Orange County Great Park: Sports park, water park, ice rink, golf course

Story on Great Park developments including Bosque (opening Spring 2019), Base Camp (2020), pop-up food vendors (near sports complex), water polo facility, indoor basketball and volleyball facility, Cultural Terrace plans (Fall 2019) and Pretend City.

index.php

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/01/18/orange-county-great-park-development-to-speed-up-in-2019/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oc...eat-park-development-to-speed-up-in-2019/amp/

Orange County Great Park development to speed up in 2019

Alicia Robinson PUBLISHED: January 18, 2019 at 3:44 pm | UPDATED: January 18, 2019 at 5:22 pm Local News, News

?Progress at the Orange County Great Park was slow for nearly a decade after its most visible feature ? the big orange balloon ? debuted, but after picking up in 2017, development there is expected to snowball in the next several years.

This year at Irvine?s 688-acre sports and recreation mecca, new features are opening, including one of the largest public ice facilities in the country and a 40-acre natural area with trees, walking paths and a dog park.

Residents will also get a glimpse of things to come, with the city expected to sign agreements to bring a children?s museum, water polo complex, indoor volleyball and basketball facility and the return of Wild Rivers water park, Irvine City Manager John Russo said.

The council on Tuesday, Jan. 22, is set to consider an agreement to negotiate a location and lease with Pretend City, which plans to move from its location near the Irvine Spectrum.

?I think this year you?ll see those projects move,? with deals likely to be made in the first quarter of the year, Russo said.
Russo also expected a consultant on planning for the cultural terrace to wrap up its work in coming months, and he hoped to bring a proposal to the City Council by fall. That 260-acre piece, in roughly the southeastern quadrant of the park, is intended as a less active complement to the sports park, potentially including several museums, a botanical garden and the permanent home of an amphitheater.

A temporary concert venue has operated on property owned by Great Park developer FivePoint Holdings since Irvine Meadows closed in 2016 to be replaced by a new apartment complex.

And although residential and commercial developer FivePoint doesn?t release detailed forecasts of its plans, less than half of the 9,500 allowed homes and about a quarter of 4.7 million square feet of commercial space have been built, so FivePoint has several years of work ahead.

The Great Park got a slow start, at least in part, because its earliest overseers ? then a specially appointed board ? had grandiose if somewhat nebulous plans and no set budget, so they spent several years and hundreds of millions of dollars hiring consultants and gathering input.

?We planned ourselves into paralysis and kind of broke through that logjam a few years ago,? Mayor Don Wagner said.

The park is being developed as a public-private partnership, with some of it funded by FivePoint and some by the city via a redevelopment lawsuit settlement with the state.

New at the park

Openings this year will include Great Park Ice, a hockey and skating facility that welcomed the public this month and is expected to be completed in the next few months, and the Bosque, a nature park set to open this spring with trails, a dog park and playground.

Meanwhile, FivePoint hopes to turn retrofitted shipping containers into experimental, pop-up food vendors next to the sports complex, with an eye to developing brick and mortar restaurants starting in 2020, CEO Emile Haddad said.

Dining options will be an amenity not only for families who come to the Great Park for sporting events, but for residents who can use existing and future recreational trails to get there, he said.

In addition to the forthcoming agreement with the children?s museum, the council could decide on a lease for the new Wild Rivers water park next month, and officials have been negotiating since last fall to bring a pool complex to be built by USA Water Polo.

While a new, larger Pretend City is still a few years from opening its doors, Executive Director Sandra Bolton said, ?We are very excited about the potential to be in the Great Park.?

The move will allow the museum, which offers educational play and school readiness programs for young children, to expand and add outdoor events to its repertoire, Bolton said. Being near such well-used youth sports facilities also may grow the museum?s audience.

Haddad said he expects to break ground on a third new K-8 school in 2019, and FivePoint is seeking approval for a major healthcare campus and is working with homebuilders on seven new product lines.

Up in the air

Along with final plans for the cultural terrace, a few specifics remain to be worked out regarding the park?s future.
How quickly homes are developed will depend on the housing market, Haddad said. And with about 5,600 homes entitled but not yet built, it could take years to finish the neighborhoods.

Russo said he?ll be looking for some clarity on a proposed veterans cemetery, after voters in June rejected a land swap that would have allowed it to be built at the southeast end of the park.

Some deem an initial site on the park?s northern border too expensive because of required cleanup, but it remains available, along with a portion of land in the park that was slated to become a golf course.

With a Sacramento lobbying trip planned in February, Russo said he hopes to return with information on how ? or whether ? the cemetery can move forward.

?I think Irvine is very interested and the City Council very much wants to do something,? Russo said. ?If there isn?t the money to do it, then we need to be honest about it. But it?s a state cemetery, so the state needs to come up with some money.?

Even with some uncertainties remaining, Wagner said he?s excited to see the Great Park finally living up to its promise. The city hopes to snag some 2028 Los Angeles Olympic events at the water polo complex, the ice rink facility is the largest of its kind in the state, and city leaders are talking with big-name cultural institutions that might open a west coast branch here, he said.

?This could be an absolutely world class facility that Irvine deserves,? he said, ?that all of Orange County is supporting and can get behind.??

Attachments

• 528DD855-8601-4BF0-8260-05FF092E0F85.png
    528DD855-8601-4BF0-8260-05FF092E0F85.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 4,130
Great update.
Unfortunately lack of retail, supermarket, etc is still concerning for potential buyers. They need to prioritize that more.

AW said:
Great update.
Unfortunately lack of retail, supermarket, etc is still concerning for potential buyers. They need to prioritize that more.

Agreed, great update IHS3000. 

Woodbury Town Center is getting out of control during peak times (and don't even get me started with all the crap drivers), and the lack of retail near GP is making it worse.  I wish they would develop more retail too on the southwest corner of Sand Canyon and Trabuco/Great Park Blvd instead of building new properties. 

City Council agreed to move forward on an exclusive negotiating agreement with Pretend City.

Irvine in talks on Great Park lease for Pretend City children?s museum

An expanded facility for kids is one of several new attractions planned for the park in coming years

Alicia Robinson  / January 24, 2019 at 2:48 pm
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/01/...park-lease-for-pretend-city-childrens-museum/

?In a few years, children may be able to make believe they?re a chef, firefighter or doctor at an expanded educational museum in Irvine?s Orange County Great Park.

The city is negotiating a lease with Pretend City to relocate the kid-focused museum from a spot near the Irvine Spectrum, where it has been for 10 years.

Officials began talking about bringing the museum to the Great Park in 2017, but they put the idea on hold while they waited for other plans for the park to take shape. This year is expected to be a big one in terms of amenities opening and deals being signed to build out the park.

The City Council on Jan. 22 agreed to allow three months, plus a two-month extension if needed, to work out a lease deal.

The museum offers educational play and activities for young children, including interactive exhibits and workshops in topics such as music and healthy eating.

?We would love to be at the Great Park,? Executive Director Sandra Bolton said in a phone interview. ?We think it?s a nice central location. It would provide us with some things we don?t have here.?

One of those is outdoor space. The move would allow the museum to more than double its exhibit space, with about half of the new facility?s 60,000 square feet for exhibits. Having more room and different types of offerings would, museum officials hope, would help grow attendance from about 200,000 visitors to 350,000 visitors annually, according to a city report.

The estimated $30 million construction cost would come mostly from private fundraising, with a $5 million grant from the Children and Families Commission of Orange County. City officials have said they expect to lease land, likely near the corner of Ridge Valley and Marine Way, to the nonprofit museum for $1 a year.?

Attachments

• 8A1FF1B2-3022-4FF3-A3D6-A711474D8B0C.png
    8A1FF1B2-3022-4FF3-A3D6-A711474D8B0C.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,062
  • F7DD38AC-BBFC-4622-AA65-D94B7F07D301.png
    F7DD38AC-BBFC-4622-AA65-D94B7F07D301.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 752
I agree. At the last city council meeting, Councilwoman Shea discussed the lack of food options at the Great Park. She mentioned the food trucks leaving the Great Park after they are sold out of food. She also inquired if the city should sell food for revenue too because the fields are busy.

id_rather_be_racing said:
AW said:
Great update.

Agreed, great update IHS3000. 

Woodbury Town Center is getting out of control during peak times (and don't even get me started with all the crap drivers), and the lack of retail near GP is making it worse.  I wish they would develop more retail too on the southwest corner of Sand Canyon and Trabuco/Great Park Blvd instead of building new properties.

Attachments

• 5B95D4FC-AC1B-454B-B8CD-81196B470C73.png
    5B95D4FC-AC1B-454B-B8CD-81196B470C73.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 723
irvinehomeowner said:
perite11 said:
the park needs more trees. No shade is a real issue.

The trees are there... they just need to grow.

Let's revisit in 5-10 years. :)

I actually thought the same when I was visiting GP neighborhoods. It's all cool and hip and trendy, but it did not have enough trees or greens. PP has more green so I liked it, but the newer ones, not so much. There might be more grown trees in 5-10 years, but if you look at other new villages like EW or PS3-5, they already have plenty of greens. It seems like the foundation planning of GP was different than other Irvine areas. Not better or worse. Just a matter of preference I guess...

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:
perite11 said:
the park needs more trees. No shade is a real issue.

The trees are there... they just need to grow.

Let's revisit in 5-10 years. :)

I actually thought the same when I was visiting GP neighborhoods. It's all cool and hip and trendy, but it did not have enough trees or greens. PP has more green so I liked it, but the newer ones, not so much. There might be more grown trees in 5-10 years, but if you look at other new villages like EW or PS3-5, they already have plenty of greens. It seems like the foundation planning of GP was different than other Irvine areas. Not better or worse. Just a matter of preference I guess...

I thought trees were a selling point for GP. I remember articles talking about hundreds of mature trees from the military base being preserved for GP development. What happened to all those  trees?

Back when Pav Park was new, I asked the sales girl how come all their trees were so big already, and she said they stored the old trees somewhere and when PP was being built, they got re-planted. 

zubs said:
Back when Pav Park was new, I asked the sales girl how come all their trees were so big already, and she said they stored the old trees somewhere and when PP was being built, they got re-planted. 

I guess they used up all the mature trees for PP and had none left for the newer hoods.

Attachments

• 61CDA018-8160-49FA-AAF1-5DE4F9761E83.png
    61CDA018-8160-49FA-AAF1-5DE4F9761E83.png
    443.7 KB · Views: 3,815
  • 6B1AA80B-C72E-47FD-8901-FC21A84DFC55.png
    6B1AA80B-C72E-47FD-8901-FC21A84DFC55.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 739
City provided some updates on Great Park developments last week:

http://irvine.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=73&clip_id=4626

1. The American Museum of Natural History (New York City) visited the Great Park. Discussions of a west coast institution at Great Park?s Cultural Terrace, but nothing formal yet. Another update will follow soon.

2. The GP Ice Facility will have a grand opening on March 7. Today!

3. Wild Rivers Water Park is looking for financing to build their project.

4. The California Fire Museum is still in talks.

5. Great Park trails at Upper Bee and Bosque (Irvine Blvd to Great Park Blvd) is completed, but the city needs to sign an agreement with Five-Point for final hand off. Likely open in late spring or summer. Area is still fenced off.

6. City discussed Fivepoint?s plan for pop up restaurants/trailers near Sports Park (10-20) and more mobile food vendors at the Great Park.

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• 5DC7E54B-5D65-4A4A-816A-8D06E7908D37.png
    5DC7E54B-5D65-4A4A-816A-8D06E7908D37.png
    851.9 KB · Views: 2,646
IHS3000 said:
City provided some updates on Great Park developments last week:

http://irvine.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=73&clip_id=4626

1. The American Museum of Natural History (New York City) visited the Great Park. Discussions of a west coast institution at Great Park?s Cultural Terrace, but nothing formal yet. Another update will follow soon.

2. The GP Ice Facility will have a grand opening on March 7. Today!

3. Wild Rivers Water Park is looking for financing to build their project.

4. The California Fire Museum is still in talks.

5. Great Park trails at Upper Bee and Bosque (Irvine Blvd to Great Park Blvd) is completed, but the city needs to sign an agreement with Five-Point for final hand off. Likely open in late spring or summer. Area is still fenced off.

6. City discussed Fivepoint?s plan for pop up restaurants/trailers near Sports Park (10-20) and more mobile food vendors at the Great Park.

index.php

index.php

Where is my golf course?!

Visited the new Ice place. Both the exterior and the interior looked like an airport. I don't mean in a bad way. I liked the spanking new facility, but that new rubber smell needs to get out because it was giving me a headache.

Hope good things keep coming there. I understand it's still not fully open, but I just hope it doesn't end up like the original Great Park Balloon & Carousel. That place feels (still as of now) so empty and like a ghost town, almost scary. I really really hope these developments come alive where many people will have fun. Whole Foods Market, Shake Shack, Blue Bottle or Phliz Coffee will make so much difference.

Get a look at newest map for the Wild Rivers water park planned in Irvine

Bigger, better, $50 million park is expected to open in May 2020

Alicia Robinson April 4, 2019 at 2:48 pm
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/04/...the-wild-rivers-water-park-planned-in-irvine/

?Water slides, raft rides and a lazy river are expected additions to the Orange County Great Park next spring with the proposed return of Wild Rivers, the beloved water park that closed its previous location in 2011.

Wild Rivers CEO Mike Riedel had hoped to open the new park this summer, but he?s still finalizing details of the design and financing, he said this week.

The original park was a warm weather destination for kids and families for 25 years until the Irvine Co., which owned the property, replaced it with apartments.

Plans for the new water park and a lease on land in the southwest corner of Irvine?s Great Park could come up for city approval in the next couple of months, Riedel said. He hopes to open in May 2020...?

index.php

Attachments

• 6FFB2CFA-5458-4798-9C2F-BA751DFA0DEA.png
    6FFB2CFA-5458-4798-9C2F-BA751DFA0DEA.png
    851.4 KB · Views: 1,284
  • BAB05984-DBD4-436F-B35A-7C8D541296DC.png
    BAB05984-DBD4-436F-B35A-7C8D541296DC.png
    408.9 KB · Views: 1,077
  • 3EDD2893-2E6E-4FA9-B0B2-BDF852F25AFF.png
    3EDD2893-2E6E-4FA9-B0B2-BDF852F25AFF.png
    885 KB · Views: 1,654
Yesterday, the Irvine City Council approved a land and development agreement with Five Point regarding the Great Park:

https://irvine.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=&event_id=1439&meta_id=92932

1. City would take control of the Great Park?s  Bosque and Upper Bee trails very soon. Five Point consultant explained the city could take control of the Great Park trails at the beginning of the new month (land swap was approved which allows Five Point to take deed of land near the tennis courts and playground, so the city obtains control of trails). Five Point?s GPN Facebook page posted information (from Cadence Park School) of a public opening of the Great Park trails for May 1, 2019! (I hope they open it next week)
https://m.facebook.com/GreatParkNeighborhoods/?__tn__=C-R

2. Five Point would relocate and expand the Great Park playground (near the tennis courts) to the grass area near the balloon (estimate is five months). Five Point has to complete the new playground before land near the tennis courts and playground transforms into retail.

3. Five Point would place small scale retail, pop up restaurants, entertainment and passive park land at the area near the tennis courts (area in red) Five Point consultant mentioned Five Point has the pop up containers and minor utility connections would be done (estimate of opening is this fall).

4. Five Point would help fund Great Park Administration Building (money was moved from hydro seeding). This new building would be placed at Terrace Lawn near the Art Gallery (I wish they would keep the lawn!)

5.Five Point would have to submit plans for golf course, Lower Bosque and Sports Park Phase 5 (plans for parking lot, but awaiting Olympic Water Polo pool plan) by May 2020.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• 9EE60AB3-7B33-42E8-9BB3-EE4DB7FE918C.png
    9EE60AB3-7B33-42E8-9BB3-EE4DB7FE918C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,289
  • 620E686F-B186-46B9-B77D-547C106FFFAB.png
    620E686F-B186-46B9-B77D-547C106FFFAB.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,257
  • 1F5C4645-C7DB-4EBD-B3D3-7C149B4C81A2.png
    1F5C4645-C7DB-4EBD-B3D3-7C149B4C81A2.png
    580.8 KB · Views: 1,219
  • 5B45CC96-8273-4CF8-BBC7-2F4C610CEEF7.png
    5B45CC96-8273-4CF8-BBC7-2F4C610CEEF7.png
    631.8 KB · Views: 1,199
Five Point?s Great Park Retail and Dining Photos (could be done this Fall). These pop up businesses will be placed in the area near the tennis courts.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• 18F2CA18-CCCA-4B00-9AF8-A70DBAD63C93.png
    18F2CA18-CCCA-4B00-9AF8-A70DBAD63C93.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,264
  • A9D19237-357D-4A98-B97E-20EE3EFF9F46.png
    A9D19237-357D-4A98-B97E-20EE3EFF9F46.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,198