Learn the basic rules so you don't get rip-off by builders.

bkshopr_IHB

Buyers are only looking at house by its size and price and immediately do this math price/size.

This is like going to a bookstore buying the thickest book with the cheapest price and disregard the contents.

Developers will fool the consumers by the "Bag Of Chips" trick so beware.

Here are some BK wisdoms to follow to make you a savvy shopper.

Here are some basic rules pertinent to good planning in classic communities that stood the test of time.

1. House area should not exceed 40% of lot size.

2. Front setback should match the house width.

3. Side yard width should be ? of building height.

4. Garage width should be 40% or less of house width.

5. Rear yard depth should be house height + 50%.

After studying many neighborhoods that have retained high value these are the common traits. Deviations from these rules compromise neighborhood aesthetic, privacy and quality of life.

When these criteria are met occupants are happier with their properties and thus stay much longer in their home.

Other important components I am leaving out are varieties of styles, massing, and texture that most production home neighborhoods severely lack so I don?t bother to elaborate.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1241678930]Buyers are only looking at house by its size and price and immediately do this math price/size.

This is like going to a bookstore buying the thickest book with the cheapest price and disregard the contents.

Developers will fool the consumers by the "Bag Of Chips" trick so beware.

Here are some BK wisdoms to follow to make you a savvy shopper.

Here are some basic rules pertinent to good planning in classic communities that stood the test of time.

1. House area should not exceed 40% of lot size.

2. Front setback should match the house width.

3. Side yard width should be ? of building height.

4. Garage width should be 40% or less of house width.

5. Rear yard should be house height + 50%.

After studying many neighborhoods that have retained high value these are the common traits. Deviations from these rules compromise neighborhood aesthetic, privacy and quality of life.

When these criteria are met occupants are happier with their properties and thus stay much longer in their home.

Other important components I am leaving out are varieties of styles, massing, and texture that most production home neighborhoods severely lack so I don?t bother to elaborate.</blockquote>

So what new homes in Irvine for sale now meet that criteria? I can't think of any new Irvine SFR on a 8,000 sq ft lot.

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1241679699]So what new homes in Irvine for sale now meet that criteria? I can't think of any new Irvine SFR on a 8,000 sq ft lot.</blockquote>
Troo dat.

This thread should be in the "Real Estate Outside of Orange County" forum.

Although... my last Irvine house was on a 9000sft lot (which is one of the reasons why we bought it in the first place... and of course... breaking one of bk's rules... it had that 3-car wide garage).

do you mean the same compton whose housing prices jumped from $80,000 to $400,000 in three years? If so, now is a great time to buy in Irvine!!!!!

The rules will provide a reference point for the buyers the relative deviations from the classic.

Planners and architects were trained in schools about the "golden sections" and the planning laws of the West Indies. These were rules to follow in the creation of great communities. Violation of these 5 cardinal rules deserves a McMansion citation.

The more the builders deviate from the rules the more $$$$ the builders put into their pocket.

If two properties being reviewed have the same price then these rules should lead to a tie breaker.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1241680069][quote author="High Gravity" date=1241679699]So what new homes in Irvine for sale now meet that criteria? I can't think of any new Irvine SFR on a 8,000 sq ft lot.</blockquote>
Troo dat.

Although... my last Irvine house was on a 9000sft lot (which is one of the reasons why we bought it in the first place... and of course... breaking one of bk's rules... it had that 3-car wide garage).</blockquote>

Having a 3 car garage does not break one of the 5 rules unless the 3 car garage width exceed the 40% of the entire house width. Graph posted some nice pictures of homes in North Tustin that have frontal garages.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1241680069][quote author="High Gravity" date=1241679699]So what new homes in Irvine for sale now meet that criteria? I can't think of any new Irvine SFR on a 8,000 sq ft lot.</blockquote>
Troo dat.

Although... my last Irvine house was on a 9000sft lot (which is one of the reasons why we bought it in the first place... and of course... breaking one of bk's rules... it had that 3-car wide garage).</blockquote>

Westpark Culdesac lot?

[quote author="etheran" date=1241686766]Most turtle rock homes fit the criteria.</blockquote>

Don't we all agree TRock is Irvine's classic?

You'd probably love the house I'm buying in Riverside-it's a corner lot, and the garage is not on the front of the house-it's on the side, on the other street. Probably the only thing it might not meet is the side yard-too close to the neighbor, although it's a single story, so that doesn't have to be too wide to qualify. Front and back yards apply, as well as lot size to house size, and since the garage is to the side, from the front of the house, it looks like it doesn't have one.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1241683829]Having a 3 car garage does not break one of the 5 rules unless the 3 car garage width exceed the 40% of the entire house width. Graph posted some nice pictures of homes in North Tustin that have frontal garages.</blockquote>
Not many 3CG wide homes in Irvine are less than 40% of the width. You would need to combine two lots for that.

[quote author="Geotpf" date=1241703819]You'd probably love the house I'm buying in Riverside-it's a <strong>corner lot</strong></blockquote>

Lawn job?

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

[quote author="etheran" date=1241686766]Most turtle rock homes fit the criteria.</blockquote>

I don't know about that... there are many townhomes (but lets ignore the non SFRs) and the pink stucco Concordia that don't fit the criteria. The Broadmoor homes don't fit that criteria, the rebuilt McMansions definitely don't fit, the homes inside the loop going up the hill are packed in like sardines up the hillside. Only maybe 20% at the top of the hill might fit this criteria.

Its still a great neighborhood, one that I would love to live in (if they would only put a 99 Ranch, HMart and 85C near the campus). But the majority of homes inside TR are pretty mediocre at best. Go way up the hill and now you're talkin...

Here is the formula to determine the house grade.

<strong>House size</strong>: (40% of lot size - The differential )/40%

<strong>Front Setback</strong>: (Actual setback/house width)

<strong>Sideyards</strong>: (actual sideyard width / 50% of building height)

<strong>Garage</strong>: (40% of house width-the differential)/40%

<strong>Rear yard</strong>: Actual yard depth /150% of building heights

<strong>Add</strong> the percentages together and divide by <strong>5</strong> to find the average.

Below 30% -your home sucks and builder is laughing all the way to the bank.

30%-fail (you will likely move in less than 5 years)

45%- D (As soon your kids finish high school you move)

60%- C (You can tolerate your home but move as soon you find a better one)

75%- B (You like your home but a buyer offer you a very good price you will sell it)

90%- A (You love your home and grand children can't wait to come over and everyone insists Holidays at your house)

Here is a sample calculation for a 50x80 lot. 2400sf , 20' front yard, 5' sideyards, 20' garage width and 20' rear yard

House size (1600 - 800)/1600= 50%

Front setback (20/40)=50%

sideyard (5/10)=50%

garage (16-4)/16=75%

rear yard 20/30=67%

Average is 59% (You can tolerate your home)

Note: use negative numbers for footage and garage width less than 40%

Bk,

Thanks for the free info. for the 1000th times. Those criterias ruled out most, if not all, of Irvine. Would you give us a few OC cities with homes (ave. prices, please) that might fit those criterias.

Few homeowners stay in their home for a long time because many homes do not meet the good grade. In my circle of acquaintances only 2 actually lived in their homes for a very long time since the 70's in Turtle Rock. I do not know of any since the Westpark era.

You would be surprised many older homes with spacious ground in Woodbridge and TRock do meet the good grades that equate to homeowners with pride living a happy and private life. These folks agree a sf in their garden is more meaningful and peaceful to their life than a sf cramped into a McMansion.

[quote author="reason" date=1241747456]Those criterias ruled out most, if not all, of Irvine.

</blockquote>

And yet Irvine grade F homes still cost 10x more than grade A homes in Oklahoma. The first rule in real estate still trumps all.

Back