Midterm Elections

Happiness said:
Who cares what Merkel, Macron, and the Liberals think. Whatever Trump does, they will be outraged. I say just tune them out like with noise cancelling headphones and continue full speed ahead!

Yeah.  Pay no attention to that thumping that the GOP just got in 2018.  FULL SPEED AHEAD!

Now for a good chuckle :) 

LOL

Sen. Mitch McConnell: Will Dems work with us, or simply put partisan politics ahead of the country?

Irvinecommuter said:
inv0ke-epipen said:
From that article: ?Some will quickly point out that President Macron and Chancellor Merkel attended the ceremony, but Trump didn't. Moving either of those dignitaries is not the same as moving the President of The United States. Neither is moving White House Chief Of Staff John Kelly or Chairman Joint Chief's Of Staff General Joseph Dunford, both of which attended the ceremony. The massive footprint of the security and administrative apparatus that follows the American President around dwarfs anything else like it on the planet, much of which isn't even visible to the casual onlooker. We can argue the merits of the tactics and procedures that go into these operations, but as it sits today, this is how the POTUS moves about and Trump is no different than Obama in this regard. ?

I?m not saying to pull punches, i?m saying don?t punch things that don?t deserve to be punched.

It?s like the school bully is terrorizing the school, and you punch him,great look,  but when you also wander into the special  ed class and punch the kid with Down syndrome suddenly not so great look

I read the article...author provided absolutely no basis for that statement and he also stated that most of the protection is unseen.  Secret service planned this trip for a long time and they knew about the weather.  They would have had plans and contingencies.  Only reason why Trump didn't go is because he did not want to.

I disagree regarding the "punching".  The optics of the whole things is terrible and there is just no good explanation.  Ask how the veterans and military folks how they see it.

We all know what happened here - sometimes the most obvious answer is the right answer

?On Saturday morning, Trump skipped attending a rain-soaked ceremony at the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery to honor the Battle of Belleau Wood. When his absence became a scandal, the White House said the decision had been made because Marine One reportedly could not fly in the rain, and Secret Service did not want Trump traveling by motorcade. One Republican briefed on the internal discussions said the real reason Trump did not want to go was because there would be no tent to stand under. ?He was worried his hair was going to get messed up in the rain,? the source said. ?[John] Bolton and everyone was telling him this was a big mistake.? A former administration official said Trump hates being outside in wet conditions. ?What I honestly think? He woke up and said, ?It?s pouring rain. This is a joke and I?m not doing this.??

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/11/trumps-post-midterms-blues-roil-the-white-house/amp?utm_source=twitter&utm_social-type=owned&utm_brand=vf&mbid=social_twitter&utm_medium=social&__twitter_impression=true

Presidents (both sides) do this all the time...who cares?

Obama hands out plum ambassador posts to big campaign donors

Internal financial documents obtained by The New York Times suggest the price per post is also at an all-time high, although apples-to-apples comparisons aren?t possible because precise figures aren?t available for previous administrations.

The amounts raised by the eight bundlers in 2011-2012 ranged from $2.36 million by Women for Obama Finance Chairwoman Denise Bauer to $477,000 from Los Angeles entertainment attorney and Michelle Obama Princeton classmate Crystal Nix Hines. The two women have been named to serve as ambassadors to Belgium and UNESCO, respectively, while other bundlers have been tapped for service in the United Kingdom, Germany, Spain, the Dominican Republic, Singapore and Austria.

Another bundler, Democratic National Committee National Finance Chairwoman Jane Stetson, is rumored to be in line for the top diplomatic post in Paris, perhaps the most prestigious ambassadorial position of them all. Stetson raised $2.43 million for Obama.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/311197-donors-get-19-top-jobs-at-embassies

He ran on a campaign to drain the swamp. In actuality, he made the swamp more polluted.

morekaos said:

Internal financial documents obtained by The New York Times suggest the price per post is also at an all-time high, although apples-to-apples comparisons aren?t possible because precise figures aren?t available for previous administrations.

The amounts raised by the eight bundlers in 2011-2012 ranged from $2.36 million by Women for Obama Finance Chairwoman Denise Bauer to $477,000 from Los Angeles entertainment attorney and Michelle Obama Princeton classmate Crystal Nix Hines. The two women have been named to serve as ambassadors to Belgium and UNESCO, respectively, while other bundlers have been tapped for service in the United Kingdom, Germany, Spain, the Dominican Republic, Singapore and Austria.

Another bundler, Democratic National Committee National Finance Chairwoman Jane Stetson, is rumored to be in line for the top diplomatic post in Paris, perhaps the most prestigious ambassadorial position of them all. Stetson raised $2.43 million for Obama.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/311197-donors-get-19-top-jobs-at-embassies

eyephone said:
He ran on a campaign to drain the swamp. In actuality, he made the swamp more polluted.

morekaos said:

I don't care that much about ambassadorship.  I do care a lot about cabinet position and Trump has basically sold all the cabinet positions to corporate interests.  Go read Michael Lewis' Fifth Risk.

To be fair, it is classic GOP.  Cripple and underfund government agencies, claim that government doesn't work, and then replace everything with corporations.  Jails, schools, military, healthcare...

Is this a pattern? There is a pending lawsuit regarding his hotel.

?As far back as Jan. 2017, Trump's legal team has pushed back against emoluments concerns. "Paying for a hotel room is not a gift or a present, and it has nothing to do with an office," Trump lawyer Sheri Dillon said before the president's inauguration.

The lawsuit claims Trump violated two different clauses in the constitution, known as emoluments clauses: one that forbids federal government officials from accepting gifts from foreign government officials, and another that says the president may not accept benefits from state governments.?
https://www.npr.org/2018/11/03/663933067/emoluments-lawsuit-against-trump-can-go-forward-judge-says

fortune11 said:
Now for a good chuckle :) 

LOL

Sen. Mitch McConnell: Will Dems work with us, or simply put partisan politics ahead of the country?

So bipartisan.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell blocked two senators from bringing up legislation to protect Special Counsel Robert Mueller?s investigation from any efforts by the Trump administration to thwart it.

Republican Senator Jeff Flake and Democrat Chris Coons had said they would push the measure after President Donald Trump fired Attorney General Jeff Sessions and tossed out more than a century of precedent to name Sessions chief of staff Matt Whitaker as acting attorney general. Before joining Sessions?s staff, Whitaker had sharply criticized the Mueller probe and described on television how a future acting attorney general could undermine it.

Flake, who is retiring at the end of this year, said following McConnell?s objection that he and Coons will try "again and again" to bring the measure to the floor. Flake said he will refuse to advance any judicial nominees in the Judiciary Committee or confirm any judges on the Senate floor until the Mueller bill is brought to the floor for a vote.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-senate-bill-protecting-mueller-investigation

Dang it...I admit it.  I voted like 10 times.

Illegal voters, after having already cast their ballots, head to their cars and change outfits in order to vote again, according to President Donald Trump in an interview released Wednesday. The president also stressed what he believed to be the necessity for voter IDs in elections.

A recreation of me on Tuesday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgq5xSnBMgI

No wonder I have not bought cereal in a while:

The president also reiterated previous false statements about voters requiring identification to purchase food, and thus should have the same requirement when voting.

?If you buy a box of cereal?you have a voter ID,? Trump told the conservative news outlet. ?They try to shame everybody by calling them racist, or calling them something, anything they can think of when you say you want voter ID. But voter ID is a very important thing.?
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-illegal-voters-republican-disguise-1215632

Irvinecommuter said:
Dang it...I admit it.  I voted like 10 times.

Illegal voters, after having already cast their ballots, head to their cars and change outfits in order to vote again, according to President Donald Trump in an interview released Wednesday. The president also stressed what he believed to be the necessity for voter IDs in elections.

Yes, Amazon reports a spike in the sale of nose glasses in San Francisco, Seattle, Oakland, and Boston in the days leading up to the midterms.

Happiness said:
2016 Election: A New Hope
2018 Election: The Empire Strikes Back
2020 Election: Return of the Jedi

CbrlB5lWEAEP_F5.jpg

Kings said:
Happiness said:

Wow...the complete lack of self-awareness in that pic is mind-boggling. 

I mean when I think of Trump...I think of a poor dirt farmer from the middle of nowhere out to fight against a racist/sexist totalitarian regime that ignore laws and rules by fear.

Irvinecommuter said:
Kings said:
Happiness said:

I mean when I think of Trump...I think of a poor dirt farmer from the middle of nowhere out to fight against a racist/sexist totalitarian regime that ignore laws and rules by fear.

LastingImaginativeKoalabear-size_restricted.gif

Irvinecommuter said:
Kings said:
Happiness said:

Wait, wait... are you saying the Galactic Empire is racist/sexist?

Back