Las Ventanas Plans 2+3 vs. Maricopa Plans 1+2

Seems to me that these would better compare against Sonoma and I think the Plan 1 Maricopa beats Sonoma's Plan 1 because of the den/room downstairs. Plan 2s might be a draw and the Sonoma Plan 3 wins for me because of the upstairs laundry (heh).

Maricopa Plan 2

Great Room
e548eb83.jpg

Dining Room
01f8b159.jpg

Kitchen
1aad6acd.jpg

Walk-in Pantry (my wife loves this)
a753cd47.jpg

Master Shower (sorry IHO, not fully enclosed)
23245ff1.jpg

Master Bath (I hate tubs like this)
5bd31653.jpg

Laundry (upstairs)
05fa32fb.jpg

Upstairs Bath
4a4785fe.jpg

Den (quite big)
691f6ca4.jpg

Outside
308537bf.jpg

Yeah... walk-in pantry, upstairs laundry (w/ sink) and enclosed shower rule.

I don't see why they couldn't have put a short wall on the one side of that shower.

LBJ said:
Great pics. How big were the lots?

About 4000 sq ft. non-zero lots though, which is a plus, but neighbors are still close.  I remember walking through plan 3 and can see most of the master bedroom in plan 2 next door through the windows in the bonus room. 

I wish I had more shots of the Master Bedrooms.. but it was quite hectic with my 2 year old trying to touch everything (still paint dust everywhere).  One thing I noticed is that the Phase 1 plan 2's are all 3 bedrooms with no option to change to 4 bedrooms.  One of the plan 1's has the option to turn the den into a bedroom 4.  So you're paying for extra upgrades with no choice and no bedroom 4.  That's a dealbreaker for me.  I'll probably wait for phase 2.

I actually prefer the den option over the bedroom as it's more open (double doors) and has more interior space (no closet).

Unless you want someone to permanently sleep there, you could still use it as a guest room by putting in a sleeper sofa (they don't need a closet) and there is still the downstairs shower. Since most of the new Irvine homes don't have a separate living room, having a separate downstairs area for either an office, additional TV room, music room (FCBs need to put their piano and violins somewhere) or kid area  is sensible.

irvinehomeowner said:
I actually prefer the den option over the bedroom as it's more open (double doors) and has more interior space (no closet).

Unless you want someone to permanently sleep there, you could still use it as a guest room by putting in a sleeper sofa (they don't need a closet) and there is still the downstairs shower. Since most of the new Irvine homes don't have a separate living room, having a separate downstairs area for either an office, additional TV room, music room (FCBs need to put their piano and violins somewhere) or kid area  is sensible.

Agreed. I too prefer the den to be used as an office and/or music room. Would like to see how big the great room really is, from the picture, it looked a little small?

ucla bruin said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Agreed. I too prefer the den to be used as an office and/or music room. Would like to see how big the great room really is, from the picture, it looked a little small?

Good points for a den but I can't see myself paying 875k for a 3 bedroom.  The den is big, about the same as a Master bedroom.  The double wide entrance is nice.

The good thing about the den option is if you ever have to resell, like many listings I see, you advertise it as 4-br and just say the downstairs bedroom is being used as a den.

The only thing you have to add is a closet and it qualifies as a bedroom.

Don't you have to pay IrvPac for the option to make it a 4th br?

irvinehomeowner said:
The good thing about the den option is if you ever have to resell, like many listings I see, you advertise it as 4-br and just say the downstairs bedroom is being used as a den.

There probably is a cost to go with the bedroom option.  But if it's not to outrageous, I'll probably go for it. 
A 4th bedroom can still function as music or play room.  I just worry if I leave as a den, it would be a dealbreaker for buyers if I decide to sell in the future.  I would hate to go with contractors for adding doors and closets down the line.

ps99472 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

There probably is a cost to go with the bedroom option.  But if it's not to outrageous, I'll probably go for it. 
A 4th bedroom can still function as music or play room.  I just worry if I leave as a den, it would be a dealbreaker for buyers if I decide to sell in the future.  I would hate to go with contractors for adding doors and closets down the line.
You'd be surprised how much cheaper you can get that conversion done with an outside contractor versus doing it through the builder.  It's not rocket science nor open heart surgeory to put in a closet or change out a door, it's painless...trust me.  ;)

I understand.

I used to think the same but with these new Great Room plans, that extra living space downstairs adds value to me more as a den. When you go to sell... if you advertise and stage it as a 4th br (use a standing wardrobe as a closet), people will perceive it as a 4th br (and you can always work some deal out to pay for a real conversion).

I guess you should configure it to how useful you want it for you... worry about resale later. If you don't mind the extra cost, sounds like it should be better for you to configure it as a 4th BR.

For us, it's just another living space, in the two homes we've had a downstairs BR (including our current one), it's never had a bed in it (and the downstairs shower/bathtub is rarely used too).

USC, IHO you put up some good arguments and that's what I appreciate about this board.  Seeing from different perspectives and getting feedback is priceless.  With that being said, my final argument is that we're too busy(lazy) to worry about a conversion later.  Now if the builder charges an arm and a leg, we'll look elsewhere, otherwise we'll pay for convenience.

ps99472 said:
USC, IHO you put up some good arguments and that's what I appreciate about this board.  Seeing from different perspectives and getting feedback is priceless.  With that being said, my final argument is that we're too busy(lazy) to worry about a conversion later.  Now if the builder charges an arm and a leg, we'll look elsewhere, otherwise we'll pay for convenience.
You can thank my dad for passing on all the handyman/upgrade knowledge my way...too bad he didn't pass along the skills of actually being able to get them done myself.  haha

Emailed them on the price of conversion.  So what would be a good price?  Below $10k?  Looking at the floorplans, it seems it will involve more then just adding/removing doors and closets.  Some of the walls were added as well

Maricopa_Plan_2_Den_Bed2.jpg

Maricopa_Plan_2_Den_Bed.jpg

If the builder is doing it, they'll build it to spec so there really is no extra work other than putting up the extra framing for the closet.

If you leave it as a den, there are two options to add your own closet if you don't want to move the door. The first, like the builder's, adds a closet to the interior wall of the room, the second you either add a large closet to the bath wall of the room or like I show below, add a closet and a desk area:

2dlubv5.jpg

Back