March Madness

Sad that our Irvine boy Austin Daye come up with such a stinker in his first tourney game... Poor Zags. Those Davidson boys can seriously shoot the rock.

<p>Love will move back to the C Spot once Mbah a Moute comes back</p>

<p><a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/roster?teamId=26">http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/roster?teamId=26</a></p>

<p>I don't think they are the most talented team, in the tournament, but they have the best depth. Collison, Shipp, and Westbrook are excellent backcourt players. Love will dominate whoever he plays against (until the Final 4). Only question mark is the injury sustained by Mbah a Moute.</p>

<p>Anyways, I hope this is the year after 2 straight Final 4's...</p>

<p> </p>

Also, Stephen Curry from Davidson can shoot the lights out. His dad, Dell, played many years in the NBA, and was a 3-point shooting stud for over a decade...

IPO - Michael Beasley is a stud, Love is a good college player and thats all he is ever going to be. His weaknesses will get exposed in the final 4 as vicstah mentioned.

I beg to differ with ESPN's position classifications. I watched pretty much every Bruins game this year and between Aboya and what could be the ugliest man on earth, Mata-Real, they played over 30 minutes a night at the center position. I am a huge Kevin Love fan, but the dude can't jump and is lucky to be 6-10 in shoes. He might have played center in high school, but in D-1 hoops he is a bruising PF with a good long-range stroke and uncanny passing abilities.

<p>"IPO - Michael Beasley is a stud, Love is a good college player and thats all he is ever going to be. His weaknesses will get exposed in the final 4 as vicstah mentioned"</p>

<p>I mostly agree with you there qwerty. Beasley is the real deal. Athletic, great handle, nose for the ball, strong, quick. Beasley will make a very good if not great NBA player. He's a lefty, which is an advantage, but has a great right hand already. He dropped in a nice right-handed hook off a spin move yesterday from 10-12'. Many current NBA guys would have trouble with that shot using their off-hand...</p>

<p>I don't think Love's weaknesses will be exposed in the tourney until if and when UCLA meets up with NC, G-Town, or Kansas. There is no size out West. Neither Xavier nor Duke have any contributing players taller than 6-8 or so. Assuming Memphis or Texas makes it out of the South, there won't be any size to compete with Love in the Final Four semi either. Memphis and Texas are guard-oriented and guard-dominated teams. I'd take Hansbrough over Love any day. Tyler could chew Kevin up in a championship game. Hibbert would probably block around 6 of Love's shots... </p>

<p>ipo,</p>

<p>Agree with you. UCLA will play its 5 best players at the crunch time, and Aboya and Mata-Rael won't be on the floor w/ 2 min left and score tied. Love is a good player. He'll dominate most nights in college, but will probably get worked in the pros. FYI, Lebron is 6'8 and 245lb, and can fly up and down the court. Love, at PF, will be guarding the likes of KG, Amare, Dwight Howard, and Rasheed Wallace types.</p>

<p>KSU's Beasley is the best player in college. Amazing freshman class w/ Beasley, Memphis' Rose, and UCLA's Love. Anyways, games are not played on paper. March Madness is what it is because ANYTHING can happen. :)</p>

<p> </p>

Love has played center all year long... and has humiliated every player that he has matched up against. Sure he is limited athletically, but his skill level is so far above any other college player that it doesn't matter. Earlier this season both of the Lopez twins fouled out trying to guard him before Love picked up a single foul. He is that far ahead of everyone in college.

I'm curious what big men people here think will give Love trouble in the tournament because I think he will continue to dominate everyone he faces. Basketball is about a lot more than jumping high and Love excels in virtually every other aspect.

<p>I disagree QH Renter. Love has problems with Jon Brockman at Washington and contrary to your indication, plays mostly to a stand-off with Brook Lopez. Brook Lopez is a power forward by the way. </p>

<p>Cases in point:</p>

<p>2/10 game, UW beat UCLA: Love = 13 pts, 10 rbs, 1 ast, Brockman = 12 pts, 17 rbs, 2 asts</p>

<p>1/10 game, UCLA beat UW: Love = 11 pts, 7 rbs, 4 ast, Brockman = 16 pts, 8 rbst, 2 asts</p>

<p>I wouldn't call either of these cases humiliation at all. Brockman arguably outplayed Love in both match-ups. Brockman is shorter than Love, but more athletic. Brockman's quickness bothers Love. Love is the better overall player but not by a huge amount. Brockman averaged almost 18 and 12 for the season against the same Pac-10 competition Love averaged 17 and 10 against.</p>

<p>Brook Lopez mostly played Love to a stand-still in all of their match-ups this year. Even after missing a good chunk of the early season, Brook Lopez outscored Love on average for the season. He's not as good a rebounder as Love for sure, but Brook Lopez very well might be drafted higher/sooner in terms of the NBA. </p>

<p>I agree the number of bigs in the tourney to trouble Love is few. Would have been interesting to see what Thabeet would have done against him. Texas A&M has an athletic big in Jordan, but he hasn't been getting much clock of late. Skill level is low there. Darrell Arthur at Kansas is a good big and so is Blake Griffin at Oklahoma. </p>

I agree with IPO on his statements above, I still dont understand how Love got the pac 10 player of the year. Hell you could argue OJ mayo from SC had a better year. It was clear Love did not dominate the pac 10 - when shareef abdur rahim from Cal won the player of the year as a freshman, he was very dominant and was the best player in the conference. I dont think Love is even the best player on his team.

Phew... Bruins eeked that one out. Love was masterful, especially on the defensive end. I have never seen that dude that aggressive in terms of challenging shots. 7 blocked shots?! Needed every single one of them too.

So close!!!! It would have been great if the Aggies had pull the upset but at least they showed that they belong on the big stage with the big boys in the last few years. Gig'em Ags!

Seconds on the clock with UCLA leading by 2. One of the A&M's guards pull up for a tying shot and his shooting wrist was gripped by a UCLA player. The ball came loose...End of game. Should a foul have been called? Not if you're PAC10 Refs. Note: I followed Nude's instructions for posting picture without success. Here is the link to the picture.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/<a target="_blank" href="http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-ucla23mar23-pg,1,1337040.photogallery?index=2">www.latimes.com/sports/la-ucla23mar23-pg,1,1337040.photogallery</a>

<a href="http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-ucla23mar23-pg,1,1337040.photogallery?index=2" target="_blank">

</a>

<p>waiting2. . . Aggies have to wait in line behind Cal and Stanford for getting robbed in a game against UCLA. </p>

<p><embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXTQRCt8Zu4" width="425" height="350" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" wmode="transparent"></embed></p>

IC, phantom foul calling, scoring behind the backboard...Let's see what they will come up next. Hopefully for the rest of the tournament, PAC 10 refs aren't scheduled to call UCLA games. I have nothing against UCLA and they deserved kudos by coming back in the second half. It was just too bad that the refs decided the outcome.

I dunno waiting2... it looks to me like he is just checking his pulse. I think it's nice of him to be so concerned about his health and welfare.

Back