Orchard Hills Neighborhood 3

Goriot said:
Trojanman said:
You should definitely stop by Altair.  The models are beautiful as expected.  The community as a whole will look exceptional when completed.  It has a modern feel unlike any other communty in Irvine.  It is a little out there and that is one of the main reasons why it is slightly discounted. But still expensive by all means.  I think once everything is built out it should all even out or even jump higher in appreciation if portola high matches what northwood did when they first opened.  Heard all signs showing portola high should perform very well In the near future.

Altair community looks great, but just can't get over that $10k to $16k Mello Roos + 2% increase per annum for 40 years.

It seems like 2% mello roos increase happens regularly nowadays.  I thought it is 30 years not 40 years?

Happiness said:
With every new IP community, many posters here offer the same tired old refrain: "it's overpriced!" , "Tired old floorplans." Etc. Yet buyers in every IP community: Laguna Altura, Stonegate, Cypress Village, Eastwood, Orchard Hills, have done just dandy. Early buyers have made out like bandits. Remember when people here whined that Strata was overpriced at $900k or even more extreme whining later about Eastwood? You may not like BTB's opinions but they are data driven rather than emotion driven.

Have there been a community that didn?t sell well in Irvine? I?ve seen homes purchased, not landscaped, that are reselling on the market. Looks like these are flippers. Irvine does well because it seems like a lot of FCB like to wash their money here since homes are more affordable and a good range of prices. I judge a good community when buyers are families who actually want to live there, not just to resell or rent out.

Burn That Belly said:
test said:
Goriot said:
Altair community looks great, but just can't get over that $10k to $16k Mello Roos + 2% increase per annum for 40 years.

MR keeps the riff raff out.  Clearly it's working lol.

Riff raff , you mean the poor whiners that are mentally incompetent to handle Internet comments. Oh those guys.

(That?s my opinion above and I endorse that statement!)

There you go again.  After the posts have died.  Acting like a douchebag with your statements.  ?$90k a year secretary?. It?s like you have something to prove.

East2West said:
Happiness said:
With every new IP community, many posters here offer the same tired old refrain: "it's overpriced!" , "Tired old floorplans." Etc. Yet buyers in every IP community: Laguna Altura, Stonegate, Cypress Village, Eastwood, Orchard Hills, have done just dandy. Early buyers have made out like bandits. Remember when people here whined that Strata was overpriced at $900k or even more extreme whining later about Eastwood? You may not like BTB's opinions but they are data driven rather than emotion driven.

Have there been a community that didn?t sell well in Irvine? I?ve seen homes purchased, not landscaped, that are reselling on the market. Looks like these are flippers. Irvine does well because it seems like a lot of FCB like to wash their money here since homes are more affordable and a good range of prices. I judge a good community when buyers are families who actually want to live there, not just to resell or rent out.
Portola Springs has not regained its peak pre-recession prices and Beacon Park launched with a thud.

Burn That Belly said:
East2West said:
Irvine does well because it seems like a lot of FCB like to wash their money here since homes are more affordable and a good range of prices. I judge a good community when buyers are families who actually want to live there, not just to resell or rent out.

washing money, prostitution, birth tourism, visa fraud, you name it, it is rampant here in Irvine. I have spoken with tons of FCBs. They all agree the homes here are significantly cheaper than the homes back in FCB-land. So it is a no brainer for them to park their money here.

Sometimes, living next to an empty FCB-investment home could be a great thing. No neighbors = no noise, no complaints, less traffic, more street parking for you, and nobody to get in your way of HOA problems. As long as they continue to pay their monthly dues and taxes, then there's no problem.

I would have to disagree. There are properties that aren?t landscaped and have tons of flyers sitting outside with weeds growing. That?s not something I want to come home to. It would be an eye sore. Unless the investment property is well landscaped and maintained, I don?t see it as a great thing.

Those that are landscaped at the bare minimum and rented out isn?t great in my opinion either. There are always a change of families and people. Growing up, I?ve had neighbors that you built relationships with and treat like family who help each other out. Watch each other?s kids. It builds a community. Renters who move in and out isn?t what I want for my family. Sure if I was only investing as well, but like I said. I?m trying to put down roots here.

I have no problem with FCBs bringing in their cash to help our economy. I don?t feel like I?m getting priced out at all. I just don?t want to buy a crap home on a beautiful location. Thus I?m waiting for a more prestigious builder for further releases.  ;)

Dresden215 said:
Rattlesnake reservoir was mostly empty because the water was used for the recent fire. They were refilling the reservoir when I passed by.

Mosquito and cockroach haven????

East2West said:
Burn That Belly said:
East2West said:
Irvine does well because it seems like a lot of FCB like to wash their money here since homes are more affordable and a good range of prices. I judge a good community when buyers are families who actually want to live there, not just to resell or rent out.

washing money, prostitution, birth tourism, visa fraud, you name it, it is rampant here in Irvine. I have spoken with tons of FCBs. They all agree the homes here are significantly cheaper than the homes back in FCB-land. So it is a no brainer for them to park their money here.

Sometimes, living next to an empty FCB-investment home could be a great thing. No neighbors = no noise, no complaints, less traffic, more street parking for you, and nobody to get in your way of HOA problems. As long as they continue to pay their monthly dues and taxes, then there's no problem.

I would have to disagree. There are properties that aren?t landscaped and have tons of flyers sitting outside with weeds growing. That?s not something I want to come home to. It would be an eye sore. Unless the investment property is well landscaped and maintained, I don?t see it as a great thing.

Those that are landscaped at the bare minimum and rented out isn?t great in my opinion either. There are always a change of families and people. Growing up, I?ve had neighbors that you built relationships with and treat like family who help each other out. Watch each other?s kids. It builds a community. Renters who move in and out isn?t what I want for my family. Sure if I was only investing as well, but like I said. I?m trying to put down roots here.

I have no problem with FCBs bringing in their cash to help our economy. I don?t feel like I?m getting priced out at all. I just don?t want to buy a crap home on a beautiful location. Thus I?m waiting for a more prestigious builder for further releases.  ;)

My neighborhood in the Groves side of OH is pretty much all owner occupied as far as I know ( since there's very little rental market for houses of this size and would make no sense from a cash return perspective), and the buyers are primarily locals who have moved here from other older neighborhoods in Irvine or elsewhere in the LA/OC region.  Many East/South Asians, but Americanized and English speaking due to having been in the U.S. for a long time.  Even the few houses bought by FCBs are actually occupied by them, not rented out as investment properties. I am friendly with the neighbors on my street, we watch each other's houses when going away on vacation, and exchange cell phone numbers.  PM me if you want more info.

Burn That Belly said:
East2West said:
I just don?t want to buy a crap home on a beautiful location. Thus I?m waiting for a more prestigious builder for further releases.  ;)

I respect your difference of opinion! See, I can get a long too.

With regards to crap home on a beautiful location, I personally disagree with that. I don't mind buying/living in a 'Delano' that's situated inside Shady Canyon/Hidden Canyon and if it has a view lot. It's a crap home in a extra nice neighborhood.  ;D

Oh of course. I wouldn?t disagree with that statement because I would take an IPAC home sitting on embarcadero overlooking the bay bridge, but OH3 is no shady canyon or embarcadero. If I can choose a better builder in OH3 why not.

iacrenter said:
Saw the models. Floor plans are uninspiring but the view lots are special.  If you buy here, make sure you get good fire insurance. All that elevation and dry wilderness makes for a dangerous combination.

I have a feeling the view lots will feel a lot less special when the houses below are all built.  I realize there will still be views, but when you see a sea of rooftops, the views look a lot less appealing.  I have seen this first hand.  Views with absolutely nothing in front of you versus views with roof is a big difference.  Id like to see how people react to the views when everything is built out.

You can drive out to PS5 and look at those views over rooftops towards the current PS homes.  Definitely not as nice as greenery, the ocean, or mountains, but better than nothing, just depends on how much those views are worth to each person.  We'll have the phase 1 prices here on TI, we can revisit in 2-3 years and again in 5-6, assuming it hasn't burned down  :eek:

hello said:
iacrenter said:
Saw the models. Floor plans are uninspiring but the view lots are special.  If you buy here, make sure you get good fire insurance. All that elevation and dry wilderness makes for a dangerous combination.

I have a feeling the view lots will feel a lot less special when the houses below are all built.  I realize there will still be views, but when you see a sea of rooftops, the views look a lot less appealing.  I have seen this first hand.  Views with absolutely nothing in front of you versus views with roof is a big difference.  Id like to see how people react to the views when everything is built out.

I went back to visit Como and Terra again to get a better feel of the homes minus the craziness of grand opening day.  I also drove around OH and some of the other Irvine communities and here are some random thoughts.

Cliff note version: After spending about 10 hours looking at communities and models, I have a better impression of the Reserve than I did after grand opening day.

• The homes felt more spacious without 50 people in each model.  I recommend you check it out again now that the crowd has died down.  With that said, some of the models still felt small even with nobody inside. And I still wish they used lot sizes that were representative of the community.  This is one of my pet peeves.
  • With regards to looking over rooftops, I went to the Trevi neighborhood which I believe overlooks the Saviero rooftops.  Wasn't bothered by the rooftops at all, especially with the sun setting.  Would it be nicer if the rooftops weren't there?  Sure.  Was the sunset still amazing?  Absolutely. 
  • Drove around Eastwood Village, Laguna Altara, OH1 and OH2.  If they can make the Reserve feel like Laguna Altura or remotely close to Turtle Ridge, especially the entrance / drive up, I think the Reserve could feel really special.  But we won't know for a few years as the trees/landscaping will need to mature.  I hated Eastwood, but it's been very popular so it's probably just me.
  • For comparison, I visited Messina Plan 2.  This was one of my favorite OH1 plans when I toured the models in 2014/2015.  I and still remember thinking how unique and cool the floor plan was.  But now, for some reason, Messina Plan 2 feels dated.  Even though the Irvine Pacific plans are boring and recycled, they work, at least for my needs (subjective, obviously).  I sat in the models for about 30 minutes each and envisioned living there (I'm lame), and I didn't think boring/recycled.  It just made sense. 
  • But...I still wish the Reserve had more creative floor plan such as the ones at Altair.  For example, I really liked the third floor lofts at Eclipse and Starlight.  I'm still ruling out Altair for now because of the mello roos as I just can't justify paying $30k+ per year in tax on a $1.6-1.8mm house.
  • Also, I wish there were components of the floor plans that are better.  For example, I visited Padova and even though the floors plans / sizes are similar to Terra, I think Padova plans have a much better entrance.  By the way, Padova seems to be doing really well even though it is getting no love on TI.  All releases sold out, including last weekends, with 8 homes remaining unless they purchase additional land. 

Jcl725 said:
I went back to visit Como and Terra again to get a better feel of the homes minus the craziness of grand opening day.  I also drove around OH and some of the other Irvine communities and here are some random thoughts.

Cliff note version: After spending about 10 hours looking at communities and models, I have a better impression of the Reserve than I did after grand opening day.

• The homes felt more spacious without 50 people in each model.  I recommend you check it out again now that the crowd has died down.  With that said, some of the models still felt small even with nobody inside. And I still wish they used lot sizes that were representative of the community.  This is one of my pet peeves.
  • With regards to looking over rooftops, I went to the Trevi neighborhood which I believe overlooks the Saviero rooftops.  Wasn't bothered by the rooftops at all, especially with the sun setting.  Would it be nicer if the rooftops weren't there?  Sure.  Was the sunset still amazing?  Absolutely. 
  • Drove around Eastwood Village, Laguna Altara, OH1 and OH2.  If they can make the Reserve feel like Laguna Altura or remotely close to Turtle Ridge, especially the entrance / drive up, I think the Reserve could feel really special.  But we won't know for a few years as the trees/landscaping will need to mature.  I hated Eastwood, but it's been very popular so it's probably just me.
  • For comparison, I visited Messina Plan 2.  This was one of my favorite OH1 plans when I toured the models in 2014/2015.  I and still remember thinking how unique and cool the floor plan was.  But now, for some reason, Messina Plan 2 feels dated.  Even though the Irvine Pacific plans are boring and recycled, they work, at least for my needs (subjective, obviously).  I sat in the models for about 30 minutes each and envisioned living there (I'm lame), and I didn't think boring/recycled.  It just made sense. 
  • But...I still wish the Reserve had more creative floor plan such as the ones at Altair.  For example, I really liked the third floor lofts at Eclipse and Starlight.  I'm still ruling out Altair for now because of the mello roos as I just can't justify paying $30k+ per year in tax on a $1.6-1.8mm house.
  • Also, I wish there were components of the floor plans that are better.  For example, I visited Padova and even though the floors plans / sizes are similar to Terra, I think Padova plans have a much better entrance.  By the way, Padova seems to be doing really well even though it is getting no love on TI.  All releases sold out, including last weekends, with 8 homes remaining unless they purchase additional land. 

Good points.

I really like the scenery of the Reserve especially the upper northern lots, like the one they used as temporary parking lot during the grand opening.  This is one very unique community in Irvine and those products in those upper lots are going to be really nice.

Jcl725 said:
Even though the Irvine Pacific plans are boring and recycled, they work, at least for my needs (subjective, obviously).  I sat in the models for about 30 minutes each and envisioned living there (I'm lame), and I didn't think boring/recycled.  It just made sense. 

I want to elaborate on this point as I thought about this quite a bit over the last few days.  There's been a bit of discussion here about how boring the Irvine Pacific floorplans are, which I totally agree with...nothing special about them.  But after visiting a few floor plans that are unique and have the awe factor (interior courtyard, vaulted ceilings, giant california rooms, etc.), I asked myself what is important.  Having a cool floor plan that impresses your friends when they visit, or having a practical space that flows well and fits with your lifestyle/taste?  I concluded that the latter is much more important FOR ME.  Large open living area, large master and secondary bedrooms, nice kitchen, decent size yard - those are the things I will appreciate most when living in a house.

As much as I enjoy visiting models with unique floor plans, I realized that the novelty will quickly wear off.  With that said, if it could be practical (for you) and unique, that would be the dream combo.  Some of the Lennar homes in Altair fit that bill for me (as well as Toll Brothers but they are on another level IMO and the $2M entry price before their costly upgrades reflect that).  But Altair's Mellos Roos and proximity to a toxic anomaly and superfund site are hard for me to overlook.

Conclusion - Stop looking for cool and unique and start focusing on the fundamental elements of the house.  Or move to Lake Forest lol

Jcl725 said:
Jcl725 said:
Even though the Irvine Pacific plans are boring and recycled, they work, at least for my needs (subjective, obviously).  I sat in the models for about 30 minutes each and envisioned living there (I'm lame), and I didn't think boring/recycled.  It just made sense. 

I want to elaborate on this point as I thought about this quite a bit over the last few days.  There's been a bit of discussion here about how boring the Irvine Pacific floorplans are, which I totally agree with...nothing special about them.  But after visiting a few floor plans that are unique and have the awe factor (interior courtyard, vaulted ceilings, giant california rooms, etc.), I asked myself what is important.  Having a cool floor plan that impresses your friends when they visit, or having a practical space that flows well and fits with your lifestyle/taste?  I concluded that the latter is much more important FOR ME.  Large open living area, large master and secondary bedrooms, nice kitchen, decent size yard - those are the things I will appreciate most when living in a house.

As much as I enjoy visiting models with unique floor plans, I realized that the novelty will quickly wear off.  With that said, if it could be practical (for you) and unique, that would be the dream combo.  Some of the Lennar homes in Altair fit that bill for me (as well as Toll Brothers but they are on another level IMO and the $2M entry price before their costly upgrades reflect that).  But Altair's Mellos Roos and proximity to a toxic anomaly and superfund site are hard for me to overlook.

Conclusion - Stop looking for cool and unique and start focusing on the fundamental elements of the house.  Or move to Lake Forest lol

It all comes down to what you find important - functionality vs style. It's obvious there are people who don't care about vaulted ceilings and just want more square footage in the form of a loft. The reason everyone is bitching about OH3 is they are ALL boring. Why not have a mix of boring and new to satisfy the entire spectrum of buyers.

Back