Lighting

So far so good.  These FEIT BR30 Flood lights work good.  I have been testing them in my living room since the summer.  During the costco sale, I bought 35 of them (limit 20). ::)
750 lumens and since there are 6 lights in the room, perfectly bright.  Now I just need to take the effort to replace all the lights around the San Mateo house.

They replaced my 75W-1100 lumens light bulb which I think were more like heat lamps when they were on (burned hot).  Model on the original bulb is 75PAR30/H/FL, 130V-Flood, 1100 lumens.

I find out from my not so friendly HOA that the light attached to my house in the motor court is my responsibility.  It is controlled by a sensor.  The original light model is PL-C 18w/827/4P and the replacement is G24q-2 base (off center tabs).  TO REMOVE THE LIGHT, PULL DOWN GENTLY.

Tip:  You might want to support the top part of the light while you pull down and using a pair of thin gloves help.  I find that Irvine Pacific using this type of light is very stupid.  Then again, they are a lame homebuilder.

Since I am in the light bulb changing mood, I look at the light outside my garage and backyard sliding door.  It is a joke.  Some ultra mini GU24 13W 2700K 120V that seems to have 800 lumens.  TO REMOVE THE LIGHT, TWIST.  DO NOT PULL DOWN!

I replace both lights with a 18W, 1100 lumens (75watt equivalent) that I get from Home Depot.  This light is much bigger than the mini one and seems to fight the socket just right without the light bulb touching the any part of the fixture.  There was nothing wrong with the original bulbs except they were useless as a light source.  The extra 300 lumens does make a difference to me.

Forgot to post the G24q-2 socket.  I bought the wrong one (tab in the middle)

Attachments

• g24.jpg
    g24.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 118
Anyone have this type (see image below) of 4 Pin light in their kitchen area that they were successfully able to convert to LED?

I have 8 of these buggers in my kitchen and can't find a way to convert DIY or at least some 4 pin to socket converter then I can use the kit.

152i52v.jpg

it' not a straight swap. They sell these converters (depending on your specific socket type); however, the disclaimer is that "You will need to BYPASS the BALLAST in your SYSTEM for this converter to work properly."
http://www.ledlight.com/gx24_4_pin_with_tab_male_to_e26-27_female_converter_adapter.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009V7FOM2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00D5OBBQU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03X1FVQWCESC8J4VFYAX

Thanks guys.  I have no idea what a ballast is or how to bypass it.  Guess I should probably call an electrician for this one (sigh)

aquabliss said:
Anyone have this type (see image below) of 4 Pin light in their kitchen area that they were successfully able to convert to LED?

I have 8 of these buggers in my kitchen and can't find a way to convert DIY or at least some 4 pin to socket converter then I can use the kit.

152i52v.jpg

my lighting buddy told me they don't really market the LEDs for these to the consumer market. 

True but if you use the converter that incognito posted and rewire, then you have a socket that you can use in the LED converter kit.

That's what I plan to do, just haven't called the electrician yet. 

There's some sort of building code require builder to use energy efficient lighting in the Kitchen and may be also in the master bath area.  Builders use these 4 pin socket with CFL bulbs because they are not allows to use the traditional Edison screw socket because home owner can easily switch back to the incandescent bulbs. 

I'm wonder if home owner will violate some sort of building code if they swap out or bypass these 4 pin socket even if the home owner uses the energy efficient LED lighting. 

Supposedly a none Edison socket type of LED lighting will also met the new building code but I have not seem any builder doing it.  If the design center could offer LED as upgrade, I would definite opt for it. 

Finally bought the converters and called the electrician about installing.  I have 9 recessed lights in my kitchen area i want to change and my electrician charges $30/ea to bypass the ballast so I'll be in:

Lights from Costco: 9@$13 + tax = $126
Converters: 9@$3.50 = $31
Install: 9@30 = $270
-------
Total = $427

I think it would make it way brighter in my kitchen so probably will go for it, but will take a long time to make money back on the electricity saved.

That adapter does not have good reviews on amazon with some people complaining of it melting or not fitting properly.  Have you thought of bypassing the ballast and then replace the G24 socket with a E27 socket as one reviewer suggested?

aquabliss said:
Finally bought the converters and called the electrician about installing.  I have 9 recessed lights in my kitchen area i want to change and my electrician charges $30/ea to bypass the ballast so I'll be in:

Lights from Costco: 9@$13 + tax = $126
Converters: 9@$3.50 = $31
Install: 9@30 = $270
-------
Total = $427

I think it would make it way brighter in my kitchen so probably will go for it, but will take a long time to make money back on the electricity saved.

I think the people on Amazon that give it bad reviews didn't bypass the ballast and this is why it failed or overheated.

If you see a review that states they bypassed the ballast and it still melted, can you send me a link I'd like to check it out.

You are correct that most of the negative reviews are from people who did not realize that they will need to bypass the ballast. There was one reviewer who seemed to get it to work (not clear if he bypassed the ballast) and c/o melting. Another person complained of not fitting correctly.

Let us us know how they work after you have them installed!

aquabliss said:
I think the people on Amazon that give it bad reviews didn't bypass the ballast and this is why it failed or overheated.

If you see a review that states they bypassed the ballast and it still melted, can you send me a link I'd like to check it out.

Finally had this done today - the difference is quite amazing.  I guess this probably halfway depends on what lights you buy and weather you're increasing the "comparable to" wattage. 

I used the FEIT Warm White LED's from Costco (also bought LED dimmer), comparable to 120W bulb but using around 20W of power.  I've easily retrofitted these prior on my existing recessed lights (with sockets) but doing these 4 pin retrofits was beyond me. 

After watching the electrician do the first one, I knew I made the right choice.  He had to remove the wiring from the ballast and rewire, then reconnect the existing 4pin outline and install the adapter.  This isn't an easy or straight forward thing so I wouldn't suggest doing this 4pin retrofit in your wet area's unless you know what you're doing. 

Anyhow, he changed 9 recessed lights in my kitchen and the entire kitchen is lighter, brighter, and feels bigger.  Well worth it IMO.  I'll probably have him back to change the 4pins in the bathrooms later as well.

If anyone want my electricians contact info, send me a PM and I'll pass it along.  He's probably not the cheapest but he's very meticulous and does great work. 

Back