Observations from the front lines of the Irvine housing market?

FARMMMMMIE said:
Got a lot of the older vatos using the squat rack to curl... Come on homie take that crap back to 24 hour fitness by south coast

where else are you going to curl 135 on a straight bar?

qwerty said:
FARMMMMMIE said:
Got a lot of the older vatos using the squat rack to curl... Come on homie take that crap back to 24 hour fitness by south coast

I'm serious man! This cholo was curling like 25's and didn't collar his weights and nearly dropped them on me while I was DLing... He looked at me and asked why I'm DLing by the rack. 

One of the trainers came over and ask Jose why he was curling at the rack and pointed to the machines  :p

FARMMMMMIE said:
qwerty said:
FARMMMMMIE said:

I'm serious man! This cholo was curling like 25's and didn't collar his weights and nearly dropped them on me while I was DLing... He looked at me and asked why I'm DLing by the rack. 

One of the trainers came over and ask Jose why he was curling at the rack and pointed to the machines  :p

next time you see him you need to go thug life on him like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeMj3xy0P-g

I may have found the best Irvine home listing! The agent's brilliant description makes me feel so rich!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 1,212
qwerty said:
lnc said:
qwerty said:
im always trying to run away from my people. the only thing that would get me to move out of columbus square is if i started seeing hispanics in the neighborhood  :)

Does gardeners count? :)
i was going to qualify it for the gardeners, of course they dont count, where would i live?

Japan.  Remember they love qodzilla and you're going to be big in Japan.

FARMMMMMIE said:
I may have found the best Irvine home listing! The agent's brilliant description makes me feel so rich!!

LOL!  ;D Is this for real? They spelled "dessert" wrong. an entertaining listing for sure

FARM - great find.  i think that was written by the owner.  homecoin seems to be some sort of self serve MLS tool.  now they just need better pics and change the price to have more 8's to sell by end of week!

wow $95 flat fee MLS listing.  talk about a squeeze on the 3% model!
http://www2.homecoin.com/services/mls-listing/CA/Orange-County/

14w3gwi.png

what the owner wrote must be a joke. $700k is not even 1%er's house, more like their servants'. And in Silicon Valley, it can only buy 2 BR condo in the most coveted neighborhoods, if you are lucky.

rkp said:
FARM - great find.  i think that was written by the owner.  homecoin seems to be some sort of self serve MLS tool.  now they just need better pics and change the price to have more 8's to sell by end of week!

707 active listings in Redfin, total 949 if you include pending status.  So we're in a neutral market?  Lots of resale competition in my neighborhood that I noticed.  Not much movement recently, prices gonna drop soon or is everyone just waiting for BP to open?

ps9 said:
707 active listings in Redfin, total 949 if you include pending status.  So we're in a neutral market?  Lots of resale competition in my neighborhood that I noticed.  Not much movement recently, prices gonna drop soon or is everyone just waiting for BP to open?

We had 261 closings in June in Irvine so that still leaves us less 3 months of inventory (weak sellers market).  I'm seeing more and more lofty/WTF listings pop up and they are just lingering on the market (I even question if those are real sellers).  New homes seems to be selling at a decent pace so the market isn't really softening from what I see.

ps9 said:

Looks like entire OC's inventory are also up too. 

Lansner: Are homesellers anxious or eager to cash in?
Orange County homeowners are late to the party this year, with a summertime listing spree pushing the inventory of homes for sale to a 10-month high long after buying peaked in early spring.

The latest edition of Steve Thomas? ReportsOnHousing shows the supply of homes for sale rose 27 percent in the 16 weeks from April 9 to July 30. At the end of July, Orange County had 7,116 homes listed for sale, compared with 6,935 homes two weeks earlier ? an increase of 2.6 percent.

The surge in new listings comes amid a seasonal slowdown in house hunting. In the 30 days ended July 30, 2,698 homes went into escrow. That?s the lowest demand since February, and it?s down from 2,810 in the 30 days ended two weeks earlier ? a drop of 4 percent.

Eight other markets have supply increases of 40 percent or more since April 9:

? Los Alamitos, $786,000 average price: 19 listings, up 58 percent.

? Mission Viejo, $725,000 average price: 279 listings, up 57 percent.

? Dove Canyon, $960,000 average price: 28 listings, up 56 percent.

? Cypress, $624,000 average price: 70 listings, up 49 percent.

? Fullerton, $810,000 average price: 259 listings, up 45 percent.

? Ladera Ranch, $1.2 million average price: 172 listings, up 45 percent.

? Laguna Hills, $1.3 million average price: 117 listings, up 43 percent.

? Irvine, $1.2 million average price: 688 listings, up 42 percent.

By popular demand, I figured this was a long time coming. There?s been a lot of click bait articles out there that real estate, including Southern California real estate, is ?showing cracks? in various markets so I wanted to provide data on how the Irvine real estate market is performing. 

July 2018 sales were down 1% from June July 2017 but rebounded 4% from the drop of 11% in June 2018 (versus June 2017).  From a trailing 12-month perspective Irvine sales are down 2% or 47 transactions.  Inventory as of 7/31/18 increased 13% from 7/31/17 but remains 4% lower than inventory as of 7/31/16.  Based upon this data, we have 3 months of inventory using July 2018 sales and 2.66 months of inventory using the past 3 months which remains a weak seller?s market.  Inventory levels peak in July/August like I?ve mentioned in other threads.  Note that the inventory levels in the schedule are higher than what I saw when I pulled up the total active inventory in Irvine as of 7/31/18 which was 687 but I decided to use these higher figures to be conservative (the conservative CPA in me?haha).

So what does all this mean and where are we possibly heading?  Well, it?s clear that the market has cooled off a bit with an increase in inventory and a small decline in sales.  But the market cooling off isn?t necessarily a bad thing, it?ll allow for prices to flatten out and give buyers a chance to buy homes.  Properties that show well and that are prices right still go into escrow quickly and many of them with multiple offers.  The sub $1m market is doing better than the $1m+ market but ?unicorn? $1m+ properties with larger and/or view lots sell quickly as well.  This is most evident from me hearing that several home builders have increased their broker co-ops on their $1m+ homes in the past 4-6 weeks. The economy is still providing a tailwind with a strong job market, increasing wages, and a strong stock market so I don?t foresee that prices will drop in the near term.  The August data will be a good indicator if we are continuing to soften or if we are flattening out.

On the 30-year fixed interest rate loan front, we have seen rates drop from around 4.50% at the end of July to as around 4.25%-4.375%.  Rates got as high as 4.75% in July from what I heard.  Rates dripped due to heartburn due to tariff talk and the Turkish currency concerns.  Rates on 7/1 ARM loans are down to 3.25-3.50% from basically being around 4% in late July.  The FED will most likely rate their Fed Funds Rate in Sept by another 0.25% but that really has no impact on longer term mortgage rates.  I?ve been telling my clients that we?ll see 4% before we see 5% in rates so let?s see if I?ll be right.

Below are some charts for the infographics fans out there.  I?ll be updating this data every month going forward.

Chart of the Irvine sales volume since Jan. 2008

http://crmls.stats.10kresearch.com/infoserv/s-v1/f5Rk-zq8.PNG?w=800&h=600

Chart of the Irvine inventory levels since Jan. 2008

http://crmls.stats.10kresearch.com/infoserv/s-v1/f5R9-Y9X?w=800&h=600

Attachments

• Irvine Sales & Inventory Data1.xlsx
    28.2 KB · Views: 119
interesting that inventory levels were near 2013 lows just 8 months ago.  the "summer swing" in inventory (winter-summer) has just barely passed the increase we saw in 2013, so it will be fun to see when we hit the top and levels begin to decrease into this year's fall/winter.

Thank You USCT!  Who else would wake up 4 am in the Sunday morning and post this good info. :)

I'm re-post USCT's inventory level graph here, the graph of the day!

index.php

Attachments

• Irvine Inventory Level.jpg
    Irvine Inventory Level.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 690
Back