Obamacare

Absolutely true.

Is then the solution more goverment in everyone's life? I'd rather see a hospital system for ths poor where time is donated or student debt forgiven by Dr's and staff in the medical field who work x number of years in the system similar to the VA hospitals.

Reasonable quality healthcare at an affordable cost can be structured in ways other than forcing people into buying terrible insurance plans. We can do better.

Soylent Green Is People said:
Absolutely true.

Is then the solution more goverment in everyone's life? I'd rather see a hospital system for ths poor where time is donated or student debt forgiven by Dr's and staff in the medical field who work x number of years in the system similar to the VA hospitals.

Reasonable quality healthcare at an affordable cost can be structured in ways other than forcing people into buying terrible insurance plans. We can do better.

Maybe there are an alternatives but this is the compromise that could get past Congress.  Personally, I would like a single-payer system but lots of people thinks that such a system is a step from gulags. 

Would I like more care in the manner you describe..sure.  But the reality is that those steps are not going to be enough to deal with the massive healthcare access we have in this country.  All those things you talk about is in the legal field and yet the bulk of the legal work is still done by private attorneys, not non-profits.

Is the ACA perfect?  No way..but it's a step toward the better considering the state of our healthcare and insurance is getting a lot worse.  Increasing rates, lower care, higher deductibles, and more people underinsured/uninsured.  ACA helps those who don't have insurance now to obtain insurance, start promoting wellness care rather than acute care and tries to move away from the procedural-based healthcare system we currently have.

THere are lots of government sponsored/run systems out there in the world, the US should try to take the best of those and the lessons learn into implementing a system here, not pretend that everything is okay and that the ACA is a government plot to take over everyone's lives.

For all those who criticize the ACA, I still have not heard any alternatives.

i went into the CA site to select a plan, it would cost me $1,000/month (a platinum plan) that is not even as good as what i have now through work.  wasnt this supposed to be affordable? the lower cost plans dont cover shit.

has anyone else gone in there to try to pick a plan?

qwerty said:
i went into the CA site to select a plan, it would cost me $1,000/month (a platinum plan) that is not even as good as what i have now through work.  wasnt this supposed to be affordable? the lower cost plans dont cover shit.

I have no idea what you are picking but my estimate came out to $788 for my family of 3.  Platinum plans also has no deductibles and with a $4,000/$8,000 max out of pocket.

What kinda of plan do you have now?

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

I have no idea what you are picking but my estimate came out to $788 for my family of 3.  Platinum plans also has no deductibles and with a $4,000/$8,000 max out of pocket.

my plan, as long as i stay in network (PPO), there is no deductible or out of pocket maximum that that needs to be reached. all i have to pay are the standard $20 copays. all of the plans offered on the CA site are inferior to what i have now through work. so i picked the best plan to get a sense of the cost.

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

my plan, as long as i stay in network (PPO), there is no deductible or out of pocket maximum that that needs to be reached. all i have to pay are the standard $20 copays. all of the plans offered on the CA site are inferior to what i have now through work. so i picked the best plan to get a sense of the cost.

I'm going to say that your plan is the rare exception.  There are deductible and out of pocket maximum for most people's plan and certainly in the open market prior to the ACA. 

My premium under the ACA is about $320...this plan costs $303 now and is about the same coverage level

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/ifp/plan-details?planKey=9001:200004&productLine=IFP

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

I'm going to say that your plan is the rare exception.  There are deductible and out of pocket maximum for most people's plan and certainly in the open market prior to the ACA. 

My premium under the ACA is about $320...this plan costs $303 now and is about the same coverage level

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/ifp/plan-details?planKey=9001:200004&productLine=IFP

yeah my company offers very good benefits.

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

yeah my company offers very good benefits, whenever i switch jobs im sure ill have a crappier plan than i have now.

Tyler Durden said:

The real question is what are the rates next year, for 2015.  You had a lot of very aggressive bidding by insurers with very small, very limited networks.  If they manage it well, it'll be a great boon. If they don't next year could be a shock.

The operative question really is: Next year will Kaiser's bid be what Kaiser bid or will it come down?

I hope the small guys manage their network well, for the first time you can effectively compare coverage from one carrier to another.

As you may have heard the Administration has called in computer experts to fix the problems with the healthcare website....so relax! They Are On It!!

1378334_10202349996138944_1226663800_n.jpg

Credit: Radio Host Dan Neely

SoCal said:
As you may have heard the Administration has called in computer experts to fix the problems with the healthcare website....so relax! They Are On It!!

Now they bring in the experts?

liberal-logic-101-537.jpg

Back