Orange County Great Park: Sports park, water park, ice rink, golf course

Went to the festivities, free Simply Lemonade for everyone!  Sports Park is pretty cool, lots of wide open space for soccer matches and tons of tennis courts.  Even though there were thousands of people there, it didn't feel crowded at all which was great.

Five Points did it again. Very nice planning. Not an easy task to coordinate all of the events. The sport park is totally awesome. Not some lame patches of grass by all mean. This will set the par pretty high.

aquabliss said:
Went to the festivities, free Simply Lemonade for everyone!  Sports Park is pretty cool, lots of wide open space for soccer matches and tons of tennis courts.  Even though there were thousands of people there, it didn't feel crowded at all which was great.

FYI - some Asians don't like to stay in the sun

eyephone said:
aquabliss said:

Tennis players were like 75% Asian.  Soccer not us much.

Am I the only one a bit underwhelmed by the sports park? Whole thing felt a bit sterile, rows and rows of courts and fields. Nothing really interesting or unique about the design or amenities. Children's playground, aside from the zipline, was also just average, not worth making a special trip to visit. City seems to view the park as a commercial oppty. Overall, it's a nice to have and a net positive, but a missed opportunity to have done something more creative. I would've preferred to have 1-2 fields cut out to make space for some nice outdoor meeting/gathering/picnic spots and better landscaping around the peripheries. 

aquabliss said:
eyephone said:
aquabliss said:

Tennis players were like 75% Asian.  Soccer not us much.

Because they are not the light skinned Asians. (Protective sun gear)

But if they built indoor badminton courts. It will be hella packed.

i1 said:
Am I the only one a bit underwhelmed by the sports park? Whole thing felt a bit sterile, rows and rows of courts and fields. Nothing really interesting or unique about the design or amenities. Children's playground, aside from the zipline, was also just average, not worth making a special trip to visit. City seems to view the park as a commercial oppty. Overall, it's a nice to have and a net positive, but a missed opportunity to have done something more creative. I would've preferred to have 1-2 fields cut out to make space for some nice outdoor meeting/gathering/picnic spots and better landscaping around the peripheries. 

Agree with you here.  Maybe it's because all the nice park design 5P has done in the other neighborhoods, we are expecting something more here. 

irvinehomeshopper said:
This is not the lame pocket parks we are used to seeing. World class sports parks, Olympic caliber organizations and 2028 Olympic in Los Angeles we will see GreatPark possibly contributing to hosting one or more events and possibly be the training ground for athletes. During the 1984 Olympic the incredible success and the only profitable year through out the history of Olympic was to utilize satellite venues rather than all concentration in one Olympic village. The grand opening will be this Saturday and at 7pm Dan Ackroyd and Jim Belushi will be doing a Blue Brothers concert. Commercial will soon wrap around these venues to feed off the sports synergy.

IHS, with Ice Complex coming 2018 and signage now up for dining and retail, when is base camp supposed to happen? Looks like the land is graded so hopefully soon!

Would be nice if they had a big playground area much like Bill Barber park.

I didn't see the zipline stuff.  I'll have to go back and check it out.

The new stadium was pretty nice, though. 

spootieho said:
Would be nice if they had a big playground area much like Bill Barber park.

I didn't see the zipline stuff.  I'll have to go back and check it out.

The new stadium was pretty nice, though.

I'm no expert on sports park.. but where have you seen a park where they build up a soccer stadium, beach volley ball (and mini mini stadium), ice rinks, and all the other stuff that gets built like baseball and soccer fields, tennis courts? 

I've went back tonight and the place was pretty empty, which was great.  This is the perfect spot to teach kids to ride their bikes.  Lots of open space, not many people around (yet), and room to ride around while they get the hang of it.  They were riding up and down the soccer field paths, down to the carousel, through the playground area, between the hangars, around the stadium... Lots of space they were loving it.

I admit it's not as upscale feeling as if Irvine Co. did it, but I'm still glad to have it within a mile of home.

Yeah, pretty massive and they're still constructing.
It's weird driving around there, especially towards the back, lack of paved shoulders

City of Irvine and 5P trying to get people to drink the Koolaid on this.

It's big and massive, but a lot of cities have smaller sports parks that are done much nicer and intended for their city residents to use. This was built for commercial opportunities instead and less for Irvine residents.

I'm waiting for the thread about the tons of adult soccer players that will flood in from cities that don't have many sport fields.

i1 said:
City of Irvine and 5P trying to get people to drink the Koolaid on this.

I'm waiting for the thread about the tons of adult soccer players that will flood in from cities that don't have many sport fields.

Here comes the Soccer clubs, Soccer moms, and Soccer familia (footbol) jk

Rather than building massive sport complexes historical precedents indicated the land would have been used otherwise for more apertments, strip malls and business parks. I applaud these athleticism inspired land uses and provides a mixed use opportunities to promoting better health. The cultural terrace and museum would satisfy the passive leisure activities for those opposed to this maga complexes. No other master planned communities in the nation would engaged this sort of massive undertakings and hiring the architect of olmypic stadiums and villages to design landmarks that will put Irvine into the global map. In 1965 when the very first Olympic size pool in OC was built in Mission Viejo several generations of Gold medal Olympians were from MV. The Silicon Valley is well known for their Olympian skaters. Indirectly in added value to home prices provided the good school districts. Irvine schools are terrible in sports and continuing to decline every year. Perhaps these sports Park will attract families with active and athletic kids.

We biked around yesterday and it seemed the park is getting a lot of use.. I would say 2/3rs of the tennis courts were in use and a couple of the soccer fields as well.  Lots of kids on the play ground too.

For us its great to have all these amenities within walking distance.  Just sitting around in the green areas is cool in my book.

Back