Obamacare

irvinehomeowner

I realize this is a hot button... but I figure it needs its own thread.

Yesterday was the first day people could sign up for it and unfortunately, the website/servers couldn't handle the traffic.

Typical government efficiency at work... or not at work now.

1385828_10153292256540494_1558508738_n.png

Tyler Durden said:
you can demand all you want... where is the supply?

For example:

I demand the jackass lawyers in the District get back to work and earn their paycheck... too bad they won't supply us with a working government.

Doesn't the free market dictate that the more demand there is, the market will either find more supply or alternatives?  More nurse practitioners and/or Physician assistants for example.

What...not a believer in free market?

Tyler Durden said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Tyler Durden said:
you can demand all you want... where is the supply?

For example:

I demand the jackass lawyers in the District get back to work and earn their paycheck... too bad they won't supply us with a working government.

Doesn't the free market dictate that the more demand there is, the market will either find more supply or alternatives?  More nurse practitioners and/or Physician assistants for example.

What...not a believer in free market?

As you haven't passed macroeconomics, i'll help you here.  Supply only meets demand when there are no constraints (which there are - not enough eligible candidates) as well as price in the market being able to match the quantity demanded.  If the price will not rise to meet the high demand, there is no incentive for suppliers to produce more units (e.g. candidates).  The only solution is to have other suppliers enter the market - more foreign doctors on H1B visas.

Since those Visas are tightly controlled by the government, good luck in getting that to change.  All the efforts of the tech industry couldn't do it.

Either way, you are living in fantasy land if you feel that the situation will correct itself overnight.

Never said it was going to correct itself overnight...but why would supply increase by itself but for an increase in demand.  Demand usually goes before supply.

80% of Emergency Room visits are uninsured.  Pregnant women show up basically crowning to have their kid to the ER, because they're uninsured.

Shall we let them die in the streets?

Then how about we get them out of one of the most expensive treatment points and into treatment points that lower expenses?

You can ration health care anyway you want.    You can do it be excluding anyone that has become sick and cannot continue to pay exorbitant premium and being very expensive, or you can do it by introducing longer waits, like the UK.

Either way, you're rationing it and with our previous system just playing medical bankruptcy lotto.

I thought that the ER was required to treat people regardless of their insurance situation.

Wasn't this one of the fallacies regarding the current healthcare system?

irvinehomeowner said:
I thought that the ER was required to treat people regardless of their insurance situation.

Wasn't this one of the fallacies regarding the current healthcare system?

Yes, ERs are required to treat people regardless of their situation ( I think the operative word is 'life threatening'). Hence, people that aren't insured show up to the ER to get treatment where they then do not have to pay and nobody tries to collect because they know it's a waste of time. 

Your bill, when you go in with insurance, is just 5X what it should be since they need to make up the cost of the other 4 people they have to treat that don't have insurance.

Tyler Durden said:
Not really...

Does the supply of petroleum increase just because more people are demanding to drive?
Yup. There is oil that is costly to extract that becomes profitable as demand for oil rises causes prices to rise.

Does the supply of fresh water increase because there is more demand for bottled water?
Yup. They are building salt water desalination plants in So Cal to increase supply of fresh water. The plants will only be profitable if the price of water doubles over the next 10 years (which is expected due to supply/demand)

Does the supply of fish in the ocean increase because there are more people demanding chilean sea bass?
Most likely. They could raise their own chilean sea bass or find a way to increase their reproduction / protect them from predators, etc.

Back