monta Vista High... the realtors even mention it in the first sentence.  So they are selling not just the house, but the illusion that the buyer's kid will get into an Ivy...

I make this point all the time - Irvine is a smokin deal if remote works for you. The higher you go the harder that is to pull off, and all the biggies want people back in the office. Saratoga is full of (mostly) Asian/South Asian CEOs and some very nice wineries, and over the hill is Santa Cruz. Cupertino is the original aspirational Asian/South Asian suburb. I did some alumni recruiting for the Viterbi School of Engineering and they held a separate session just for the Cupertino high schools. I would wager that the Bay area?s top high schools in aggregate get more UC/USC admit slots than SoCals best. Maybe Stanford/Ivies too.

I?m down here right now and it is such a refreshing change, even watching the local news. It feels so much more relaxed and less serious.

Don?t expect more people are moving down to Irvine from the Bay Area.  Apple/Google is asking all employees to work at the office min 2 days a week.  Recession is coming, employees prefer to hand out with their managers and make sure their jobs are safe.  2nd tier tech companies are laying off people. As of late June, more than 22,000 workers in the U.S. tech sector have been laid off in mass job cuts so far in 2022,

Davidlee199 said:
Don?t expect more people are moving down to Irvine from the Bay Area.  Apple/Google is asking all employees to work at the office min 2 days a week.  Recession is coming, employees prefer to hand out with their managers and make sure their jobs are safe.  2nd tier tech companies are laying off people. As of late June, more than 22,000 workers in the U.S. tech sector have been laid off in mass job cuts so far in 2022,

Intel and NVIDIA both implemented hiring freezes. If remote drove up Irvine prices they will come down as much, if not overshoot. NVIDIA down 48% this year.

USCTrojanCPA said:
The price decline prediction depends on which time period we are talking about.  Are we talking about where prices were at the beginning of 2022 or at the very peak which happened in April/May?  If we are talking using prices at the beginning of 2022 then I think prices will probably be flat to up to 5% down but if we are talking about from April/May then we may be talking about price declines of from 10% to up to 15% since prices in April/May were up about 10% from the beginning of 2022.

Makes most sense to measure year over year declines /increases. What is the Irvine percent change June 2021 vs June 2022?

OCtoSV said:
Davidlee199 said:

Intel and NVIDIA both implemented hiring freezes. If remote drove up Irvine prices they will come down as much, if not overshoot. NVIDIA down 48% this year.

A lot of the reported "hiring freezes" aren't freezes, they're reallocation of headcount, they're a "freeze" in some departments and slowing growth in others, etc.  Even Meta is unfreezing at this point, though they are going to be hiring slower.  Still allowing remote from what I've heard. 

G and Amazon both have big offices in Irvine, and Aliso has MSFT which is small but growing.  You can bet that people will want to work out of those offices if prices go back to sanity.  I do think G and Amazon pay less for SoCal compared to the Bay area, but not by much.

However, most people at tech companies are compensated with stock, and what the RSUs giveth, they RSU's taketh away.  So even well paid tech workers coming down to OC are going to have smaller down payments for a good while, which should deflate things some.  I'm in the camp of thinking 10-15% down from peak in the next 18 months.

Sidehussle said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Makes most sense to measure year over year declines /increases. What is the Irvine percent change June 2021 vs June 2022?

If we compare June 2021 vs June 2022 then prices are up over 20%.  If we look at the peak in pricing which happened in April 2022 then we are down about 3-5% but still up over 5% from the beginning of the year.

It's fun to speculate but the truth is no one knows. I personally believe that Irvine will hold up very well in any kind of market e.g. up, down, sideways, major crash. Think of Irvine as the S&P500 index.

To someone's comment about FCB having to sell because their 5-year ARM is about to skyrocket, he must have forgotten what the "C" stands for in "FCB". IMHO, there would be a very small percentage of foreign landlords needing to sell and that would have little effect on the overall market. In fact, the foreign landlords are one of the reasons that the Irvine market will hold up better because they are just diversifying and parking their "cash" here. They are mostly not leveraging heavily or speculating like some local investors would.

Now my question is...under what conditions would you start buying if you were a long-term investor?

Back