Mello-Roos of Irvine

jmoney74 said:
Gotta be mindful... Some of these MRs can continue on.  When I was shopping for home at PS I asked about expiration dates... They told me to just expect to pay it forever. Lol

Forward me your PP info, I want to add you guys to the list (Jeter and Aqua too)

MRs suck for those who have them, but maybe suck just a tiny bit less since

1) Pay-off obligation is typically calculated based on current yield of the MR bond. If rates go up (one day who knows when), your pay-off amount on a long-term MR is going to down dramatically and paying it off will be a no-brainer

2) MR pay-off is already a much better option vs. paying off mortgage. MR yield is at least 1-2%+ higher than mortgage and you can immediately reduce/eliminate your annual payment on it

ps9 said:
jmoney74 said:
Gotta be mindful... Some of these MRs can continue on.  When I was shopping for home at PS I asked about expiration dates... They told me to just expect to pay it forever. Lol

Forward me your PP info, I want to add you guys to the list (Jeter and Aqua too)

I'll have to dig through it.

i1 said:

1) Pay-off obligation is typically calculated based on current yield of the MR bond. If rates go up (one day who knows when), your pay-off amount on a long-term MR is going to down dramatically and paying it off will be a no-brainer

2) MR pay-off is already a much better option vs. paying off mortgage. MR yield is at least 1-2%+ higher than mortgage and you can immediately reduce/eliminate your annual payment on it

Tax write off?  I know that can be disputed.. but I tried looking more into it.  Even Turbo tax says it's a gray area. 

jmoney74 said:
i1 said:

Tax write off?  I know that can be disputed.. but I tried looking more into it.  Even Turbo tax says it's a gray area. 

It's only a tax write off up to a certain point. Once you are in amt land it starts to get phAsed out. I'm guessing g most folks on TI buying in irvine don't get a federal deduction for their property taxes.

qwerty said:
jmoney74 said:
i1 said:

It's only a tax write off up to a certain point. Once you are in amt land it starts to get phAsed out. I'm guessing g most folks on TI buying in irvine don't get a federal deduction for their property taxes.

What is that point?  I don't see it anywhere and obviously I'm not at that point... I think.  ;)

jmoney74 said:
qwerty said:
jmoney74 said:
i1 said:

What is that point?  I don't see it anywhere and obviously I'm not at that point... I think.  ;)

I've never calculated it. I just use turbotax and when I enter the property taxes paid the amount owed for federal just stays the same :-(

You could play around with turbotax and see at what income levels it starts to get phased out and when it's fully phased out

irvinehomeowner said:
@qwerty:

1%ers don't get 99%er benefits.

But a true 1%er would be able to shelter their income so that they do get 99%er benefits. :)

lol true.

irvinehomeowner said:
@qwerty:

1%ers don't get 99%er benefits.

But a true 1%er would be able to shelter their income so that they do get 99%er benefits. :)

No argument here.

so in columbus square i have the R2 and R5, the R2 annual payment right now is at 4,400 and the R5 is at 2,200.  i called the numbers on the tax bill on the way in to work this morning.

For the R2, there is a prepayment provision, the interest rate is currently set at 4.5% but increases to 6% by 2037, they didnt give me the specific increases per year in the interest rate.  So based on my calculations i can pay anywhere from $55K to $65K to pay off the bond. Not sure what kind of value i add to the house by paying off the bond, in theory it would be the 55-65K but not sure i would get that all back if i sold. at 4.5%, i would have to generate a return of 7.5% to essentially break even.  it costs $150 for an analyst to calculate a payoff amount and it takes 4-6 weeks to receive the payoff info. Also, once R2 is paid off in 2037 they can not extend it.

For the R5, the guy was not as helpful. he didnt now the interest rate, the main thing is that there is no individual homeowner payoff provision on this this, so cant pay it off even if you want to.  he said the school district would have to add this provision, i asked what the chances of that happening are and he said they have not added an individual homeowner payoff provision to R3 and R4 so that it would be unlikely that R5 would get this provision. 

DO NOT PAY OFF THE BOND.

Like the effect of rising or falling interest rates on home prices, you will not realize a directly proportionate return if you sell.

irvinehomeowner said:
DO NOT PAY OFF THE BOND.

Like the effect of rising or falling interest rates on home prices, you will not realize a directly proportionate return if you sell.

yeah i wasnt going to pay it off for that reason. 

qwerty said:
so in columbus square i have the R2 and R5, the R2 annual payment right now is at 4,400 and the R5 is at 2,200.  i called the numbers on the tax bill on the way in to work this morning.

For the R2, there is a prepayment provision, the interest rate is currently set at 4.5% but increases to 6% by 2037, they didnt give me the specific increases per year in the interest rate.  So based on my calculations i can pay anywhere from $55K to $65K to pay off the bond. Not sure what kind of value i add to the house by paying off the bond, in theory it would be the 55-65K but not sure i would get that all back if i sold. at 4.5%, i would have to generate a return of 7.5% to essentially break even.  it costs $150 for an analyst to calculate a payoff amount and it takes 4-6 weeks to receive the payoff info. Also, once R2 is paid off in 2037 they can not extend it.

For the R5, the guy was not as helpful. he didnt now the interest rate, the main thing is that there is no individual homeowner payoff provision on this this, so cant pay it off even if you want to.  he said the school district would have to add this provision, i asked what the chances of that happening are and he said they have not added an individual homeowner payoff provision to R3 and R4 so that it would be unlikely that R5 would get this provision. 
http://tustinca.org/documents/CFD.pdf

I'm new here - not quite sure how to do that. I'd rather not post it publicly.

ps9 said:
Joe61022 said:
I'm a homeowner in CV, and here's my MR:

District 11-24, $1931/year, no end date listed
District 86-1, $685/year through 2019-2020 (school)
District 09-1, $1700/year through 2059-2060 (public facilities)

Not sure about the R-number. Nothing like that is listed on my contract.

Comes out to about $300/month after that school one expires in 5 years. Hope that first one expires eventually.

Hey Joe, if possible, can you forward me the info on your contract at Cypress Village regarding Mello-Roos?  Curious what the District 11-24 is.... Mello-Roos or 1915 AD Bond?

Contacted Great Park. The mello-roos is indefinite and she was confused when I mentioned the "R-type" taxes. That really sucks. Every 30 years, mello-roos will double!

??? said:
Contacted Great Park. The mello-roos is indefinite and she was confused when I mentioned the "R-type" taxes. That really sucks. Every 30 years, mello-roos will double!

If a few thousand in 30 years is going to stress you out.. then you have more coming to you. 

??? said:
many sales reps get a lot of stuff wrong and know less than buyers. [unfortunately, my broker is in this category and it did cost me a good amount]. back to the point, you got some wrong info - 2/3 of GP MR is guaranteed to expire and not be renewed. The other 1/3 should be assumed indefinite, although possibility of a reduction exists.

Back