Landscaping cost

HCM said:
I have been interviewing landscapers about my front and back yard (5,000 sq. ft lot with a 4,000+ sq. ft house on it, so basically not much yard though likely a tad bigger than typical Irvine new builds).  Received a quote for $60k to plant some planters, install tile over concrete, and build a water wall -- but that estimate does not include ANY materials, i.e., I would need to separately purchase the tiles, plants, trees, etc. 

I've never dealt with a new build before so I don't have much context but this sounds extremely expensive considering this is 60k for basically just some yard labor?  What have others been paying for landscaping and typically do homeowners have to provide the materials separately?

My yard is bigger than that with about the same sized house. We spent about that but it included all hard and softscape and labor.

We took out and replaced the driveway and backyard patio. The hardscape is mostly travertine. We have a water feature with three bubbling pots (also included...?.. I think they were a few hundred? per pot) and many self watering pots thru the yard and a built in bbq with counter for chairs, planter walls in the front and back yard.

The landscaper went with us to a large contractor only nursery in SJC while we picked out plants and got a super price on the plants which included delivery.

I would get more estimates. It seems pretty high.

To the OP, I would suggest getting additional bids from recommended landscapers if you are not happy with the three you receive.  Others can give you amounts they paid but you may not be able to replicate the same landscaping at the same cost for two reasons...1)material prices have gone up; some significantly, and 2) a lot of good contractors are busy and are pricing accordingly.  I know for a fact that the same contractor will price much higher today than they did in 2014 when work was not as plentiful.

As for plant materials, most good landscape contractors will purchase the plants as they get a trade discount and that is additional profit for them.  If the contractor provides plant materials they should warranty the plants for 6-12 months.

Don't fall victim to the shoddy workmanship of cheap contractors just because the bid is the lowest.  it will cost you much more in money and aggrevation down the road to fix problems that arise.  Also make sure that the estimates contain a detailed breakdown for you to make a fair comparison between bids.  There are many contractors today who are taking on more work than they can handle, so make sure there is a clause in the contract stating how long the project will take for completion. 

Not just a clause for when it will be be completed, but a price reduction for every week that they are late. I?m guessing most won?t go for it, but if they are not lying to you then they really have no reason not to agree to it. They may pad the original completion date even more but at least you have something in writing.

irvine buyer said:
To the OP, I would suggest getting additional bids from recommended landscapers if you are not happy with the three you receive.  Others can give you amounts they paid but you may not be able to replicate the same landscaping at the same cost for two reasons...1)material prices have gone up; some significantly, and 2) a lot of good contractors are busy and are pricing accordingly.  I know for a fact that the same contractor will price much higher today than they did in 2014 when work was not as plentiful.

As for plant materials, most good landscape contractors will purchase the plants as they get a trade discount and that is additional profit for them.  If the contractor provides plant materials they should warranty the plants for 6-12 months.

Don't fall victim to the shoddy workmanship of cheap contractors just because the bid is the lowest.  it will cost you much more in money and aggrevation down the road to fix problems that arise.  Also make sure that the estimates contain a detailed breakdown for you to make a fair comparison between bids.  There are many contractors today who are taking on more work than they can handle, so make sure there is a clause in the contract stating how long the project will take for completion.

If you have a plan you like, it's easier to compare apples to apples.

Find some houses that have used the contractors and ask them if they would use them again, how they were with completing the project timewise.

Our plants were purchased fromhttp://dmcolorexpress.net/purchase/a contractor's only nursery and the only way to buy is if you are a contractor or he is actually with you. We paid by credit card directly to the nursery. I wish I could get more potting soil and mulch from them but alas no contractor.

If our contractor got some kickback, I don't know about it but the prices were excellent so we were very very happy with the plants..... from bedding plants to box trees. Excellent selection and the nursery has a person who went with us, the contractor (or helped us with suggestions, size the plants get, which varieties get bigger, sun needs etc) and tags the actual larger plants that we pick out. Took us hours to pick everything out and we had a list ahead of time, partly because the place is absolutely huge and it was alot of walking.

If you can talk your contractor into going with you, make sure you allow a LOT of time, have a list of what you want, quantities and go to the San Juan Capistrano location. The Orange location is VERY small overflow.

Ready2Downsize said:
irvine buyer said:

Find some houses that have used the contractors and ask them if they would use them again, how they were with completing the project timewise.

Our plants were purchased fromhttp://dmcolorexpress.net/purchase/a contractor's only nursery and the only way to buy is if you are a contractor or he is actually with you. We paid by credit card directly to the nursery. I wish I could get more potting soil and mulch from them but alas no contractor.

If our contractor got some kickback, I don't know about it but the prices were excellent so we were very very happy with the plants..... from bedding plants to box trees. Excellent selection and the nursery has a person who went with us, the contractor (or helped us with suggestions, size the plants get, which varieties get bigger, sun needs etc) and tags the actual larger plants that we pick out. Took us hours to pick everything out and we had a list ahead of time, partly because the place is absolutely huge and it was alot of walking.

If you can talk your contractor into going with you, make sure you allow a LOT of time, have a list of what you want, quantities and go to the San Juan Capistrano location. The Orange location is VERY small overflow.

You can buy without a contractor at the Orange location.

WTTCHMN said:
Ready2Downsize said:
irvine buyer said:

You can buy without a contractor at the Orange location.

Maybe but when I went there to see about their plants they wanted a business card as a contractor before they would "let me" look at their plants. No matter, the orange location is tiny and not worth bothering with if you're putting in new landscaping and in need of lots of plants.

I think I'll stop by and ask if I can buy mulch at their contractor price next time I go by the Orange location.

In 2012 we bought our plants from DM color express in orange without a contractor. If the orange location is small their other location must be huge.

qwerty said:
In 2012 we bought our plants from DM color express in orange without a contractor. If the orange location is small their other location must be huge.

SJC is massive.  They don?t like you looking around on your own, but you can do it on the sly.

At Orange, they don?t care and will even answer questions.  Orange is more walkable just to get the basic idea.  The best thing about DM is that they publish a list of what?s available every week so you can see what?s in stock rather than driving around aimlessly for specific varietal of plant.

WTTCHMN said:
qwerty said:

SJC is massive.  They don?t like you looking around on your own, but you can do it on the sly.

At Orange, they don?t care and will even answer questions.  Orange is more walkable just to get the basic idea.  The best thing about DM is that they publish a list of what?s available every week so you can see what?s in stock rather than driving around aimlessly for specific varietal of plant.

Both will drive you around in a golf cart but for Orange I don't know why anyone would bother. SJC doesn't look that big till u r inside the lot.

If I ever buy a place again, I'm going to make it a condition of the landscaping deal, that I want to get my plants there and if the contractor or one of his employees has to go with me they will.

eyephone said:
I guess I?m simple. I got my plants at Home Depot and Lowe?s. I planted them my self.

You weren't required to have at least one large tree (at least 24 inch box)? I guess your yard must be too small.

Compressed-Village said:
Makes me appreciate the builders and the landscapes plannings for the community after each time I talk to a contractor.
I'm legitimately surprised builders don't offer up the ability for people to do landscaping. Say, have a few basic design ideas out there and allow the builder to do it. I'd legitimately consider it as that is probably the part about a new home that I would least like to deal with (so much downside risk to me).  Obviously builders could get a mark-up as the work is really not that complex....so much mark-up in landscaping that i shocks me builders don't do it (maybe because it adds too much time to the "closing"). 

Bullsback said:
Compressed-Village said:
Makes me appreciate the builders and the landscapes plannings for the community after each time I talk to a contractor.
I'm legitimately surprised builders don't offer up the ability for people to do landscaping. Say, have a few basic design ideas out there and allow the builder to do it. I'd legitimately consider it as that is probably the part about a new home that I would least like to deal with (so much downside risk to me).  Obviously builders could get a mark-up as the work is really not that complex....so much mark-up in landscaping that i shocks me builders don't do it (maybe because it adds too much time to the "closing").

Interesting ideas and can be lucrative to the builders bottom line. The issues may lies with new homeowner change their design ideas, change material selections and drag out the completion date. Honestly, we changed our design at least 7 times and we drove our contractor nut. If closing can done independently of landscapes then I think when times are lean builder will pursue it. They might include basic landscapes or they will go into this to get buyers to buy with less headache and more assurance. And add to their profit.

Bullsback said:
Compressed-Village said:

Brookfield offered this in an attached tract in PS. It was one simple design - nothing fancy. Paved the patio space and planted. A handful of people opted for it. I think it works for homes with a small patio space that is pretty congruous from house to house. Harder to do when there?s different lot sizes involved.

Also IIRC, it was $10-15k for a small space and you can def get a better ?look? on your own after close for the same price.

Paris said:
Irvine Dream said:
bones said:
$60k for what you described seems high.  I think $50k including materials is what sounds right based on my experience.  It's also odd that the contractor doesn't include materials - does he except you to go purchase and get them to the house yourself?  I would keep looking...
Paris will disagree *(where is she bye the way/)  If OP bought a 4,000 sq ft house in Irvine, the price is greater than 1.5 million, now don't skimp on landscape, it has be atleast $100K to be neighborhood worthy.

From memory, landscaping for Capella houses with tiny lots were more than $40k

We spent $25k for landscaping including all materials and I'm very happy with the quality of work.

@ Paris:  mind if I ask who you used as your landscaper?  We received bid no. 2 and it's more in line with what we thought.  However, kind of bugs me that I was promised the estimate by this past Tuesday & I had to text the guy for the estimate on Saturday when I had not heard anything.  Already the delays begin, I guess.  I suppose I should be used to this by now considering we endured a months-long delay on getting our house complete, too. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Does anyone remember years ago when homes used to include basic front and back landscaping?

Anyone even remember Centex builder? My first new construction was by Centex basic front yard with sprinkler and grass. Backyard bare bone dirt.

HCM said:
Paris said:
Irvine Dream said:
bones said:
$60k for what you described seems high.  I think $50k including materials is what sounds right based on my experience.  It's also odd that the contractor doesn't include materials - does he except you to go purchase and get them to the house yourself?  I would keep looking...
Paris will disagree *(where is she bye the way/)  If OP bought a 4,000 sq ft house in Irvine, the price is greater than 1.5 million, now don't skimp on landscape, it has be atleast $100K to be neighborhood worthy.

We spent $25k for landscaping including all materials and I'm very happy with the quality of work.

@ Paris:  mind if I ask who you used as your landscaper?  We received bid no. 2 and it's more in line with what we thought.  However, kind of bugs me that I was promised the estimate by this past Tuesday & I had to text the guy for the estimate on Saturday when I had not heard anything.  Already the delays begin, I guess.  I suppose I should be used to this by now considering we endured a months-long delay on getting our house complete, too.

We used Savannah Scapes. Sean was always busy but reliable and true to his word. at least that was our experience when we used him 2 years ago. Good luck on your project!

Paris said:
HCM said:
Paris said:
Irvine Dream said:
bones said:

We used Savannah Scapes. Sean was always busy but reliable and true to his word. at least that was our experience when we used him 2 years ago. Good luck on your project!

Did you read the recent review on TI?

Back