Orchard Hills - Capella by Taylor Morrison

Paris said:
True "view" is relative. That house is beautiful, stunning view but it's Laguna niguel, not Irvine. The elementary school zoned to that house is a 6 rating. When choosing a home everyone has priorities. For us schools trump view. I'm just glad a good portion of my windows face no neighbor and orchard hills over watching my neighbors tower behind me. To me that alone is a good enough "view"

It's interesting how people view things. I would actually say the opposite to Irvine peeps. You live in Irvine not Laguna Niguel :)
Laguna Niguel is nicer than Irvine.

qwerty said:
Paris said:
True "view" is relative. That house is beautiful, stunning view but it's Laguna niguel, not Irvine. The elementary school zoned to that house is a 6 rating. When choosing a home everyone has priorities. For us schools trump view. I'm just glad a good portion of my windows face no neighbor and orchard hills over watching my neighbors tower behind me. To me that alone is a good enough "view"

It's interesting how people view things. I would actually say the opposite to Irvine peeps. You live in Irvine not Laguna Niguel :)

One of my sisters lives in Laguna Niguel. She used rent a place in Irvine years ago and regrets moving to Laguna Niguel instead of buying non view in Irvine even with her view.

Houses go for less in Laguna Niguel even with a view. Schools are not as good and it's a long commute for a whole lot of people's jobs.

Ready2Downsize said:
qwerty said:
Paris said:

One of my sisters lives in Laguna Niguel. She used rent a place in Irvine years ago and regrets moving to Laguna Niguel instead of buying non view in Irvine even with her view.

what did your sister like about Irvine vs Laguna Niguel? why did she personally regret moving?

Paris said:
Ready2Downsize said:
qwerty said:
Paris said:

what did your sister like about Irvine vs Laguna Niguel? why did she personally regret moving?

She lives within walking distance to the beach, so she's happy with the house but she hates how long it takes to get to work.......... lots of time just to get TO the freeway then lots more ON the freeway.

Ready2Downsize said:
Houses go for less in Laguna Niguel even with a view. Schools are not as good and it's a long commute for a whole lot of people's jobs.

That's the key. The jobs in office towers where people work to afford Irvine houses. are in or near Irvine, not Laguna Niguel.

I never said anything about convenience. I'm just saying Laguna niguel is nicer than Irvine.

qwerty said:
I never said anything about convenience. I'm just saying Laguna niguel is nicer than Irvine.

Again difference in opinion. I think Irvine is nicer than Laguna Niguel. I would say Newport Beach/ Coast is nicer than Irvine.

qwerty said:
Paris said:

It's all relative. Some people think Tustin Legacy is as nice as Irvine.

:)

Paris said:
qwerty said:

Again difference in opinion. I think Irvine is nicer than Laguna Niguel. I would say Newport Beach/ Coast is nicer than Irvine.

Depends on what you think nicer is. If it was really thought to be nicer by the masses, the homes would sell quicker and for more than Irvine but that isn't the case unless you have an ocean view. And if it were an ocean view in Irvine it would sell for more than Laguna Niguel.

Ready2Downsize said:
Paris said:
qwerty said:

Depends on what you think nicer is. If it was really thought to be nicer by the masses, the homes would sell quicker and for more than Irvine but that isn't the case unless you have an ocean view. And if it were an ocean view in Irvine it would sell for more than Laguna Niguel.

I would disagree because when it comes to buying a home people consider commutes and schools. So Irvine will generally win out. I'm less concerned about schools than most on this board but the commute is important which is why I want to be centrally located in Tustin.

You guys take the total package vs just the aesthetics. Irvine is nice aesthetically but not as nice as Laguna niguel.

Laguna Niguel:
1) Nice elevation and bigger potential for views (including ocean/city).

Irvine:
1) Good schools,
2) Diversity,
3) Ethnic restaurants/markets,
4) Easy commute to work.

Ready2Downsize said:
Paris said:
Ready2Downsize said:
qwerty said:
Paris said:

She lives within walking distance to the beach, so she's happy with the house but she hates how long it takes to get to work.......... lots of time just to get TO the freeway then lots more ON the freeway.

I think that's why there's plenty of people here in Irvine who are living here while raising their kids and during their working years, then plan to move close to the beach in retirement, when they don't have to deal with the daily hassle of commuting in and out. Newport and Laguna are nice and all, but dealing with traffic in and out of the beach especially in the summer is a real hassle.  Besides, right now, who has time to enjoy the beach? I'm too busy working to pay for my overpriced house and shuttling my kids to their activities which are all based in Irvine!

If living in Capella saves each spouse an hour total in commuting time each day, relative to Laguna Niguel, and your household hourly income is ~$125, then choosing the Laguna Niguel house costs you ~$65K annually in time. That's effectively ~$650K over one decade.

Perspective said:
If living in Capella saves each spouse an hour total in commuting time each day, relative to Laguna Niguel, and your household hourly income is ~$125, then choosing the Laguna Niguel house costs you ~$65K annually in time. That's effectively ~$650K over one decade.

totally agree. Its not just the value of the commuting time. Its the additional cost spent for hiring out additional household services that we would not be able to do ourselves if we spent all that time commuting. Like hiring housekeeper, meal preparation/delivery service, afterschool nanny/driver for my kids, etc etc.

Washington Post had an article on this recently. The close in suburbs to DC with smaller older houses and good schools have rebounded past the previous housing bubble peak, but the farther out, big "estate" style houses in the exurbs have not, despite being aesthetically nicer, newer,  more private, and providing much more house for the money. Because in modern life with many dual working parent households, short commute time is a big priority for the masses.

Perspective said:

A lot of folks are on salary. So this doesn't really apply. And you are assuming that someone is just willing to pay you $125/hour all the time and if you commute you lose that $125/hour.

Back