Obamacare on Life Support article

Perspective said:
Chaffetz: Americans may need to choose between iPhone or healthcare
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...en-iphone-or-healthcare/ar-AAnYJFT?li=BBnb7Kz

While I agree with the general principle here Chaffetz is making (excuse me while I clear the vomit in my throat  :-[), the consequences of your bad choices are rarely limited to negative results accruing solely to you.

Completely agree with you. Everyone has seen people that drive nice cars, own iPhone, wear designer labels while they work at McDs. A lot of these people are the ones for whom we pay for healthcare as a society, we pay for their kids lunch meals at schools, in addition to after school and before school care. This is covered by government taxation.

Now if this person doesn't have health insurance (ACA repeal and individual mandate) and rushes to the ER or rushes their family for any ailment, the hospital will eventually pass the cost on to the insurance companies (bundle with other patients) and the insurance companies pass it along to us. Essentially private taxation by the insurance companies.

The motivation of ACA was sound but implementation with a whole bunch of regulations not well thought out was what caused some insurance carriers to change plans, suspend plans in certain states, etc. Providing options affordable universal healthcare requires making some drastic changes, including tort reform, sharing records between companies / providers and more.

The problems mentioned above are not easy to iron out with the partisan atmosphere in Washington, but we need a healthy debate on some root problems before we have alternatives to ACA or if we are to provide affordable healthcare to all.

So I think a big question is.. for the people under Obamacare.. how much time would they get on their existing subsidy if any.. wonder if they just pull the rug right away or give them a year.  This would be a big issue for republicans come voting time.  In particular, the older people from ages 55-65. 

Everyone has seen people that drive nice cars, own iPhone, wear designer labels while they work at McDs

Really? How do they manage that?  Are they the ones dealing drugs through the drive through window? Or did they just steal someone's nice car.  Maybe their parents bought it for them. Or maybe McDs pays more than I never knew.

A lot of these people are the ones for whom we pay for healthcare as a society

That would be true not only of McD's employees but also their customers. There should be a 100% tax on anything they sell to subsidize the health care in this country. Same goes for all junkfood, sugary drinks and alcohol.

Perspective said:
House GOP health bill adds up to big tax cut for the richhttps://www.yahoo.com/news/house-gop-health-bill-adds-big-tax-cut-192341206--politics.html

Thanks GOP! I'm sure this, and the tax reform plan, will somehow, indirectly, help middle class rural Americans, but who cares? I'm gettin' mine!

Wow that's a hack job of a article.  Class warfare bias blatant.  At least the author was smart enough to remove the complaint that 70% of the benefit goes tonthevwealthiestvAmericans.  Prior articles made that claim then accidentally pointed out that the 70% was anyone making over $100k AGI.

Egads, 90% of a repealed tax goes to the "rich". Oh wait, only the "Rich" paid it.

Loco_local said:
Everyone has seen people that drive nice cars, own iPhone, wear designer labels while they work at McDs

Really? How do they manage that?  Are they the ones dealing drugs through the drive through window? Or did they just steal someone's nice car.  Maybe their parents bought it for them. Or maybe McDs pays more than I never knew.

It seems you live in a bubble. Most people in living in Irvine don't fall in this category, but that doesn't change the reality of other areas.

My wife works at school in a low income neighborhood where parents come to drop off their kids in a Cadillac Escalade and their kids in elementary schools have iPhones but when asked to buy books or supplies for their kids they can't spare a dime. They can't even come to parent / teacher meetings because their "work" will not let them.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about McD employees. I can honestly say I have no idea what they wear ouside of work or what kind of phone they use or what kind of car they drive, but I would be surprised if it were an Escalade (even if they had a rich spouse or relative).  But you're right, I do live in a bubble.

HomeOwner Irvine said:
Loco_local said:

It seems you live in a bubble. Most people in living in Irvine don't fall in this category, but that doesn't change the reality of other areas.

My wife works at school in a low income neighborhood where parents come to drop off their kids in a Cadillac Escalade and their kids in elementary schools have iPhones but when asked to buy books or supplies for their kids they can't spare a dime. They can't even come to parent / teacher meetings because their "work" will not let them.

I don't think this proves that they work at McDs.. but those parents obviously would rather spend money on iphones than to donate to the classrooms. 

nosuchreality said:
Perspective said:
House GOP health bill adds up to big tax cut for the richhttps://www.yahoo.com/news/house-gop-health-bill-adds-big-tax-cut-192341206--politics.html

Thanks GOP! I'm sure this, and the tax reform plan, will somehow, indirectly, help middle class rural Americans, but who cares? I'm gettin' mine!

Wow that's a hack job of a article.  Class warfare bias blatant.  At least the author was smart enough to remove the complaint that 70% of the benefit goes tonthevwealthiestvAmericans.  Prior articles made that claim then accidentally pointed out that the 70% was anyone making over $100k AGI.

Egads, 90% of a repealed tax goes to the "rich". Oh wait, only the "Rich" paid it.

I see your point. I don't know if I'd call it a hack job or class warfare. The article goes into great detail about the tax cuts. I guess you can question the title.

As for your last point, that's also mostly true about federal income taxes. Families making near the median income in the US don't pay much, if any, federal income tax. Which begs the question, how can Trump's tax plan be a great tax cut for the middle class, as advertised?

Looks like we will be getting the "World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017". I'm looking forward to seeing Trump's promise of ?We?re going to have insurance for everybody,? that is going to be "less expensive and much better.? Where premiums will only go down, everyone will get to keep their doctors and no hospitals will be shutting down. I'm also looking forward to the lengthy debates that will happen in Congress to go over all the merits of this bill.

Perspective said:
nosuchreality said:
Perspective said:

I see your point. I don't know if I'd call it a hack job or class warfare. The article goes into great detail about the tax cuts. I guess you can question the title.

As for your last point, that's also mostly true about federal income taxes. Families making near the median income in the US don't pay much, if any, federal income tax. Which begs the question, how can Trump's tax plan be a great tax cut for the middle class, as advertised?

According to CNN, middle class income for the OC in 2016 was up to 147,654 (after your 401K deductions). And old people can take a whole lot of 401K catchup deductions and be considered middle class.

Are you saying those making $147,654 (after their 401K deductions) aren't going to get a nice tax cut?

I know if he raises the standard deduction as much as he wants to, he can do whatever he wants with every other deduction and I'm getting a big fat cut and I'm happy.

peppy said:
Looks like we will be getting the "World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017". I'm looking forward to seeing Trump's promise of ?We?re going to have insurance for everybody,? that is going to be "less expensive and much better.? Where premiums will only go down, everyone will get to keep their doctors and no hospitals will be shutting down. I'm also looking forward to the lengthy debates that will happen in Congress to go over all the merits of this bill.

Truth and facts matter not. It only matters how people feel. People will feel better once this horrible collapsing travesty ObamaCare is "repealed" as promised.

I'm saying the US household median income is near $50K, and a married family of four making $50K pays little to no federal income tax today.

Ready2Downsize said:
Perspective said:
nosuchreality said:
Perspective said:

According to CNN, middle class income for the OC in 2016 was up to 147,654 (after your 401K deductions). And old people can take a whole lot of 401K catchup deductions and be considered middle class.

Are you saying those making $147,654 (after their 401K deductions) aren't going to get a nice tax cut?

I know if he raises the standard deduction as much as he wants to, he can do whatever he wants with every other deduction and I'm getting a big fat cut and I'm happy.

Getting rid of AMT would take a nice bite out of it too. I think for married + 2 it doesn't change that much in terms of standard deduction. Effective tax rate should go down a tiny bit if you are in the ~150K range. For a dual income family making $200k-400k it seems that they can expect only a minimal change/possibly slightly worse. Of course, this all comes with a gaping hole in the federal budget.

A dual-income household in the $200K-$500K annual "income" range (salaries, bonuses, vesting shares, investment sales, etc.) would pay thousands less in federal income taxes if the ACA additional Medicare Tax and the Net Investment Income Tax are repealed.

If additionally, the mortgage interest deduction remains, rates are lowered, and the AMT is eliminated, this household would pay tens of thousands less in federal income taxes.

Let's get this done!

Perspective said:
I'm saying the US household median income is near $50K, and a married family of four making $50K pays little to no federal income tax today.

With standard deduction, no IRA, no 401K, not other deduction, just $50K gross W2, after child tax credit, their federal tax bill is $1756.

At $100,000, standard deduction, no other decreases to their AGI such as a 401K or IRA, they pay $7756 after child tax credit

Perspective said:

Dishonest?  Lying with statistics?  Misrepresenting a fact?  Alternative fact?

It's out of context fact that's misrepresented at best..  90% of the repealed ACA tax goes to people over $700K.  Of course, those people paid 90% of the tax.  The "poor" aren't getting benefit of the tax cut, because they didn't pay the tax.  The implication of the article is the "poor" are getting screwed by not getting the tax cut benefit for a tax they pay zero on.

The over used fake news claim means that article.  The dem seem to want to pretend their news is honest when it's like the linked article.

It was like watching the 3 minute piece this morning on NBC Today about the threats against the Jewish centers, two and half minutes of alarmist images of jewish center and school evacuating, a 3 second blurb on the St Louis guy being charged followed by a disclaimer that he did it to discredit an ex and only was identified for few and the FBI still searching.   

IMO, the Today show is becoming as unwatchable as Fox News.

Back