Obamacare on Life Support article

Ready2Downsize said:
"Do you really want to dramatically reduce healthcare access to your key constituents? This does not sound like a successful electoral strategy".

How would you feel if I suddenly were to be ineligible to qualify for MED-I-CAL (Medicaid)?

All I need to do is have my hubby decide to retire. We have plenty of cash in the bank to last a lifetime including money to pay for healthcare and a house that is free and clear complete with reduced property taxes but with OBAMACARE the asset test was eliminated. I can have a kazillion bucks in the bank with which to draw on and get Medicaid or a very large subsidy if I decide to get another plan other than medicaid on your dime and travel.

Boo hoo! I might lose that option because of Trump!

So you are justifying cuts of $880bn/decade in Medicaid for the sake of implementing an "asset test"?

One flaw should not doom the whole thing. You could apply that same extreme cynicism on a number of other things. Why pay for police if they do not catch all the criminals? Why pay taxes if there are some that don't pay? Why required licensed doctors to provide medical care if there are charlatans in the field? Why send your kids to schools when there are some children that don't get anything out of it? Why live if you are going to die anyways?

Perspective said:
nosuchreality said:
It's not too late to call your Rep.  They do answer the phone.  Although it may take 3 or 4 tries.

Has Mimi Walters shared publicly her position on this bill?

She had the courage to vote for ACA repeal bills in the past when the bill couldn't become actual law. Does she have similar courage today to vote for these modifications of ACA?
https://walters.house.gov/media-cen...-walters-reconciliation-bill-repeal-obamacare

I'm pretty sure she is a guaranteed YES on this one.

peppy said:
Perspective said:
nosuchreality said:
It's not too late to call your Rep.  They do answer the phone.  Although it may take 3 or 4 tries.

She had the courage to vote for ACA repeal bills in the past when the bill couldn't become actual law. Does she have similar courage today to vote for these modifications of ACA?
https://walters.house.gov/media-cen...-walters-reconciliation-bill-repeal-obamacare

All the more reason to voice your no to her.

Perspective said:
nosuchreality said:

Btw - you can call more people, they don't ask for your address

I believe sometimes they ask for your name, but you don't have to give it.

nosuchreality said:
peppy said:
Perspective said:
nosuchreality said:

All the more reason to voice your no to her.

But I'm conflicted on this issue. As a matter of public policy, and what's good for the entire country, rather than my self interest, I want this bill defeated as it stands today.

As a matter of politics, I very much want this bill passed in any form being discussed. The Right would subsequently completely own every real and perceived negative healthcare issue going forward. They would also own the loss of healthcare access for possibly tens of millions of Americans, disproportionately affecting folks who voted for Trump overwhelmingly.

peppy said:
Ready2Downsize said:
"Do you really want to dramatically reduce healthcare access to your key constituents? This does not sound like a successful electoral strategy".

How would you feel if I suddenly were to be ineligible to qualify for MED-I-CAL (Medicaid)?

All I need to do is have my hubby decide to retire. We have plenty of cash in the bank to last a lifetime including money to pay for healthcare and a house that is free and clear complete with reduced property taxes but with OBAMACARE the asset test was eliminated. I can have a kazillion bucks in the bank with which to draw on and get Medicaid or a very large subsidy if I decide to get another plan other than medicaid on your dime and travel.

Boo hoo! I might lose that option because of Trump!

So you are justifying cuts of $880bn/decade in Medicaid for the sake of implementing an "asset test"?

One flaw should not doom the whole thing. You could apply that same extreme cynicism on a number of other things. Why pay for police if they do not catch all the criminals? Why pay taxes if there are some that don't pay? Why required licensed doctors to provide medical care if there are charlatans in the field? Why send your kids to schools when there are some children that don't get anything out of it? Why live if you are going to die anyways?

It is wrong to allow someone such as myself who has two able bodied people with enough in retirement accounts alone to completely provide enough money for our lives including health care and double that sitting in a bank savings account plus money in stocks, someone who regularly gives their kids cash for no reason other than it's piling up the ability to just quit work and qualify for welfare and make no mistake, Medicaid is welfare.

Obamacare made that possible.

Not only that, but most states (California being one of them) have eliminated asset tests for SNAP (food stamps) and rely only on income so again someone such as myself and my hubby could decide we are sick of paying taxes and it's time we collected like so many others. For most people, $350 per month for two people isn't enough to cover their grocery bill but for us I don't know what I'd spend that all on thanks to buying on sale and cooking at home. Again, wrong to let me collect SNAP but should my hubby decide to quit work, I'm pretty sure we'll get that too (and reduced utilities).

Meanwhile there are people who work and pay a whole lot in taxes to fund someone like me to sit and collect what shouldn't be just handed out.

This isn't to say I'm planning on doing such a thing but it's flat out wrong and we can't afford to just be hand out nation.

morekaos said:
Wadda ya think the odds are of a deal today? In one form or another I bet it gets done.

Who knows. Nobody's being honest about their true position on this bill. Most Republicans campaigned heavily on how horrible ObamaCare was, and how it desperately needed to be repealed, blaming it for every healthcare issue. How do you vote for anything other than a full repeal bill in this context?

Days not over...just a friendly bet no big deal or fail to me.

Attachments

• 2017-03-23.jpg
    2017-03-23.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 117
Huh? The "day is over" as far as this Trump promised deadline/vote is concerned. Trump failed on another promise. Of course, maybe this failed vote is actually success, because it prevents a bill from proceeding that breaches multiple promises Trump made on healthcare reform. Spin it Trump!

Trump Has No Good Options On Health Care
And it?s his own fault.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-has-no-good-options-on-health-care/

They adopted a bill that predictably got a miserable score from the Congressional Budget Office. And for years, they?ve made all sorts of promises to voters on health care that they knew they couldn?t keep.

Health care policy isn?t easy even under the best conditions. But Trump has misplayed his hand from the start.

Or he lets it collapse on itself, like its going to anyway.  Backup plan will work too. Move on and wait.

Trump has a secret backup plan to kill Obamacare. It?s actually brilliant.

If the GOP repeal drive does fail in Congress, Trump has a secret, backup plan to kill the Affordable Care Act. And it?s actually a pretty good plan, if you view it from the point of view of Trump and many Republicans.

In an Oval Office meeting featuring several leaders of conservative groups already lining up against the House Republican plan to repeal and replace Obamacare, President Donald Trump revealed his plan in the event the GOP effort fails: Allow Obamcare to fail and let Democrats take the blame, sources at the gathering told CNN.

If you think about it, this actually makes sense. If the law survives, Trump can spend the next couple of years claiming that it is collapsing all around us ? or rather that it continues to collapse, since it is already collapsing as we speak. And Republican voters will of course believe that this is the case, since it is an unshakable truism for them that the law has already failed in spectacular fashion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/03/09/trump-has-a-secret-backup-plan-to-kill-obamacare-its-actually-brilliant/?utm_term=.735d361af202

This is simplistic and silly political rhetoric that you're regurgitating. "ObamaCare" is complex, and much more than just the private healthcare exchanges from which a small portion (< 10%) of the public purchases healthcare insurance.

Once again, if it so so horrible, catastrophic, and collapsing, why isn't this bill a simple repeal bill that has been promised for years? When Republicans repeat the mantra "ObamaCare is collapsing," presumably they're referring to the rising costs and departing carriers in many state private healthcare exchanges. There are things that can be done to improve these issues. The Democrats have been open to change. They're not denying these problems.

I do agree, that the best result for Trump politically, is for this bill to die quickly today, and for him to move on. He can blame the Swamp, suggest he never liked the bill anyway, and continue to blame every healthcare ill on the Evil ObamaCare.

Don't confuse this "best result" with "success." This bill's death would give Democrats plenty of ammo for hyperbolic political rhetoric. The bill will always, whether it passes or not, give Democrats abundant evidence of Trump's broken promises on healthcare.

The "Freedom" Caucus ("freedom" is in quotes because they want government out of your lives on many issues, but still want government intruding on many other issues) reportedly is pushing a change to the bill that would actually lower healthcare insurance costs in the non-employer-provided insurance market.

They want the prohibition on using pre-existing conditions as a legitimate reason to decline coverage, eliminated. Now that would certainly lower healthcare costs in the non-employer-provided healthcare insurance market. This has consequences though...

LOL, if they fail to repeal and replacement and then let ACA fail and collapse, they'll get slaughtered.

They'll blame ACA, but people want the basics of ACA and they will have failed to either fix it or replace it with something better.

Back