Observations from the front lines of the Irvine housing market?

So to say that 2020 was an interesting year in the real estate market would be a huge understatement. The year starts off at a healthy balance with a very weak seller?s market then it basically freezes for 4-6 weeks in mid-March when we got the lockdown to a full-blown buying frenzy in the past 3-4 months of the year. 

Attached is the data for both November and December 2020. Interestingly enough, November 2020 saw a drop in sales volume to 268 sold homes from 317 sold homes in October 2020 but sales volume was still up over 26% YOY in November 2020.  From my analysis of the data, it would seem that the drop in sales was due in part to a lack of resale inventory and the timing of closings getting pushed out to December (maybe because of the Thanksgiving holiday).  That being said, December 2020 was a record sales month with 320 closed transactions which was up over 36% from December 2019.  This was the most shocking part of the data for me as December tends to seasonably be one of the low sales volume months of the year.  As of January 18th, we still have 315 Irvine homes in escrow so it looks like January may also be a very strong sales month as well. 

The median home price dipped down to $480/sf in November 2020 but then blipped higher to $487/sf.  Not sure what caused the November dip as I saw more intense bidding by lower-end buyers starting in October so maybe it more higher-priced homes selling since we saw a large drop in sub $1m home purchases in November to 62% from 67% in October.  That trend continues into December while the median sales price increase which tells me that the higher-priced homes increased in price as well to bring up median sales price in December.

Inventory levels continued their decline in November and December.  The decline from 730 homes in October 2020 to 554 in November was fairly steep and over 24% less inventory than November 2019 but still somewhat in line with the seasonal drop that is seen during that time.  December saw a continuation of the decrease in inventory to 458 homes for sale at the end of the year which was almost 20% less than the number of homes for sale at the end of 2019 and those levels haven?t been seen since early 2018.  Some may ask?what?s causing the low inventory problem, lack of supply or too much demand.  Well, I checked the data and discovered that there were 984 new listings from September 2020 through November 2020 while there was 855 new listings from September 2019 through November 2019 or a 15% increase in the number of new listings in the 2020 time period.  This tells me that the strong demand is causing the low supply, not the lack of new homes coming onto the market.  You can see that in the 3-month average of inventory levels which are now below 2 months worth of inventory which is means we are in a very strong seller?s market.  The lower end of the market (sub $900k) is seeing the least amount of inventory and the most intense bidding wars from buyers.

It has been increasingly more and more difficult to get my buyers a home into escrow as the bidding wars seem to get crazier and crazier out there.  It?s not just the Irvine market, I?ve made offers for clients in Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Cypress, Laguna Niguel, Fountain Valley, and a few other OC cities and it?s the same thing?.hard to get a showing appt and 5-20 offers.  I can?t say that the market is frothy as it feels more like a low-interest FOMO by lower end buyers.  In the majority of instances, sellers will either just accept the highest offer buyer offer right off the bat or only counter the top 2-4 buyers so I tell my buyers to put their best foot forward with their initial offer.  Buyers are asked to waive appraisal contingencies and shorten their contingency removal period to as few as 10 days on seller multiple counteroffers.  If you aren?t bidding materially over the list price and current comps (regardless of recent the comps are) or you are putting less than 20% down, you basically have very little chance in getting the home (forget about being a contingent buyer in this market). 

Most builder waitlists for lower-end homes continue to build so if you are not on the waitlist then your chances of getting a lot are pretty slim.  I?ve seen some significant price increases (5%+) from CalPac for their homes including Tristania, Montara, Celeste, and Talise in the past few months as they see how strong the real estate market has become.  Even higher-end builders are increasing the pace of their homes sales and demand including Lennar with Capella and Crescendo along with Shea who is selling Cetara.  Many builders will not allow you to purchase a home until you have closed on the sale of your home if you are contingent (a few do allow you to get into a contract if you are in escrow). 

Interest rates stayed pretty steady around 2.50% to 2.625% for conforming loans but we saw jumbo loan rates dip down into the 2.75% to 2.875% range in the last few months of the year.  Even investment property interest rates dipped down to 3% from the low 3% range in the past few months which has brought a few of my investment clients into the market. The high balance conforming loan limit increased from $765,500 in 2020 to $822,375 in 2021. Last week we did see interest rates increase a bit and ranged 2.75% to 2.825% due to gov?t fiscal spending plans which caused a selloff in the bond and MBS bond markets. The jumbo loan rates seemed to stay flattish for the most part from what I heard from my Wells and BofA lender. It?ll be interesting to see where rates go from here.

Overall, the market remains to be very strong and even nice higher-priced properties are going into escrow quickly. It doesn?t look like the increased covid case and death counts have done anything to the real estate market in the past few months. The competition for homes in the lower end seems to have intensified and gotten worse.  In my opinion, the market has swung too much into a seller?s market which is not healthy and causes a lot of irrational buyer decisions.  Hopefully, once we get into February and March we will see a higher amount of homes hit the market so most of that buyer demand can be satisfied. 

Attachments

• Irvine Sales & Inventory Data - Dec 2020.xlsx
    44 KB · Views: 76
Here are the 5-year charts for active listings, closed sales, median per SF, and Days On Market (DOM) through December 2020.

Attachments

• Dec 2020 - Active Listings.png
    Dec 2020 - Active Listings.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Dec 2020 - Closed Sales.png
    Dec 2020 - Closed Sales.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Dec 2020 - Median Price per SF.png
    Dec 2020 - Median Price per SF.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Dec 2020 - DOM.png
    Dec 2020 - DOM.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 104
Here are a few of my predictions for 2021...

1) Home prices will be modestly up from the end of 2020 (3-5%) in general with lower-end price increases being over 5% while higher-end home prices will be flat to slightly up (few %).
2) Conforming interest rates will stay around the 2.50% to 3.00% range
3) The year will have a record number of annual homes sales as more homes are listed on the market
4) Lower end of the market will remain very competitive in 2021 for buyers

These predictions are all assuming that at some point things open back up due to most people getting vaccinated in 2021 and the job market will slowly improve over the year while the Fed and gov't continue to provide trillions in fiscal and monetary stimulus.  Obviously if we get some kind of crazy variant of the virus that is resistant to the vaccines that are our or coming out then all bets are off but that is not expected.

Thanks for the detailed analysis and insights.  Out of curiosity, can you expand on what you mentioned you are seeing with higher end sales and demand trends by home builders (Lennar, Shea, etc)?  Do you have more granular data available?  Thanks

ndmaynard said:
Thanks for the detailed analysis and insights.  Out of curiosity, can you expand on what you mentioned you are seeing with higher end sales and demand trends by home builders (Lennar, Shea, etc)?  Do you have more granular data available?  Thanks

Sure, so both from what I saw and from the market data the higher end of the market demand started picking up in the last 3-4 months of 2020.  I had 6 of these higher end transactions (resale purchases/listings and new home purchases) close in that time with only 2 before that in 2020.  During that time I also noticed that the higher end resale inventory levels decrease, even homes that were priced a bit high sold quickly so long as their were nicely upgraded and/or had a larger or view lot.  I also noticed that builders such as Lennar, Irvine Pacific, KB, Shea, etc were selling their new homes at a quicker sale starting in the late summer/early fall and either reduced their buyer incentives or outright eliminated them. Some of these builders like Shea (Padova) and Lennar (Capella/Crescendo) were giving buyers price reductions and/or design center credits of $100,000 and more through the summer.  Most all of the standing inventory lots that some of these builders really began to sell quickly in Q4 and there aren't many of these homes left today.  With Cetara in Orchard Hills there are over 100 buyers on the waitlist so if you haven't gotten onto that waitlist you may not be able to buy one of those homes. That being said, Shea underpriced those homes in my opinion and that along with the unique floor floor created really strong demand for those homes.

At least with my higher-end buyers, they were not really interest/monthly payment sensitive and were more looking to upgrade to a larger home (with space for 1 or 2 home offices, downstairs bedroom for parents, yard space for kids, more interior space for entertaining, a larger kitchen, etc) where they could live long term. The number of these higher-end buyers does drop off fairly significantly once you get above the  $2m-$2.5m price point.  You still see a good amount of resale inventory of $2m+ homes that linger on the market because either they are overpriced and/or they are very vanilla and plain (i.e. small lots, lack of upgrades, ordinary floor plans, etc). I believe that one big driver for this increase in higher-end demand is that buyers feel that inflation is coming and feel that the homes will appreciate in the longer term, which I also believe becasue I'm thinking about looking for a larger/more special home myself.

I was wondering how COVID may have impacted the Irvine market in general? I understand real estate is local but I am hearing of people moving to Arizona and Texas, and Florida, etc. I know there have been people saying that folks have been moving out of CA in general for 40 years but COVID is a different sort of animal and may upend alot of things long term. I was curious if anyway had thoughts on how this might effect Irvine specifically, good or bad, in the next couple of years and long term for housing prices and rents?

I can only say from my own preferences that I think Covid helped Irvine sales.

Why? It's a known fact that Irvine is a great place to live, to raise your kids, etc (at least to many of us, there are others who don't share this opinion).

I've always made sure that wherever I work, it's close to home for a variety of reasons like being able to take kids to/from school, going home for lunch, being close enough for maintenance/home improvement visits, taking lunch hour to run close to home errands (doctor, dentist, barber etc), less time commuting, etc etc.

Now, with Covid and most of our office going remote, I'm closer to home than ever... as are many others.

So not only do I live in a great city, I also "work" in one. Win-win.

irvineband said:
I was wondering how COVID may have impacted the Irvine market in general? I understand real estate is local but I am hearing of people moving to Arizona and Texas, and Florida, etc. I know there have been people saying that folks have been moving out of CA in general for 40 years but COVID is a different sort of animal and may upend alot of things long term. I was curious if anyway had thoughts on how this might effect Irvine specifically, good or bad, in the next couple of years and long term for housing prices and rents?

Great question, the demand to live in a great suburb town like Irvine has increased post-covid.  First off, I had 6 buyers last year who moved from the LA area, the Bay Area, Chicago, and NYC because they either wanted to move back to the area or knew of Irvine through friends/family/co-workers and were able to do so because they were working from home.  They wanted the safety of the town, good schools, numerous retail locations/variety, a home with a yard, and/or easy access to the airport. Several of my clients specifically looked for lots where they could build a pool and/or space for the kids or to entertain friends and family. 

Here's what's interesting though, about half of the listings that I showed to buyers post-covid had sellers who were selling because they were relocating to ID, NV, AZ, CO, UT, TX, TN, or FL.  Prior to covid, the majority of listings were due to the sellers wanting to upgrade or downsize their homes (much fewer were due to moving due to a job relocation).  My guess is that the ability to work from has allowed a lot of those relocating sellers to move out of state.  The big question in my mind is where are all the active buyers in the market coming from, I've never found it so difficult to schedule showings are many properties get 10-15 showings a day (this is crazy high...10 showings a week used to be a lot). Maybe there are a lot of move-up buyers and first time buyers due to the desire for more space and due to the super low rates. 

My immediate neighborhood is a small development of SFH and "duets" from 1985 surrounded by different neighborhoods of $2M+ homes on large to enormous lots. The recent closes in my neighborhood are all time highs, likely from 1st time younger buyers given the avg 2 earner family here makes north of $300K on the low end. In parallel I have many conversations at my country club with big $$ people looking to cash out and engineer a move to NV/AZ or even OC/SD where that equity goes a long way. I don't know anyone still working looking to leave and work remote as companies have been very vocal about those moves carrying large salary "adjustments".

OCtoSV said:
My immediate neighborhood is a small development of SFH and "duets" from 1985 surrounded by different neighborhoods of $2M+ homes on large to enormous lots. The recent closes in my neighborhood are all time highs, likely from 1st time younger buyers given the avg 2 earner family here makes north of $300K on the low end. In parallel I have many conversations at my country club with big $$ people looking to cash out and engineer a move to NV/AZ or even OC/SD where that equity goes a long way. I don't know anyone still working looking to leave and work remote as companies have been very vocal about those moves carrying large salary "adjustments".

Are you in SV?  I can't imagine a 15% paycut to a 300k+ income provides a lower QoL if someone moves from SF/South Bay to Orange County.  A couple could get a newerish 4 bedroom with tons of upgrades for 1-1.4M in the OC area, pretty sure you'd have to spend double to get something close to that in the aforementioned areas. 

OCtoSV said:

Yep... this is another good point. As expensive as we think Irvine is... it's not as expensive as other places and has the benefits of SoCal weather, proximity to snow and sea... and when it eventually opens up... Disneyland.

irvinehomeowner said:
OCtoSV said:

Yep... this is another good point. As expensive as we think Irvine is... it's not as expensive as other places and has the benefits of SoCal weather, proximity to snow and sea... and when it eventually opens up... Disneyland.

One of my LA relocation buyers was from West LA. The price/sf of their Irvine home was about 40% lower than a similar home would cost them in West LA so they thought Irvine was a good value. 

Not sure whether it applies to Irvine but COVID has taken away a lot of the benefits of urban living...immediate access to entertainment/dining, connections with local area/people, and proximity to jobs. 

I mean Irvine is great to live it but if you work in LA...it is still an insane commute.

It will be interesting to see if cities/urban areas change post COVID considering the coming drop in commercial real estate.

I am. People selling here will definitely be able to afford a much bigger house (not necessarily a nicer area depending on how you quantify that) but that pay cut will be more like 30-40%, not 15%, and you basically kiss any long term career growth goodbye. The whole point of being in SV is to build a network and then mine it throughout your career. Leaving negates all that.

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
OCtoSV said:

Are you in SV?  I can't imagine a 15% paycut to a 300k+ income provides a lower QoL if someone moves from SF/South Bay to Orange County.  A couple could get a newerish 4 bedroom with tons of upgrades for 1-1.4M in the OC area, pretty sure you'd have to spend double to get something close to that in the aforementioned areas.

OCtoSV said:
I am. People selling here will definitely be able to afford a much bigger house (not necessarily a nicer area depending on how you quantify that) but that pay cut will be more like 30-40%, not 15%, and you basically kiss any long term career growth goodbye. The whole point of being in SV is to build a network and then mine it throughout your career. Leaving negates all that.

OCtoSV said:

I'm in tech, and by my calculations, moving to the Bay (or the fancy parts of L.A. for that matter) and getting an equivalent house + childcare would mean I'd need a 100% increase or more in comp.  Now I know there are jobs that pay that up there, but unfortunately don't think i'm going to go land a Staff Engineer position at FB making that baller money. 

However, while there aren't near as many super high end tech jobs in OC, there are *plenty* of tech jobs that pay well enough around here that can support quite a nice newer house and two cars and all that jazz, especially if you factor in not paying for private school and everything else is a bit cheaper as well.

I was 'commuting' to Santa Clara from Irvine for my last job (living there part time, wfh part time), there's definitely an energy I miss about the bay, as well as the networking.  But every time I went and looked at houses in the sub 1.5m that didn't have an hour commute, I was sad.

OCtoSV said:

OCtoSV said:

I'm in tech, and by my calculations, moving to the Bay (or the fancy parts of L.A. for that matter) and getting an equivalent house + childcare would mean I'd need a 100% increase or more in comp.  Now I know there are jobs that pay that up there, but unfortunately don't think i'm going to go land a Staff Engineer position at FB making that baller money. 

However, while there aren't near as many super high end tech jobs in OC, there are *plenty* of tech jobs that pay well enough around here that can support quite a nice newer house and two cars and all that jazz, especially if you factor in not paying for private school and everything else is a bit cheaper as well.

I was 'commuting' to Santa Clara from Irvine for my last job (living there part time, wfh part time), there's definitely an energy I miss about the bay, as well as the networking.  But every time I went and looked at houses in the sub 1.5m that didn't have an hour commute, I was sad.

I hear many people buy in SacTown for value.

eyephone said:
OCtoSV said:

OCtoSV said:

I hear many people buy in SacTown for value.

I helped a client buy a home up in Folsom (they relocated from Irvine) a few years back and I found that town along with El Dorado Hills to be nice but it's not for everyone.

If one has a good solid job in OC that can pay for a house in Irvine no need to ever think about SV. If one wants to work in SV however it is totally pointless without living here. I sometimes wish my career had allowed me to stay in OC.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I helped a client buy a home up in Folsom (they relocated from Irvine) a few years back and I found that town along with El Dorado Hills to be nice but it's not for everyone.

You would not recognize El Dorado Hills or some parts of Folsom, lots of new developments and everything sells as soon as it's released.

Big influx of Bay area folks but also a lot of long timers leaving the area and probably CA altogether. There were a lot of resales in the past 6 to 9 months, never on the market for more than a few weeks which for the area is very fast.

TB is quoting 18 months build time for their Roseville communities, it's quite the commitment if you are relocating from the Bay.

OCtoSV said:
If one has a good solid job in OC that can pay for a house in Irvine no need to ever think about SV. If one wants to work in SV however it is totally pointless without living here. I sometimes wish my career had allowed me to stay in OC.

SV has a couple of really nice enclaves better than a lot what's in of OC.

Back