Orchard Hills Neighborhood 3

irvinehomeowner said:
Do they have floor plans for The Reserve yet?

Let me guess, entry door with no porch, bedroom/bath in the front, kitchen/great room in the back, go upstairs, master to the left, 2 bedrooms in the back, maybe a loft.

I don't really agree that today's floor plans are all that much better than before.

I agree with you, I miss the old floor plans and fun of touring different communities to see the variety of tracts offered. The floor plans are pretty much already out there given that they're the same recycled boxes from all of the other recent villages.

TIC is not looking for friends. They don't want any architectural awards. They are not running for office. All they care about is making money. They are maximizing their profit by not creating anything new. They spent years developing the Irvine brand and now they are coasting and taking it ALL in.

iacrenter said:
TIC is not looking for friends. They don't want any architectural awards. They are not running for office. All they care about is making money. They are maximizing their profit by not creating anything new. They spent years developing the Irvine brand and now they are coasting and taking it ALL in.

When they run out of Irvine new home land. (I assume there is an end?)
Let's compare IRC (home building) heads up against Lennar or Toll Brothers.

It's not that hard to add a 5th or even 6th bedroom to houses that are over 3000sft, esp if there are no vaulted ceilings and it's a box-on-box format.

My 5 bedroom home with a formal dining room and a living room in Westpark II was only 2500sft and no room felt small so I think these "luxury" homes should give you more than just 4 bedrooms and no other downstairs living space.

But yes, it's how TIC maximizes their land and construction costs... use the smallest plot and the simplest box.

Burn That Belly said:
The Coca-Cola formula is over 100 years old, often imitated, never duplicated. Has been in business for over a century. Has been one of the most popular sodas ever ordered and continues to be THE most common soda ever sold. Stock prices for Coca-Cola company from 90s to 2017 is up 10X.

So let me ask you guys this... "Why da F**** would you want to change the formula when your product continues to sell so well?" -> same analogy -> Why change the floor plans around when it was a hot seller previously?  Rinse and repeat baby. I say, keep selling what you can sell until you can't sell it no more.

If I discovered a formula, whether it's soda, floor plan, a article of clothing, ice cream, or whatever, and I can spin it and get a massive line out the door for a decade, I will continue to spin that sh** for as long as the money keeps pouring in. (and I don't need business school to tell me that)
Coke's formula has changed a couple of times.  As the name implies, Coca Cola was originally made out of coca leaves and cola nuts. Coca leaves is where cocaine comes from and the cola nut has massive amounts of caffeine. Coca leaves and cola nuts have been chewed for thousands of years as a stimulant by natives of South America and Africa respectively. Because of new drug laws, in 1903, cocaine was removed from Coke and in 1916, the amount of caffeine was drastically reduced. Both of those things required a change in the original formula.

Happiness said:
Burn That Belly said:
The Coca-Cola formula is over 100 years old, often imitated, never duplicated. Has been in business for over a century. Has been one of the most popular sodas ever ordered and continues to be THE most common soda ever sold. Stock prices for Coca-Cola company from 90s to 2017 is up 10X.

So let me ask you guys this... "Why da F**** would you want to change the formula when your product continues to sell so well?" -> same analogy -> Why change the floor plans around when it was a hot seller previously?  Rinse and repeat baby. I say, keep selling what you can sell until you can't sell it no more.

If I discovered a formula, whether it's soda, floor plan, a article of clothing, ice cream, or whatever, and I can spin it and get a massive line out the door for a decade, I will continue to spin that sh** for as long as the money keeps pouring in. (and I don't need business school to tell me that)
Coke's formula has changed a couple of times.  As the name implies, Coca Cola was originally made out of coca leaves and cola nuts. Coca leaves is where cocaine comes from and the cola nut has massive amounts of caffeine. Coca leaves and cola nuts have been chewed for thousands of years as a stimulant by natives of South America and Africa respectively. Because of new drug laws, in 1903, cocaine was removed from Coke and in 1916, the amount of caffeine was drastically reduced. Both of those things required a change in the original formula.

sales and gross earnings for coca cola are down every year for the past 5 years.  tried and true does not always mean continued success.

I completely understand your points in terms of business, but it just bums me out that they've changed for the worst (in my opinion) over the years. There will never be another generation of communities like Quail Hill or Turtle Ridge again, although I did like the variety at The Groves. Then again, I guess those who do not like the recycled boxes will opt for other villages that are not TIC.

To compare - Rancho Santa Margarita was built using an extraordinarily tight floor plan design and color scheme spectrums required to be used on every home constructed. This resulted in a uniform blandness in the community. After a while sales stalled out partially due to disinterest in the look and feel of the area. The Rancho Mission Viejo Company adjusted what could be built, and the community rebounded. They took that lesson to heart when building just south in Las Flores, and providing an even wider range of design in Ladera Ranch.

TIC won't stop people from buying new, but home "sameness" will have an impact on resales at some point. If there are 5 of the same floor plans for sale on the same 3,500 SF lot, the spread in price between them will remain pretty narrow - unless the unit has some genuinely fancy shmancy stuff in it, not just granite countertops.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
To compare - Rancho Santa Margarita was built using an extraordinarily tight floor plan design and color scheme spectrums required to be used on every home constructed. This resulted in a uniform blandness in the community. After a while sales stalled out partially due to disinterest in the look and feel of the area. The Rancho Mission Viejo Company adjusted what could be built, and the community rebounded. They took that lesson to heart when building just south in Las Flores, and providing an even wider range of design in Ladera Ranch.

TIC won't stop people from buying new, but home "sameness" will have an impact on resales at some point. If there are 5 of the same floor plans for sale on the same 3,500 SF lot, the spread in price between them will remain pretty narrow - unless the unit has some genuinely fancy shmancy stuff in it, not just granite countertops.

My .02c

To follow up further to what you say about "sameness" I have stopped looking at new homes built by Irvine Pacific years ago, because there are nothing new to look at. Occasionally, when they do have the grand openning, I might swing by, suppose for the freebies. By the time I drive there, I soon realize that it would be a complete waste of time for me to stand in line for 45 minutes to get what,,,an 85 degree pastries dried out and a cup of coffee. No thanks, I will pay for it for if I ever crave it that bad.

Second, the neighborhood layout by Irvine Pacific is to cram as many homes as they can. You think you will get a view for the elevation at Orchard Hills Reserved, with the million dollar price cramp recycled box design. Dream on. Alta Vista is bold and unique, and will be true luxury with premium price tag. Toll design is unique, but you better shell out at least 3.5 - 4 Mil. to beggin to feel grand.

There are a countless number of ways to elevate a home design so that they would employ concepts that sold well in other communities, especially when building and marketing a neighborhood as high-end. They could have had higher ceilings in the great room or foyer, for example. They could have made the home elevations more architecturally interesting. This isn?t an argument of ?if it ain?t broke don?t fix it.? It?s an argument of ?why would I live in the same house that costs $500k less in a neighborhood less than a two miles away?? This probably won?t be an issue for new home sales, because the smell of a new house is hypnotic. But as Soylent said, this monotony would be an issue for resale down the line, especially on this side of Irvine where this home design by IP is more common.

Compressed-Village said:

My .02c

To follow up further to what you say about "sameness" I have stopped looking at new homes built by Irvine Pacific years ago, because there are nothing new to look at. Occasionally, when they do have the grand openning, I might swing by, suppose for the freebies. By the time I drive there, I soon realize that it would be a complete waste of time for me to stand in line for 45 minutes to get what,,,an 85 degree pastries dried out and a cup of coffee. No thanks, I will pay for it for if I ever crave it that bad.

Second, the neighborhood layout by Irvine Pacific is to cram as many homes as they can. You think you will get a view for the elevation at Orchard Hills Reserved, with the million dollar price cramp recycled box design. Dream on. Alta Vista is bold and unique, and will be true luxury with premium price tag. Toll design is unique, but you better shell out at least 3.5 - 4 Mil. to beggin to feel grand.

Agree re Alta Vista.  At that price point, what type of buyers is it attracting ?  I am asking because a lot of the moneyed crowd that collects W-2 income that can afford this price point generally works near the coast (ex:Newport) .  Given the lengthy commute times, would it be more self employed type people?  or am I missing something .  Thx.

fortune11 said:
Agree re Alta Vista.  At that price point, what type of buyers is it attracting ?  I am asking because a lot of the moneyed crowd that collects W-2 income that can afford this price point generally works near the coast (ex:Newport) .  Given the lengthy commute times, would it be more self employed type people?  or am I missing something .  Thx.
Not all money is made on the coast. Even if they do work in Newport, it's not nearly as far as people pose it to be. Only a 25-30 minute drive, which seems standard for a commute.

fortune11 said:
Compressed-Village said:

My .02c

Interesting you ask this today. Heard today a friend of friend who lives in turtle ridge and works in Newport fell in love wth the oceano and wants to sell his house and buy there. As nice as turtle ridge is, the floor plans are dated with low ceilings. This is one example of a unique floor plan creating interest.

Villager said:
fortune11 said:
Not all money is made on the coast. Even if they do work in Newport, it's not nearly as far as people pose it to be. Only a 25-30 minute drive, which seems standard for a commute.

That much time probably just to get to the orchard hills mall. and then add another 5-10 mins further to get to these homes all the way inside.  Seems to me 30-40 min is a lot of time to spend commuting each way, esp. if you can afford to spend  3.5 - 4m on a home.  Short commute times is one reason some of the doctors who work in Hoag on Sand Canyon bought in Laguna Altura and Hidden Canyon. 

But I can totally see the appeal of these fabulous homes. in Alta which make up for commute times drawback.  Just not sure what that cutoff is. 

fortune11 said:
Villager said:
fortune11 said:

That much time probably just to get to the orchard hills mall. and then add another 5-10 mins further to get to these homes all the way inside.  Seems to me 30-40 min is a lot of time to spend commuting each way, esp. if you can afford to spend  3.5 - 4m on a home.  Short commute times is one reason some of the doctors who work in Hoag on Sand Canyon bought in Laguna Altura and Hidden Canyon. 

But I can totally see the appeal of these fabulous homes. in Alta which make up for commute times drawback.  Just not sure what that cutoff is.
I can understand that. If you're a doctor, the closer you are to your workplace, the better (considering the possibilities of being on-call). That being said, I did make the timing calculation from "The Vistas at Orchard Hills" Google Maps location to Hoag in Newport, which is where I was given the 25-minute figure. I've lived at the Groves for 3 years now, and I've made it to the coast in as little as 17 minutes... though I will admit that I am a bit of a speed demon (within reason), and am prone to weaving through traffic unrelentingly. ;) Whether you're commuting from Newport or Orchard Hills, it's all about scheduling your commute well to avoid traffic, and being well-versed in knowing which routes to take at which times.

Back