Marigold at Cypress Village

Chairman said:
I have noticed little black pellets in the garage and outside. I also saw a bunch of berries gathered in a corner in my backyard. Are the pellets from rats/mice?

The rabbit droppings are black spherical pellet.  The rat droppings is black and shape like grain of rice but slightly bigger.  Hope you don't find these inside of your garage.

lnc said:
Chairman said:
I have noticed little black pellets in the garage and outside. I also saw a bunch of berries gathered in a corner in my backyard. Are the pellets from rats/mice?

The rabbit droppings are black spherical pellet.  The rat droppings is black and shape like grain of rice but slightly bigger.  Hope you don't find these inside of your garage.

Yup inside my garage. So where would they be hiding out at? I doubt a rabbit could get in. More likely a mouse. My side walls in the garage are pretty high up. I have to put out some traps.

lnc said:
Chairman said:

I was wondering what those black pellets were all over my plants in the backyard.  Ewwww.  Guess the rats were trying to get up to my Topsy Turvey Tomato Vine. 

So what's a good way to get rid of rats??

ZeroLot said:

You can borrow qwerty's dog. :)

images

ZeroLot said:
lnc said:
Chairman said:

i found a rats nestle underneath the air conditioner concrete in my backyard. Put a trap yesterday and caught one. I will keep putting traps around the yard
I was wondering what those black pellets were all over my plants in the backyard.  Ewwww.  Guess the rats were trying to get up to my Topsy Turvey Tomato Vine. 

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I thought those pellets were caused by my plants.  I just called up my pest control guy and they're going to come over and take care of it.

I had no idea that the rat situation gets worse when the weather gets cold.

I feel kind of bad calling my pest control over to my house so often but between spiders, ants, and rats ... it feels like quarterly sprays just isn't enough.  Thank goodness I signed up for their yearly plan.

For anyone wondering, I went withhttp://www.totcpest.com/

But for those moving into new home developments, the pest issue is normal.  Once the development gets older ... the pest issue gets a little better.  At least I haven't seen any snakes in my yard yet. 

New construction always comes with pest issues.  Never know if a worker left some food or a soda can within the walls somewhere.  Pest control is a must unless you feel like dealing with pesticides yourself on a regular basis.  Someone is probably putting out poison for you to see dead rats in the open. The poison makes them thirsty so they leave the house looking for water.

Otherwise they die in the walls or ceiling.  You can imagine the consequences of that happening.

Chairman said:
I have noticed little black pellets in the garage and outside. I also saw a bunch of berries gathered in a corner in my backyard. Are the pellets from rats/mice? I've seen rabbits running around but no mice.. at least in person.

I had a black widow infestation in my backyard and had to cave in and get an exterminator to come every 3 months or on call if necessary.

Also noticed there are a lot of mosquito type insects (long legs, really thin) that fly around and perch themselves on my front door and side gate. Is that normal for others?

Oh and I have noticed really thin black worms in my house. They'll just magically appear on the carpet. One of my bedrooms upstairs had 4 or 5 and every few weeks another will appear. My master bedroom just had 1 yesterday. Are they coming out of the electric outlets or just from underneath the carpet? Can anyone relate to that one?

I find those black worms as well here and there.  I think it's the Moth Larvae.  They might be laying eggs inside the Ceiling Vents and falling down to the carpet/floor while crawling up there.  These larvae die really fast in Dry conditions and love damp areas.  They are harmless, but it's disgusting.

ukuoy said:
ZeroLot said:
lnc said:
Chairman said:

i found a rats nestle underneath the air conditioner concrete in my backyard. Put a trap yesterday and caught one. I will keep putting traps around the yard

you know I saw some dirt dug up right by my ac vent. I was pretty sure something was down there. I need to put a trap over there. thanks for the info.

Ok, I got some news.  Professional pest control will offer a box plus bait.  It all cost extra money ... Setup fee + monthly fee.

I didn't think much of it so decided to let the association handle the outdoor rat problem.  Association should have some baits in common areas to take of this situation. If they don't ... Try asking for it.  Since our common areas are maintained by the HOA we can all try.

Now all was well until we saw a rat in the HOUSE!!  eeek!!  All the Zerolots screamed and I went straight to Amazon.  We bought some of those box rat traps, did overnight shipping, consulted a bunch of my friends and coworkers about bait, chose Skippy peanut butter as the bait, and after one night .... Problem solved.

We still have the trap and more bait in them just in case.  But it's either a trap or we adopt a cat.  So far we went with the trap.

Whatever you do, I was told to NEVER ever let the rats enter the attic.  That is a mess not worth ever experiencing.

I'm looking seriously at Marigold and all this talk of rats and black widow spiders has me really concerned. Are these issues pervasive throughout Cypress Village? Or does this seem to be an issue limited to Marigold and the developments immediately surrounding it?

viobruin said:
I'm looking seriously at Marigold and all this talk of rats and black widow spiders has me really concerned. Are these issues pervasive throughout Cypress Village? Or does this seem to be an issue limited to Marigold and the developments immediately surrounding it?

It's very common for any new development.

gasman said:
viobruin said:

It's very common for any new development.

Agreed.  I used to live in Woodbridge, an old community, and we had the same problems PLUS a huge ant problem.  One time we had a bee and wasp problem too.  But the condo association took care of the rat and bigger issues. 

The only new experience for me in Marigold is the rat problem because I've never had a yard and garage before.  But my friends who live in other parts of Irvine who always had a yard and garage gave me tips on how to handle the rat problem.  So I know it's not just me in Marigold or CV that's having these issues.  It's just the joys of home-ownership. Guess this explains why so many love apartment living.

Traps with peanut butter work like a charm.  Cheese is ok but mixed results.

Honestly, because rodents/pests don't respect property lines, you're at the mercy of your neighbors' diligence in addressing their rodent/pest problems as well.  Whatever they don't fix is going to spill over into your home.  It's definitely part of the joy of home ownership.

Gophers and termites are the big ones to look out for.  Unless you have no yard vegetation/grass/trees...then gophers are no big deal.  Don't get me started on roaches and ants...shared walls (apartment, condo, etc) are BRUTAL with those...

I'm not a native Californian (I'm from the Pacific NW), so when I hear black widow spider, that sets off some alarms. People here talk about them so nonchalantly though. Are they quite prevalent in Irvine and Cypress Village? Or is having a black widow infestation the anomaly? Also, are they just not that dangerous (like I was made to believe as a kid)?

They're very prevalent in this area, and are usually seasonal.  I see them a lot during the summer, when other bugs (food sources) are at their peak.  Black widow eggs are easy to spot too, as they look like fuzz balls or mini sea urchins.  They're plenty dangerous, but my boot is deadlier to them. :)

viobruin said:
I'm not a native Californian (I'm from the Pacific NW), so when I hear black widow spider, that sets off some alarms. People here talk about them so nonchalantly though. Are they quite prevalent in Irvine and Cypress Village? Or is having a black widow infestation the anomaly? Also, are they just not that dangerous (like I was made to believe as a kid)?

Pest issues are quite common in southern Cal. When I lived at UC Irvine campus apartment, spiders visited as frequently as mailman

For those who are new to Southern California, another common pest to be careful of is the brown widow spider - I've found them hiding in empty planters in my backyard/on the frame of my wood fence side gate/under outdoor furniture/etc.  While not as dangerous as a black widow, still need to be careful around them.  Their egg sac looks similar to a black widow's - little white ball with spikes on it.

There have been spiders and rats in every neighborhood I've lived in locally, doesn't matter whether it's old or new.

Geez. What did i do??? Backed out the car when the garage door is not fully lifted. Bannnnggg!
One of the beams bended and i can see light coming through the door.
Will Irvine pacific repair the garage door for free?

Back