Luna Park in Great Park Neighborhood

"Plenty of space," the only nearby elementary schools within SVUSD to Lunar Park (Rancho and Foothill Ranch) are already stuffed with children from the new LF developments, a whole new Irvine population is definitely not within question. Not to mention the existing IUSD schools within GP are already crowded as well. What exactly are they trying to appeal to with this new community? GP has turned into a can of sardines. Whatever happened to getting retail and a grand central park? Is that still the plan?
There’s other elem schools in lake forest aside from foothill ranch and rancho. Olivewood comes to mind. It’s closer than Foothill ranch. There’s also Santiago. Those would probably be more favorable options from a commuting standpoint. If you’re driving your kid to school on the way to work, going up to foothill ranch elem doesn’t make sense from your house near 5 fwy/alton. This is a SVUSD problem - not an IUSD problem. Builders will be rolling out the homes with SVUSD stamped on all the marketing. IUSD is not involved regardless of how close these homes are to existing IUSD schools.

"Plenty of space," the only nearby elementary schools within SVUSD to Lunar Park (Rancho and Foothill Ranch) are already stuffed with children from the new LF developments, a whole new Irvine population is definitely not within question. Not to mention the existing IUSD schools within GP are already crowded as well. What exactly are they trying to appeal to with this new community? GP has turned into a can of sardines. Whatever happened to getting retail and a grand central park? Is that still the plan?
Retail is coming. They said that the last ten years, but this year is different.

My guess is that most of the homes will be attached and 3-levels at lower price points.

After living in a tri-level condo, I've grown wary of them.

I'd make an exception for Rancho Mission Viejo's tri-level condos, some of which have a bedroom and full bath on ground floor (Oasis plan 3, & 4-2).

After living in a tri-level condo, I've grown wary of them.

I'd make an exception for Rancho Mission Viejo's tri-level condos, some of which have a bedroom and full bath on ground floor (Oasis plan 3, & 4-2).
The only acceptable tri-level homes are the ones with kitchen, dining room, great/living room on the ground floor. Having a bedroom and full bath on ground floor is a plus. Third floor shouldn't have anything other than bonus room. A good example of a desirable tri-level home is Cal Pac's Sierra Plan 2X, where third floor consists of bonus room (with option of kitchenette/powder room) and a deck with a view. Plan 2Y is also acceptable without the deck, but the deck with view is much nicer. :D

The only acceptable tri-level homes are the ones with kitchen, dining room, great/living room on the ground floor. Having a bedroom and full bath on ground floor is a plus. Third floor shouldn't have anything other than bonus room. A good example of a desirable tri-level home is Cal Pac's Sierra Plan 2X, where third floor consists of bonus room (with option of kitchenette/powder room) and a deck with a view. Plan 2Y is also acceptable without the deck, but the deck with view is much nicer. :D
I agree. Calpac was one of the first in Irvine to design homes with the third floor bonus room. They were doing this in the late 90s. I wouldn't want to be in something that had anything other than a bonus room on the third floor, unless it was a bonus room with optional bedroom.

CalPac examples:

Fieldstone examples:

Yes, I was that bored haha.

GPN added more info about Luna Park on their website and seems like Lennar will be primarily building the homes in Luna Park and some of the homes will be zoned to IUSD while others will be zoned to SVUSD based on the address per their website. LOL 🤣 It would really suck if the SVUSD zoned homeowners have to pay the same high Mello Roos as the IUSD zoned homeowners!

GPN added more info about Luna Park on their website and seems like Lennar will be primarily building the homes in Luna Park and some of the homes will be zoned to IUSD while others will be zoned to SVUSD based on the address per their website. LOL 🤣 It would really suck if the SVUSD zoned homeowners have to pay the same high Mello Roos as the IUSD zoned homeowners!

If they pay the same MR as the IUSD folks that will be absurd...but I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

This sounds very similar to Strada in OH. The community is split between TUSD and IUSD based on address. School bonds were appropriately charged based on your assigned school district.

What are they going to put on their sales brochure in regards to school district and MR, though? Line up fast if you want your kids to go to IUSD and pay more MR?

In Rise Park and in Solis there were such Tri level homes where the kitchen / dining and living room is at the ground floor and all bedrooms are on seconds floor and the third floor is a bonus room with bath / powder room with covered and open balcony. Agree such layout you have to climb one stair only to get to bedrooms just like any other single family home. If there is a room at the ground floor it would be best but due to open layout design those ground floor bedrooms are hard to accommodate in such small lot sizes.

Any other updates on Luna Park? I'm curious if they'll have more affordable options for first time homebuyers, like the Dawn 1-bedroom condos in Solis.

428457693_787627703407852_4347969098719345168_n.jpg

The only "big things on the horizon" for buyers at Luna would be the high density housing, high Mello Roos and non-IUSD zoning for a majority of the homes! LOL 🤣

When new construction, amenities, and environment are important factors--you're willing to fork over the HOA and MR. Emphasis on more affordable, not affordable period. Even just a few dozen units that are under 750K rather than everything over 1.5m.

When new construction, amenities, and environment are important factors--you're willing to fork over the HOA and MR. Emphasis on more affordable, not affordable period. Even just a few dozen units that are under 750K rather than everything over 1.5m.
The problem with a lot of buyers, especially first timers, is they don't really evaluate all of the costs and then end up screwing themselves with the high tax rate, high MR and high HOAs. A lot of people just see the price and go "Oh, I can do that!". Reminds me of all the madness that happened in Ladera back in the day.

There are 750k new condos in Irvine? Maybe for low income, but it's an entire lengthy process within itself. There are also new constructions in other areas as well without MR and a reasonable HOA.

As @irviniteeee mentioned, one needs to evaluate the entire cost of ownership and not only the sale price. Cost of a gardener or any home improvements in Irvine is going to be more than other areas. I wouldn't recommend Irvine as a FTHB. But of course, if you're a trust fund baby or the $$$ isn't yours but your parents, forget what I said lol.

There are 750k condos in Irvine? Maybe for low income, but it's an entire lengthy process within itself. There are also new constructions in other areas as well without MR and a reasonable HOA.
Dawn 1 (1b 1b condos) in Solis Park were 600-670k last year. I think the 2-bed plans were 750-800. According to Lennar they will have something similar in Luna.

Back