Luna Park in Great Park Neighborhood

I spoke to the Sales Rep from Lennar last week and was informed Lennar will begin construction in Luna Park next year. In addition, the homes in Luna Park will be part of Saddleback Valley Unified School District instead of Irvine Unified School District

I spoke to the Sales Rep from Lennar last week and was informed Lennar will begin construction in Luna Park next year. In addition, the homes in Luna Park will be part of Saddleback Valley Unified School District instead of Irvine Unified School District
I believe it was advertised that Solar Park would be the last community being part of IUSD. Does that mean Luna Park doesn't have to pay that huge MR that GP homes need to pay. Or are they getting the short end of the stick, paying huge MR and going to SVUSD? That would really suck.

I believe it was advertised that Solar Park would be the last community being part of IUSD. Does that mean Luna Park doesn't have to pay that huge MR that GP homes need to pay. Or are they getting the short end of the stick, paying huge MR and going to SVUSD? That would really suck.
Luna Park home owners will probably have to pay “Great Park CDF No.2013-3 Special Tax” if you look at the map for this tax. Maybe they’ll -$1700 which goes to IUSD.

Here is a photo I saw on a website of the location and boundary of Luna Park and relative to other parks neighborhoods in Great Park. Seems like there might be one more park after this one as shown in Future Development below Luna Park. That land is not owned by City so Fivepoint might build more houses there it seems. If anyone has more information about that as well please share.

Attachments

• OCR-L-GRPKTENTH-0927-02-PB-1.jpg
    OCR-L-GRPKTENTH-0927-02-PB-1.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 76
Which SVUSD school would they even go to? Attending El Toro High School when Portola High School is right across the street is pathetic, and there are no elementary or middle schools nearby. Luna Park also seems like the biggest GP development yet, aside from Pavilion

Which SVUSD school would they even go to? Attending El Toro High School when Portola High School is right across the street is pathetic, and there are no elementary or middle schools nearby. Luna Park also seems like the biggest GP development yet, aside from Pavilion
Kind of dumb if you ask me...IUSD should try to get that land. The only similar situation I can think of is how some kids live across the street from Beckman but are assigned to Northwood high. There's also a bit of Irvine that's assigned to Santa Ana school district despite being close to Uni and UP/Rancho schools.

IUSD would need to build a new school to accommodate Luna Park, whereas SVUSD has existing schools with plenty of space to service these students. There’s a bunch off the 5 fwy on the other side of Lake Forest Dr. Probably easier and cheaper to do a bus route from Luna to one of those schools - similar to what they offer at one of the neighborhoods close to UCI.

IUSD would need to build a new school to accommodate Luna Park, whereas SVUSD has existing schools with plenty of space to service these students. There’s a bunch off the 5 fwy on the other side of Lake Forest Dr. Probably easier and cheaper to do a bus route from Luna to one of those schools - similar to what they offer at one of the neighborhoods close to UCI.
Build a new school just for Luna Park? Who is pocketing that cost? There will be strong opposition for most of Irvine residents if funding is needed and MR gets added to existing owners that only helps Luna Park homeowners.

I know in LF that won't happen as we don't allow MR in our hood :)

This is definitely something worth considering before moving. It's so odd to live in a brand new masterplanned community and not be able to attend their new state of the art schools...Luna Park will share schools with The Meadows possibly? Sounds like a problem in the future.

Edit: I also read that they scrapped the school idea for The Meadows this summer.

My concern would be whether or not there is truly enough space. There were already concerns from parents in Baker Ranch & The Meadows and Luna Park isn't even built yet.

This is definitely something worth considering before moving. It's so odd to live in a brand new masterplanned community and not be able to attend their new state of the art schools...Luna Park will share schools with The Meadows possibly? Sounds like a problem in the future.

Edit: I also read that they scrapped the school idea for The Meadows this summer.
No, it was never going to happen and it was toll brothers way of selling the meadows. Once it was more than 50% sold the news broke out that it wouldn’t be built. Shady as hell. Hopefully buyers weren’t buying the meadows banking on the new school.

No, it was never going to happen and it was toll brothers way of selling the meadows. Once it was more than 50% sold the news broke out that it wouldn’t be built. Shady as hell. Hopefully buyers weren’t buying the meadows banking on the new school.
They definitely were relying on a new school because now there is a petition online from residents to build the alleged school. Seems pretty crappy to me even though it technically wasn't promised. SVUSD says it no longer saw the need for the school....lol. Another interesting tidbit I read from the residents was that the community wasn't going to be gated because of the fact that they were planning on building a school. Some of them are now pushing for the community to be gated if there will be no school. Seems like a lot of the people who bought there feel deceived.

They definitely were relying on a new school because now there is a petition online from residents to build the alleged school. Seems pretty crappy to me even though it technically wasn't promised. SVUSD says it no longer saw the need for the school....lol. Another interesting tidbit I read from the residents was that the community wasn't going to be gated because of the fact that they were planning on building a school. Some of them are now pushing for the community to be gated if there will be no school. Seems like a lot of the people who bought there feel deceived.
TBH if you're a home buyer and have not done due diligence that is the individuals problem and they are the ones that will take the L. The entire meadows community was a sales gimmick with the school situation. The location is also horrible. You're surrounded by two of the busiest roads in LF and next to home depot. This situation reminds me of GP where sales were telling me they have high taxes in GP because they're going to build shopping centers, stadiums, etc. What ended up happening? A waterpark and the stadium that is there is now gone with no plans of a replacement. Sure there are talks of building stuff now but who knows how long that will take to come to fruition.

TBH if you're a home buyer and have not done due diligence that is the individuals problem and they are the ones that will take the L. The entire meadows community was a sales gimmick with the school situation. The location is also horrible. You're surrounded by two of the busiest roads in LF and next to home depot. This situation reminds me of GP where sales were telling me they have high taxes in GP because they're going to build shopping centers, stadiums, etc. What ended up happening? A waterpark and the stadium that is there is now gone with no plans of a replacement. Sure there are talks of building stuff now but who knows how long that will take to come to fruition.
The Meadows location is not great TBH and feels like a commercial zone and not a residential one with commercial buildings surrounding it probably because the site was a former wholesale nursery that Toll Brothers bought to build these "luxury homes" on. With all of the Toll Brothers fancy marketing, I believe they have already sold out of the Evergreens homes which were the largest and most expensive at the Meadows. I have seen a lot of Meadows homes being listed for rent after they are purchased so seems like FCB's bought at the Meadows for investment purposes thinking that it was like Irvine and it is not even close to the look and feel of the Villages of Irvine and is very poorly planned with no school in the community now for the residents and no gates!

My concern would be whether or not there is truly enough space. There were already concerns from parents in Baker Ranch & The Meadows and Luna Park isn't even built yet.
The elem schools Luna Park are “closer” to are different. Baker ranch is zoned for foothill ranch elem. That’s not remotely close to Luna. Luna is essentially alton/5 fwy.

PS I heard homeowners (?) picketed in front of the Meadows sales office about a school.

The elem schools Luna Park are “closer” to are different. Baker ranch is zoned for foothill ranch elem. That’s not remotely close to Luna. Luna is essentially alton/5 fwy.

PS I heard homeowners (?) picketed in front of the Meadows sales office about a school.
Funny how everyone wants a new neighborhood school but doesnt want to pay mellos

Luna Park’s best chance of having a school is for IUSD or Lennar to rent the school land rights from SVUSD through an ongoing agreement. This would have to be a special builder fee or Mello Roos tax. With declining enrollment across SVUSD, they wouldn’t build a school in an area with great need such as Baker Ranch, which means no way to a school in Luna Park. The district simply accepted the square footage fee as promised to save for the entire district.

I agree with Sleepy, just because the developer says land has been set aside for a school does not mean the district wants the land for that purpose. Reminds me of the planned retail space in Portola Springs that became an IUSD site.

If families want a school, then make sure the developer pays for all of the long term costs associated with it.

I wonder what types of homes are planned at Luna Park? If they are smaller footprints, then they might not be super family friendly anyway.

Luna Park’s best chance of having a school is for IUSD or Lennar to rent the school land rights from SVUSD through an ongoing agreement. This would have to be a special builder fee or Mello Roos tax. With declining enrollment across SVUSD, they wouldn’t build a school in an area with great need such as Baker Ranch, which means no way to a school in Luna Park. The district simply accepted the square footage fee as promised to save for the entire district.

I agree with Sleepy, just because the developer says land has been set aside for a school does not mean the district wants the land for that purpose. Reminds me of the planned retail space in Portola Springs that became an IUSD site.

If families want a school, then make sure the developer pays for all of the long term costs associated with it.

I wonder what types of homes are planned at Luna Park? If they are smaller footprints, then they might not be super family friendly anyway.

My guess is that most of the homes will be attached and 3-levels at lower price points.

"Plenty of space," the only nearby elementary schools within SVUSD to Lunar Park (Rancho and Foothill Ranch) are already stuffed with children from the new LF developments, a whole new Irvine population is definitely not within question. Not to mention the existing IUSD schools within GP are already crowded as well. What exactly are they trying to appeal to with this new community? GP has turned into a can of sardines. Whatever happened to getting retail and a grand central park? Is that still the plan?

Back