Oil

morekaos said:
AW said:
why would tesla owners be calling for uber round trip, do all tesla owners have zero charge when black outs happens, and only you have a full tank on your bronco?  are we expecting black out for consecutive weeks, months?  ice folks would face similar issues if that happens at the pump

let me guess, if that happens, fortunately for you, you'll be on your yacht and sucks for everyone else?

The Bronco's tank is always full becaus I drive a golf cart to work so if a blackout doesn't charge it...I have a backup.  If you overnight charge on 110v (as IHO does) you are SOL after a blackout. Leaving the lowly Petrol Uber as your chariot to work.  I actually rely on the 450 gallon tank on my boat as a backup for generator and emergency housing.  Its can provide shelter, water, food, power and possibly mobility in case of total blackouts.

See, again, morekaos knows nothing about EVs.

Just like gas cars, no one really runs their EV down to 0%. Most of the time, because our commutes are local, we are at 70% or higher at the end of the day... charging overnight takes us to 90% (based on "good" battery charging habits to extend the life).

So even if there was a blackout, I still have 70% charge to get me to an area without a blackout and Supercharge (because Tesla SCs are everwhere) or I can use ChargePoint or ElectrifyAmerica or EVGo for our other EV that is even more everwhere.

So like you, I have a backup and... I still have my ICE car (which we rarely drive)... so yeah, more redundancy... I even have an ebike and regular bikes too... and none of those need water to get anywhere.

And now that you've been soundly pounded into the ground... time to break out your "Just kidding" card?

irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
Really this doesn't affect me much.
... I can afford it. 
... the middle and lower class suffers the most
...sucks for them
;D ;D >:D

This is your real story... selfishness.

The patterns in your posts reveal all.

Where is Liar Loan to scold you for getting yours and not thinking about the little guy?

Refurbishing a 30 year old vehicle and driving an electric golf cart are quite possibly two of the best things you can do for the environment.  Morekaos deserves props for that.

You, on the other hand, buy a new vehicle every two years, which is terrible for the environment.  Hence, you are the one living a selfish lifestyle by destroying the planet we all have to live on.

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
... I can afford it. 
...sucks for them

Where is Liar Loan to scold you for getting yours and not thinking about the little guy?

Refurbishing a 30 year old vehicle and driving an electric golf cart are quite possibly two of the best things you can do for the environment.  Morekaos deserves props for that.

You, on the other hand, buy a new vehicle every two years, which is terrible for the environment.  Hence, you are the one living a selfish lifestyle by destroying the planet we all have to live on.
?and then all that gets offset with the environmental impact of owning a yacht?

Poor LL has to hold up morekaos' pants because he can't find any other support here.

What do you drive LL? Do you support EVs or prefer to go ICE ICE baby?

Hold up?  I'm not in the minority on this issue.  Almost 50% of all EV sales are right here in California.  We are the only state that EV adoption is showing up at all and even here it is a minuscule percentage of vehicles on the road.  It is also here where all the weaknesses and pressure points will show. You are the Guinee pigs for this expensive experiment.  Enjoy the gerbil house before it collapses like Tonapah. Unicorns and Rainbows...

California's electrical grid has an EV problem

California energy officials issued a sobering warning this month, telling residents to brace for potential blackouts as the state?s energy grid faces capacity constraints heading into the summer months.

And since the state has committed to phase out all new gas-powered vehicles by 2035 ? well ahead of federal targets ? the additional load from electric vehicle (EV) charging could add more strain to the electric grid.

?Let?s say we were to have a substantial number of [electric] vehicles charging at home as everybody dreams,? Ram Rajagopal, an associate professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Stanford University, who authored a recent study looking at the strain electric vehicle adoption is expected to place on the power grid, told Yahoo Finance. ?Today?s grid may not be able to support it. It all boils down to: Are you charging during the time solar power is on??
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ev-adoption-behavioral-changes-101718236.html

AW said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
... I can afford it. 
...sucks for them

?and then all that gets offset with the environmental impact of owning a yacht?

It's only selfish depending on your point of view.  I don't believe "one guy can make a difference" or for that matter, on this issue energy, one country.  I prefer to err to the side of practicality and market forces.  Energy is the root of all of our current economic woes.  Climate change, if you believe it is man made, can't be changed by you or me or our country.  People, in general, are lifted out out poverty and made better by cheap and readily available energy....Drill baby Drill!!! is the only practical answer.

irvinehomeowner said:
Poor LL has to hold up morekaos' pants because he can't find any other support here.

I try to get the full usable life out of my cars before buying a new one, which means buying cars infrequently (the best policy from an environmental standpoint). My last car was 15 years old before I sold it - a Toyota with 200k miles.

At that time, there were no EV's that were big enough for a large family.  Has that changed?  Are there any seven-passenger EV's on the market now?

The 7-passenger Model Y is more like 5+2 kids.

R1S is 7-passenger EV but long wait time.

PHEV:

Chrysler Pacifica
Kia Sorento
Mitsubishi Outlander (later this year)

morekaos said:
It's only selfish depending on your point of view.  I don't believe "one guy can make a difference" or for that matter, on this issue energy, one country.  I prefer to err to the side of practicality and market forces.  Energy is the root of all of our current economic woes.  Climate change, if you believe it is man made, can't be changed by you or me or our country.  People, in general, are lifted out out poverty and made better by cheap and readily available energy....Drill baby Drill!!! is the only practical answer.

The flaw here is that currently, oil is not cheap. And there is no guarantee that "drill baby drill" will make it cheaper because oil is not really renewable.

So by your logic, one more drill... or one hundred more drills may really not matter.

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I try to get the full usable life out of my cars before buying a new one, which means buying cars infrequently (the best policy from an environmental standpoint). My last car was 15 years old before I sold it - a Toyota with 200k miles.

Do you have a chart proving that keeping a car for 15 years vs 3 years is better for the environment?

All cars don't last forever so they have to make new ones and it's not like my 3-year old car goes into the junkyard... it goes to someone else to use which is going to happen, just like more people are born.

What helps the environment is more cars that use clean/renewable energy... and to cycle out the gas burners. Or are you like morekaos and don't get that concept?

I'll put my morekaos hat on... do you think your one 15 year old Toyota burning gas made a difference and was better for the environment?

The contradiction in both of you is so hilarious.

Wrong, it doesn't have to be renewable..we have lots of it right under our feet... simple supply and demand dynamics...however, there is a reason we are not pumping as much oil daily as we were just a year and a half ago...hmmmm...what happened then that changed that?..let me think...

Oh yah...Brandon happened and now we are mocked ....

Alberta Premier Mocks Biden for Refusing Canadian Oil: 'You Don?t Need the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet to Patrol the Great Lakes'

One of the most frustrating aspects of the Biden administration ? and Lord knows there are a lot of things that infuriate people about them ? is the way the U.S. went from a net energy exporter to record high gas prices and a reliance on oil imported from other countries.

The administration knows exactly what it?s doing. The White House has acquiesced to the environmental lobby, and the end game is a push for ?green energy? that?s both infeasible and expensive, at least right now. But that hasn?t stopped the drive to punish Americans who haven?t followed the administration?s flippant advice to buy an expensive electric vehicle.

In the meantime, until all you rubes go electric, the administration is looking to nations that are hostile to American values like Venezuela and Iran. If we must import our oil, why not get it from North America? I?ve written before about one Canadian official who has invited the U.S. to buy oil from our friendly northern neighbors, and this week the premier of one Canadian province (like the governor of a state) spoke to a U.S. Senate committee to make the same offer.

"That?s why we were so taken aback when President Biden vetoed the Keystone XL Pipeline.

It would have safely delivered 830,000 barrels a day of responsibly produced Canadian energy to the United States, more than displacing the 670,000 barrels a day that you bought from Putin?s Russia last year.

We were also perplexed when the Administration?s response to sky high gas prices was to plead with OPEC to produce and sell more oil, while working to lift sanctions on Iranian and Venezuelan exports.

White House officials have reportedly discussed a Presidential visit to Saudi Arabia to press for more production of their oil, and exports to the US.

Oil that is used to buy cluster bombs dropped on Yemeni civilians.

Senators, Calgary is a lot closer to Washington than Riyadh.

And you don?t need the US Navy?s Fifth Fleet to patrol the Great Lakes.

To quote former Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer, ?we don?t have to send the National Guard into Alberta.?
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politi...-eastern-oil-instead-of-canadian-oil-n1598687

The grid is totally screwed and energy shortages will Balkanize CA. This why I took the subsidy money and bought the Solar + PW. There was a big story up here recently about the challenges facing Palo Alto as they try to re-architect their grid for a green future. Net net they realize they're totally screwed, but I learned something tragic but kind of funny from the article: People like me that generate way more than I use can actually blow out the transformers due to the older grid capacities in place. Sorry neighbors!!

Ah, so you're saying all the auto industry (us, european, asian) dumping billions into EV will collapse, short/puts on auto makers
morekaos said:
Hold up?  I'm not in the minority on this issue.  Almost 50% of all EV sales are right here in California.  We are the only state that EV adoption is showing up at all and even here it is a minuscule percentage of vehicles on the road.  It is also here where all the weaknesses and pressure points will show. You are the Guinee pigs for this expensive experiment.  Enjoy the gerbil house before it collapses like Tonapah. Unicorns and Rainbows...

California energy officials issued a sobering warning this month, telling residents to brace for potential blackouts as the state?s energy grid faces capacity constraints heading into the summer months.

And since the state has committed to phase out all new gas-powered vehicles by 2035 ? well ahead of federal targets ? the additional load from electric vehicle (EV) charging could add more strain to the electric grid.

?Let?s say we were to have a substantial number of [electric] vehicles charging at home as everybody dreams,? Ram Rajagopal, an associate professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Stanford University, who authored a recent study looking at the strain electric vehicle adoption is expected to place on the power grid, told Yahoo Finance. ?Today?s grid may not be able to support it. It all boils down to: Are you charging during the time solar power is on??

morekaos said:

California's electrical grid has an aging problem. Calling it an EV problem is just a convenient spin.

Our electrical grid is graded D+ due to aging. Most of the critical infrastructure including transmission & distribution lines were constructed in the 1950s -1960s with a 50-year life expectancy.

The growth of EVs is actually forcing much needed upgrades in our energy infrastructure.

morekaos said:
Wrong, it doesn't have to be renewable..we have lots of it right under our feet... simple supply and demand dynamics...however, there is a reason we are not pumping as much oil daily as we were just a year and a half ago...hmmmm...what happened then that changed that?..let me think...

Oh this solves it all.

I think you should stick to financial advising, clearly EV technology and environmental impact of oil usage is out of your wheelhouse.

When idiots are in charge you get predictable results...

Every Time Biden Drained Strategic Oil Reserves, Prices Ended Up Higher. Here?s The Proof

President Joe Biden has raided the Strategic Petroleum Reserve three times, but the actions have had minimal impact on oil and gasoline prices, data showed.
?Today, we?re launching a major effort to moderate the price of oil ? an effort that will span the globe in its reach and, ultimately, reach your corner gas station, God willing,? Biden said on Nov. 23, 2021, after the first SPR release.
?The action I?m calling for will make a real difference over time,? the president remarked on March 31, 2022, after the third release.
https://dailycaller.com/2022/05/29/joe-biden-strategic-petroleum-reserve-oil-gasoline/

So shouldn't this make you want an EV more?

08461bec2ff7c3a92af38eec666458432e927ce3.jpeg

Back