Once again...nothing to be done but prayers and thoughts

So when has there been a mass school shooting in Orange County? I think there has been one but I can't remember where nor does my Google-Fu work.

What areas of the nation do these not occur?

What is different about them because I think that's what we have to focus on.

Ready2Downsize said:
fortune11 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
Went back five recent pages worth of posts and stopped. Talk IRVINE has become Talk TRUMP or Talk ANTI TRUMP.

What a shame.

Yeah everything was fine when it was pro trump ?winning ? all the time .. the good old days , I miss them too !

No, actually it wasn't. It was a good board when it was Talk IRVINE.

You have to realize it's not their fault.  They are suffering from a disease called Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) that doesn't allow them to post about any topic without somehow tying it to Trump.

At first, I didn't think this disease was real.  I saw the toll it took on Perspective during the election, but I thought it was just a personal tick isolated to him.  Now after intensive study on Facebook, I realize millions of Americans are afflicted by this disease.  They can't help but engage in anti-Trump posting on social media every chance they get.  I think it ties into their feelings of loss of empowerment.

Anybody that presents a logical argument to those suffering from TDS triggers over-the-top reactions and accusations of racism.  It's really very sad, and we must have the utmost of sympathy for their condition.  They didn't ask for this disease and they can't control it.  So we need to be there for them throughout the next 7 years of MAGA.

Scream All you want, I told you, nothing will change.  March on.

Here Are the Eight Miami GOP Dirtbags Who Just Voted Down Assault Weapon Ban

Perhaps no piece of news illustrates how depraved and broken the Florida political system is than what just went down in Tallahassee. Just six days after Nikolas Cruz used an AR-15 assault rifle to murder 14 teenagers and three adults at a high school in Parkland, the Florida House of Representatives voted down a measure to ban purchases of assault rifles and large-capacity magazines statewide.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/florida-house-votes-down-assault-rifle-ban-after-parkland-10106286

Florida a very safe place to visit?

morekaos said:
Scream All you want, I told you, nothing will change.  March on.

Here Are the Eight Miami GOP Dirtbags Who Just Voted Down Assault Weapon Ban

Perhaps no piece of news illustrates how depraved and broken the Florida political system is than what just went down in Tallahassee. Just six days after Nikolas Cruz used an AR-15 assault rifle to murder 14 teenagers and three adults at a high school in Parkland, the Florida House of Representatives voted down a measure to ban purchases of assault rifles and large-capacity magazines statewide.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/florida-house-votes-down-assault-rifle-ban-after-parkland-10106286

My point is, if they could not get this passed there, just weeks after the tragedy, then hopes of a national bill are fanciful...nothing will change. Maybe little gives here and there but no bans or gun grabs will come of this.  It will fade till the next one.

This is what is commonly referred to as An Inconvenient Truth:

http://dailycaller.com/2018/03/06/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-1994-assault-weapons-ban-to-prevent-another-one/

Read at your own peril.

Or.. if you prefer - the "money quotes"

The FBI says that during the last six years of the ban, firearms were used to kill 54,468 people, 2,483 of whom were killed with a rifle. During the first six years after the ban ? with 19 million more guns on the street ? the FBI says firearms were used to kill 58,065 people, 2,432 of whom were killed with a rifle.

What? More people were killed with a rifle during the ban than after the ban? Could it be the assault ban made no difference to homicide by rifle? Why, yes, yes it could. And with 19 million more guns on the street after the ban, there were only 3,597 additional firearms homicides? Could it be that limiting guns had very little impact on limiting total firearms homicides? Why, yes, yes it could.

My .02c

Liar Loan said:
Ready2Downsize said:
fortune11 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
Went back five recent pages worth of posts and stopped. Talk IRVINE has become Talk TRUMP or Talk ANTI TRUMP.

What a shame.

Yeah everything was fine when it was pro trump ?winning ? all the time .. the good old days , I miss them too !

No, actually it wasn't. It was a good board when it was Talk IRVINE.

You have to realize it's not their fault.  They are suffering from a disease called Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) that doesn't allow them to post about any topic without somehow tying it to Trump.

At first, I didn't think this disease was real.  I saw the toll it took on Perspective during the election, but I thought it was just a personal tick isolated to him.  Now after intensive study on Facebook, I realize millions of Americans are afflicted by this disease.  They can't help but engage in anti-Trump posting on social media every chance they get.  I think it ties into their feelings of loss of empowerment.

Anybody that presents a logical argument to those suffering from TDS triggers over-the-top reactions and accusations of racism.  It's really very sad, and we must have the utmost of sympathy for their condition.  They didn't ask for this disease and they can't control it.  So we need to be there for them throughout the next 7 years of MAGA.

LOL .. I haven't browsed this thread in a while but came across this and bingo ... wonder why it took this long for someone to post this intelligent " meme " or comment which is by the way , a fairly common occurrence on all the fake news / right wing sites / drudge etc.  for last two years ...

Bravo , now you can all pat each other on the back and claim that you've owned the libs !

every losing argument boils down to this - hey we won so ....  whatever whatever 

maybe best to wait till after the midterms to continue this chest thumping.  lets all pump some iron in the meantime

Hey , is this the same state of Florida we were talking about , or is this in a different country ? Someone enlighten us rubes please

Defying NRA, Florida legislature passes new rules to impose waiting period, raise purchasing age for long guns

The Florida House bill imposes a three-day waiting period for most purchases of long guns and raises the minimum age for purchasing those weapons to 21. It also provides nearly $100 million to improve school security and $67 million to fund a new sheriff program that would allow school districts to voluntarily train and arm employees who do not exclusively teach in the classroom.

The response to the Feb. 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that left 17 dead signaled a major shift for a state known as a legal laboratory for gun rights activists. It could become a blueprint for other states looking at new measures to address mass shootings.

morekaos said:
Tiny gimees not sweeping changes. Nothing to see here, move along.

yup, we get it --- this is totally like rowing a boat in a rapid river and seeing the water gradually get rough and rougher and rougher ... but hey nothing to see here  till your little dinghy falls right off the cliff 

More feel good legislation that will change nothing but will give cover to those who want it, in order to claim they ?care?, but will accomplish nothing, will change nothing and will soon be forgotten....March on.

Why is it so hard for people to admit they are wrong :)

I can easily say ? I told you so?  many weeks ago when I said ?this time is different?  but whatever has happened so far , even if ?small?  in your opinion, is magnitudes bigger than anything that happened after similar events over the last 10 years . Especially after sandy hook . And it is not even  finished yet .

And this is happening with a NRA-hostage republican party?s peak of the power in White House , senate and House to boot !

And yet it is the kids and millennials who are deemed immature and unworthy of dealing w logic ...

An assault weapons ban is the goal, anything short is failure to #neveragain. When that happens (and it won?t) I?ll admit I was wrong, I won?t have to. Has as much chance of success as #bringbackourgirls.

Attachments

• mo.jpg
    mo.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 161
irvinehomeowner said:
So when has there been a mass school shooting in Orange County? I think there has been one but I can't remember where nor does my Google-Fu work.

What areas of the nation do these not occur?

What is different about them because I think that's what we have to focus on.

So no one else knows the answer either?

fortune11 said:
Why is it so hard for people to admit they are wrong :)

I can easily say ? I told you so?  many weeks ago when I said ?this time is different?  but whatever has happened so far , even if ?small?  in your opinion, is magnitudes bigger than anything that happened after similar events over the last 10 years . Especially after sandy hook . And it is not even  finished yet .

And this is happening with a NRA-hostage republican party?s peak of the power in White House , senate and House to boot !

And yet it is the kids and millennials who are deemed immature and unworthy of dealing w logic ...

Not true. It's not different this time. Sandy Hooke had a very similar national reaction that led to the same incremental but useless legislation and the real goal of assault weapons bans were never achieved...same as this incident.  The same outcome will be achieved. Failure.

How gun laws have changed in the 5 years since Sandy Hook

The state level is where the majority of the action on gun legislation has happened in the past five years. All told, since Sandy Hook, there have been 210 laws enacted to strengthen gun safety, according to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

That includes background check laws in four states that didn't have them before and expansions of existing background check laws in seven others, bringing the total to 18 states and the District of Columbia with background checks in place, according to the center.

The 2013 failures of the Assault Weapons Ban and the Manchin-Toomey Amendment stand out as the two biggest blows to federal gun control legislation, but gun rights advocates have celebrated other legislative wins since the Sandy Hook shooting as well.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gun-laws-changed-years-sandy-hook/story?id=51668726

Back