Orange County Great Park: Sports park, water park, ice rink, golf course

They don't have 700 acres, but they have open parking spaces. (Create more retail spaces?) Isn't the university center managed by the Irvine Company Retail Properties?

noMoneyBackin2011 said:
because they don't have ~700 acres available to work with at university town center? 

honestly if the only thing that is lost is the man made canyon...then fine by me, no big deal.

totally spot on w/regards to a massive sports park with zero amenities.    Just make sure to have a massive multi use complex and i'll be happy.  hell i would have been okay with a library-ish type of thing with many functional spaces/rooms (as opposed to a boring traditional library).

Hell I'd drop the golf course and think about a better use of that space.  Even fields with lots of trees is better than a golf course. Maybe add the basketball courts that should have never been missed.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
university town  center is already so crowded....with new restaurants opening and  a new Target location opening this summer

Let me give you a scenario. After class do you want to hang out at Target or DJ?
Maybe if they need to get stuff, Target is the answer. But if they want to "chill or get a bite to eat" then DJ might be the answer.

You have to ask the question. Why is DJ jam packed? Because there is a lot of food, drinks, and desert choices.

irvinehomeowner said:
iacrenter said:
This is Irvine-- bocce ball >>> basketball 😉

You are dead to me.

Something I will never hear:

"Hey IHO, want to run some bocce Saturday morning?"

I also laughed after first seeing bocce ball courts at new home communities. IHS and his architect friends must love the sport.

Laduree opened today at Georgetown.

WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Which colleges have the best university Village full of eateries like Dean and Deluca, Macaroons, cupcakes, shoppings like Anthropology, J Crew, Kate Spade, Northface, Zagot rated restaurants offering international cuisines, neighborhood bars and no homelessness.
Trader Joe's, Hmart and Wholefoods nearby.

But what college kid shops at Dean & Deluca??  IHS, you've been watching too many Felicity reruns.

Ok, I'll bite.  The only place with all of those shops is Georgetown.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Laduree opened today at Georgetown.

WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Which colleges have the best university Village full of eateries like Dean and Deluca, Macaroons, cupcakes, shoppings like Anthropology, J Crew, Kate Spade, Northface, Zagot rated restaurants offering international cuisines, neighborhood bars and no homelessness.
Trader Joe's, Hmart and Wholefoods nearby.

But what college kid shops at Dean & Deluca??  IHS, you've been watching too many Felicity reruns.

Ok, I'll bite.  The only place with all of those shops is Georgetown.

Ladur?e is becoming the McDonald's of macarons.  They are opening up everywhere.  I don't know if they could survive in Irvine...  too many Viet copycats for 1/5 the price.

Lady M is struggling. Laduree will not come to Irvine. Irvinites are happy with Lee Sandwiches. SCP could be a possibility for Laduree to considered because the the Gabrielinos' shopping spree. 

irvinehomeshopper said:
Lady M is struggling. Laduree will not come to Irvine. Irvinites are happy with Lee Sandwiches. SCP could be a possibility for Laduree to considered because the the Gabrielinos' shopping spree.

Mille crepes are yesterday's news.  The millennials have moved on to the next fad - Uncle Tetsu cheesecake - coming soon to an Irvine strip mall near you.

Millennials are so dumb. Unfortunately, I'm one of them. Slap a Japanese name on any pile of steaming hot garbage and they'll go for it.

This is not the lame pocket parks we are used to seeing. World class sports parks, Olympic caliber organizations and 2028 Olympic in Los Angeles we will see GreatPark possibly contributing to hosting one or more events and possibly be the training ground for athletes. During the 1984 Olympic the incredible success and the only profitable year through out the history of Olympic was to utilize satellite venues rather than all concentration in one Olympic village. The grand opening will be this Saturday and at 7pm Dan Ackroyd and Jim Belushi will be doing a Blue Brothers concert. Commercial will soon wrap around these venues to feed off the sports synergy.

I think it's actually the *REAL*  Jim Belushi and  Dan Akroyd performing on  Saturday.

I thought Jim Belushi died but googled that it was actually John Belushi that died, Jim is still kicking.

John was in the movie no?
So it's his bro taking the place in this blues bros event

Never understood the draw of the blues brothers.. guess it's beyond my time.

jmoney74 said:
Never understood the draw of the blues brothers.. guess it's beyond my time.
I hear they were one of the best blues bands of their time.  Part of the appeal, though, is nostalgic with the actors. 

Back