Landscaping cost

eyephone said:
Paris said:
HCM said:
Paris said:
Irvine Dream said:
bones said:
$60k for what you described seems high.  I think $50k including materials is what sounds right based on my experience.  It's also odd that the contractor doesn't include materials - does he except you to go purchase and get them to the house yourself?  I would keep looking...
Paris will disagree *(where is she bye the way/)  If OP bought a 4,000 sq ft house in Irvine, the price is greater than 1.5 million, now don't skimp on landscape, it has be atleast $100K to be neighborhood worthy.

From memory, landscaping for Capella houses with tiny lots were more than $40k

We spent $25k for landscaping including all materials and I'm very happy with the quality of work.

@ Paris:  mind if I ask who you used as your landscaper?  We received bid no. 2 and it's more in line with what we thought.  However, kind of bugs me that I was promised the estimate by this past Tuesday & I had to text the guy for the estimate on Saturday when I had not heard anything.  Already the delays begin, I guess.  I suppose I should be used to this by now considering we endured a months-long delay on getting our house complete, too.

We used Savannah Scapes. Sean was always busy but reliable and true to his word. at least that was our experience when we used him 2 years ago. Good luck on your project!

Did you read the recent review on TI?

No. I haven't been on TI recently so didn't see it.

eyephone said:
Paris said:
HCM said:
Paris said:
Irvine Dream said:
bones said:
$60k for what you described seems high.  I think $50k including materials is what sounds right based on my experience.  It's also odd that the contractor doesn't include materials - does he except you to go purchase and get them to the house yourself?  I would keep looking...
Paris will disagree *(where is she bye the way/)  If OP bought a 4,000 sq ft house in Irvine, the price is greater than 1.5 million, now don't skimp on landscape, it has be atleast $100K to be neighborhood worthy.

From memory, landscaping for Capella houses with tiny lots were more than $40k

We spent $25k for landscaping including all materials and I'm very happy with the quality of work.

@ Paris:  mind if I ask who you used as your landscaper?  We received bid no. 2 and it's more in line with what we thought.  However, kind of bugs me that I was promised the estimate by this past Tuesday & I had to text the guy for the estimate on Saturday when I had not heard anything.  Already the delays begin, I guess.  I suppose I should be used to this by now considering we endured a months-long delay on getting our house complete, too.

We used Savannah Scapes. Sean was always busy but reliable and true to his word. at least that was our experience when we used him 2 years ago. Good luck on your project!

Did you read the recent review on TI?

Recent review of Savannah Scapes?  Actually, in the interest of full disclosure, the $60k estimate I received was from Sean at Savannah.  I had hoped the estimate would come out much better because of all the great reviews noted here.  But I was told that $60k + owner providing tiles + plants separately was the best estimate they could provide. 

They probably have too much work on their hands already and are not very motivated to get new jobs.

Compressed-Village said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Does anyone remember years ago when homes used to include basic front and back landscaping?

Anyone even remember Centex builder? My first new construction was by Centex basic front yard with sprinkler and grass. Backyard bare bone dirt.

I think Centex was one of the builders in West Irvine and from what I remember, basic front landscaping was included and you can pay for backyard landscaping.

I'm trying to remember, but I think William Lyon homes used to do front and back many moons ago.

We normally price our projects based off our initial free estimate.

In the Mind of Our Estimators
Our estimators go over measurements, area of landscaping, materials, and labor that is involved.

On average, $5,550 - $12,500 for good size front yard in Irvine, CA .
Drought Tolerant Landscape Design is the most popular choice.
Some of the other services we offer
Decomposed granite
Artificial Grass
Lawn Removal
Concrete Services

irvinehomeowner said:
Compressed-Village said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Does anyone remember years ago when homes used to include basic front and back landscaping?

Anyone even remember Centex builder? My first new construction was by Centex basic front yard with sprinkler and grass. Backyard bare bone dirt.

I think Centex was one of the builders in West Irvine and from what I remember, basic front landscaping was included and you can pay for backyard landscaping.

I'm trying to remember, but I think William Lyon homes used to do front and back many moons ago.

That's pretty good IHO, they build in Northpark as well. This was after West Irvine. Those days a half million dollars house get you a real nice pad. Man, our dollars what happen to it?

HCM said:
I have been interviewing landscapers about my front and back yard (5,000 sq. ft lot with a 4,000+ sq. ft house on it, so basically not much yard though likely a tad bigger than typical Irvine new builds).  Received a quote for $60k to plant some planters, install tile over concrete, and build a water wall -- but that estimate does not include ANY materials, i.e., I would need to separately purchase the tiles, plants, trees, etc. 

I've never dealt with a new build before so I don't have much context but this sounds extremely expensive considering this is 60k for basically just some yard labor?  What have others been paying for landscaping and typically do homeowners have to provide the materials separately?

General rough guide is that you should spend about 10% of the price of your home on landscaping. If you're not spending that much, you're not doing your home justice. I live in a (new at the time) community where the minimum cost of a new home was $1,000,000. One of the homes looks like they went to Home Depot and spent $5,000 on landscaping, and it shows. I can go through and tell you exactly which homes spent the necessary amount and which didn't because it shows.

NYT said:
HCM said:
I have been interviewing landscapers about my front and back yard (5,000 sq. ft lot with a 4,000+ sq. ft house on it, so basically not much yard though likely a tad bigger than typical Irvine new builds).  Received a quote for $60k to plant some planters, install tile over concrete, and build a water wall -- but that estimate does not include ANY materials, i.e., I would need to separately purchase the tiles, plants, trees, etc. 

I've never dealt with a new build before so I don't have much context but this sounds extremely expensive considering this is 60k for basically just some yard labor?  What have others been paying for landscaping and typically do homeowners have to provide the materials separately?

General rough guide is that you should spend about 10% of the price of your home on landscaping. If you're not spending that much, you're not doing your home justice. I live in a (new at the time) community where the minimum cost of a new home was $1,000,000. One of the homes looks like they went to Home Depot and spent $5,000 on landscaping, and it shows. I can go through and tell you exactly which homes spent the necessary amount and which didn't because it shows.

Hard to believe this "rule of thumb" considering the size of lots that are being subdivided in Irvine lately.  I'd say the rule of thumb is closer to 5% (for the bare minimum) and close to/over 10% if you're including a pool.

Curious, are landscaping costs coming down a bit now that the higher end new home market has cooled?  I'm thinking of redoing my front and rear yards but I'm not in any hurry.

Back