Midterm Elections

I don't get the outrage over the gas tax. It's not tied to inflation right? Just a fixed cost per gallon?

So in reality, the 'raise' is just bringing it to match up with inflation. Seems like a politically suicidal setup. Why not just tie it to the CPI or some other metric of inflation?

Or find another way to fund it. I assume the outraged folks want it covered by state income tax or something? I'd prefer abolishing gas tax and converting all freeways to tolls. Tolls not only distribute the cost to those that actually use the resource like the gas tax, but also reduce congestion.

Let me know if I'm wrong here.

inv0ke-epipen said:
I don't get the outrage over the gas tax. It's not tied to inflation right? Just a fixed cost per gallon?

So in reality, the 'raise' is just bringing it to match up with inflation. Seems like a politically suicidal setup. Why not just tie it to the CPI or some other metric of inflation?

Or find another way to fund it. I assume the outraged folks want it covered by state income tax or something? I'd prefer abolishing gas tax and converting all freeways to tolls. Tolls not only distribute the cost to those that actually use the resource like the gas tax, but also reduce congestion.

Tolls for all freeways?

Liar Loan said:
This bodes well for November...

California Sen. Josh Newman seems headed for removal from office for supporting higher gas taxhttp://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-josh-newman-recall-20180605-story.html

The state Republican Party targeted Newman over his support last year for Senate Bill 1, which increased the gas tax and vehicle fees to pay for road and bridge repairs and mass transit improvements.

Newman was one of 81 legislators who backed the measure, but Republicans sought to tap voter discontent over the higher levies in this district, a longtime GOP stronghold previously represented by termed-out Republican Sen. Bob Huff.

The election was also a proxy battle between the state?s Democratic and Republican parties and a new Republican representative will hurt Democrats? ability to regain a supermajority in the state Legislature.

Carl DeMaio, a former member of the San Diego City Council who organized the recall, has said Newman was selected for a recall because of his narrow victory over Chang, a former Assemblywoman. Newman won that race by fewer than 2,500 votes out of nearly 318,000 cast.

DeMaio has called the move to target Newman the ?gazelle strategy,? which focuses on seemingly vulnerable Democrats.

Recalls are rare in California. Just five elected officials have been recalled since 1913.

Democratic leaders, including Gov. Jerry Brown, helped raise more than $4 million to fight Newman?s recall. Also, the Senate Democratic Caucus allowed the state Fair Political Practices Commission to lift a $4,400 cap on contributions to Newman's anti-recall campaign from other senators.

The Democrats even tried to cheat and they still lost..  Doh!

The Dems have been f'n this state up for way too long.

Liar Loan said:

California Sen. Josh Newman seems headed for removal from office for supporting higher gas taxhttp://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-josh-newman-recall-20180605-story.html

The state Republican Party targeted Newman over his support last year for Senate Bill 1, which increased the gas tax and vehicle fees to pay for road and bridge repairs and mass transit improvements.

Newman was one of 81 legislators who backed the measure, but Republicans sought to tap voter discontent over the higher levies in this district, a longtime GOP stronghold previously represented by termed-out Republican Sen. Bob Huff.

The election was also a proxy battle between the state?s Democratic and Republican parties and a new Republican representative will hurt Democrats? ability to regain a supermajority in the state Legislature.

Carl DeMaio, a former member of the San Diego City Council who organized the recall, has said Newman was selected for a recall because of his narrow victory over Chang, a former Assemblywoman. Newman won that race by fewer than 2,500 votes out of nearly 318,000 cast.

DeMaio has called the move to target Newman the ?gazelle strategy,? which focuses on seemingly vulnerable Democrats.

Recalls are rare in California. Just five elected officials have been recalled since 1913.

Democratic leaders, including Gov. Jerry Brown, helped raise more than $4 million to fight Newman?s recall. Also, the Senate Democratic Caucus allowed the state Fair Political Practices Commission to lift a $4,400 cap on contributions to Newman's anti-recall campaign from other senators.

You mean pardon yourself? Even if you didn?t do nothing.

Come on bro!

eyephone said:
inv0ke-epipen said:

Tolls for all freeways?

In place of gas tax, tolls seem like an effective way to fund roads, while also reducing congestion.

inv0ke-epipen said:
eyephone said:
inv0ke-epipen said:

Tolls for all freeways?

In place of gas tax, tolls seem like an effective way to fund roads, while also reducing congestion.

That's just going to shift the congestion from the freeways to the surface streets.

paydawg said:
Liar Loan said:

Yeah...the state is so screwed up.  Let's see how that Libertarian/GOP dream world of Kansas is doing?

My_Alter_Ego said:
inv0ke-epipen said:
eyephone said:
inv0ke-epipen said:

Tolls for all freeways?

That's just going to shift the congestion from the freeways to the surface streets.
Yeah that's a major downside, especially for Irvine's major thoroughfares.  But at least you'll be able to hop on the freeway congestion free. Curious to see how the 405 express lanes work out.

Interestingly we do have a major party locked out of a major seat.  There will be no Republican on California's senate election this year.

Kings said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Compressed-Village said:
eyephone said:
Trump administration 2.0 the members are clashing with each other.

?Bolton sidelined as Trump readies for North Korea?https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...orth-korea-john-bolton-mike-pompeo/index.html

Yah, the ever revolving doors. 1 in and 1 out.

Can't wait until Trump brings back Kissinger.

Just when you things are weird. It just got weirder.
The rumor is that Dennis Rodman will attend the Trump Kim summit.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...p-kim-jong-un-summit-singapore-210038659.html

kim wants rodman there in case trump tries to dunk on him

They should remake the coin and have Dennis Rodman on the other side of the coin.

Who knows maybe Kanye might also show up. Lol

nosuchreality said:
Interestingly we do have a major party locked out of a major seat.  There will be no Republican on California's senate election this year.

Her seat wasn't competitive anyway, so no big loss.

Liar Loan said:
nosuchreality said:

don't think we had any in 2016 either, right?

Kings said:
Liar Loan said:
nosuchreality said:

Correct.  Kamala Harris faced Loretta Sanchez.  Not that there's a dimes worth of difference between them, but I voted for Loretta Sanchez because she showed principled opposition to the Iraq War back when that would get you called 'unpatriotic'.  Also being from OC, that could have marginally helped us to have a Senator from our backyard.

Irvinecommuter said:
paydawg said:
Liar Loan said:

Yeah...the state is so screwed up.  Let's see how that Libertarian/GOP dream world of Kansas is doing?

Have you ever been to Kansas?  I have family that just moved there (KC) because they could buy a 3,500 sq ft house in a prestigious golf neighborhood on a college professor's salary, while the other spouse stays at home.  Prior to that, my relative lived in a family property on the Balboa Peninsula.  Apparently, Kansas is paradise in their eyes.

Liar Loan said:
Have you ever been to Kansas?  I have family that just moved there (KC) because they could buy a 3,500 sq ft house in a prestigious golf neighborhood on a college professor's salary, while the other spouse stays at home.  Prior to that, my relative lived in a family property on the Balboa Peninsula.  Apparently, Kansas is paradise in their eyes.

It just means no one wants to live there. 

Liar Loan said:
Kings said:
Liar Loan said:
nosuchreality said:

Correct.  Kamala Harris faced Loretta Sanchez.  Not that there's a dimes worth of difference between them, but I voted for Loretta Sanchez because she showed principled opposition to the Iraq War back when that would get you called 'unpatriotic'.  Also being from OC, that could have marginally helped us to have a Senator from our backyard.

I voted for Sanchez for the entertainment factor...she Crae Crae!
https://youtu.be/1uuyTggFWYc

Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:

Uh huh... and their population growth exceeds OC's as a result.

Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:

Uh huh... and their population growth exceeds OC's as a result.

Yes and Trump is the second coming of Christ in the eyes of many MAGA-vangelicals.  Doesn't mean its true

Kanas really ? what a joke.  Had someone picked Texas or Tennessee, could have made a better case atleast

Back