Lakers News

So is DJ all that's left? It's leftovers time.

It will be like 3 years in a row since #stayd12 that the Lakers can't sign a big name free agent?

And no ps9, Lin was neither a big name or a free agent.

Maybe LBJ is going to be a Laker?

#yaliumiracle

bones said:
jmoney74 said:
bones said:
eyephone said:
eyephone said:
I think I'm getting sick, not because of the flu.

Is it the presentation?

Maybe they need to bring a championship trophy to the presentation.

Maybe have the Lakers Girls there. Have Rick Fox there to talk about life after being a Lakers. (Easy transition to entertainment)

Because right now whatever they are doing it's now working.

I just read a tweet, the Lakers presentation was heavy on the off court opportunities, and another tweet that it was not Kobe talking that turn people off, it's the organization inabilty to connect with the players.

Lame. Don't they understand that you no longer need to be in Los Angeles (or any big market) to have a brand and be successful?

Not necessarily.. LA guys will usually get more money.. unless you are Lebron.  However, Lamarcus will get more money here for ads than most other cities other than NYC.

LaMarcus probably already had his mind made up about SA.. but hearing about what Kobe said to him is a turnoff. 

There's that LA logic that gets the Lakers nowhere.  You don't NEED to be in a big market to get big endorsement deals.  What you do need is success.  KD in OKC proves that.

Edit: Carmelo has 15 sponsors, the most in the NBA probably b/c he plays in the biggest market, according to this article (http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/07/30/10-nba-players-with-most-endorsement-deals/) but those 15 sponsors only add up to $9M total.  Now if he actually played on a successful team.....

this time that wasn't the issue though.. it was Kobe's logic.. you play second fiddle to him.  So not only will you be getting less from endorsements because you're number 2.. but you're going to feel like you have to cater to Kobe the whole year.  Good grief.. hopefully these rookes can play well this year and get KD up in here.

Maybe. maybe not. But the point I'm trying to make is: the lakers are overselling the "big market = more $$$ & more opportunities" when 1) it's not true and 2) that doesn't matter when you don't win.  Why would KD come here?  Hes already top 2 in endorsement money.

bones said:
Maybe. maybe not. But the point I'm trying to make is: the lakers are overselling the "big market = more $$$ & more opportunities" when 1) it's not true and 2) that doesn't matter when you don't win.  Why would KD come here?  Hes already top 2 in endorsement money.

Why would anyone go anywhere else?  Lakers still have some lure.. not like before but they will eventually come back.  They need to get this team better.. and have Kobe off the team.  Also, people still love living in So Cal.

More money and more opportunities is true.. .because LA is not KD.. nor will he ever be.  There a only a few players that can command endorsements like that. 

jmoney74 said:
bones said:

Why would anyone go anywhere else?  Lakers still have some lure.. not like before but they will eventually come back.  They need to get this team better.. and have Kobe off the team.  Also, people still love living in So Cal.

More money and more opportunities is true.. .because LA is not KD.. nor will he ever be.  There a only a few players that can command endorsements like that. 

Well good luck with that. Everyone and their mother wants KD and based on the recent laker track record in attracting free agents, I would hold off on naming your kid KD or getting a KD tat.

bones said:
jmoney74 said:
bones said:

Well good luck with that. Everyone and their mother wants KD and based on the recent laker track record in attracting free agents, I would hold off on naming your kid KD or getting a KD tat.

I'm done with kids.. and yes I have the wishful thinking for KD.  I think the big downfall was the loss of Jerry Buss.  Such a playboy and he really just sold the image based on his life.  His son is not like that and his daughter is more of a business person.  Would like to see some of that swagger come back.. but we need to win again.  Probably will have to do it via draft and mid level FA signings. 

eyephone said:
Players still out
1. DJ
2. Tobias Harris

is Tobias any good?

DJ is going to be a Mav.  Him and Chandler parsons have been hanging out every night. 

bones said:
Prob need to get a new coach too to attract KD. Right?

probably.. Tim Tib?  I think the Lakers will have more pull once Kobe leaves.  He still wants to be top dawg this year but he's on his last leg.  That turns players off. 

Lakers are in a bind. They need Kobe to drive ticket and merchandise sales when they are rebuilding, and they also want to show future FAs that they take care off their franchise players when they get old and near retirement.

But Kobe is a me first player and can longer stay healthy and be dominant. For FAs worth max contract, they will not come to LA to be Kobe's second fiddle and endure a couple of losing seasons.

LA better preserves the cap space this year by not overpaying and sticking to short term deals and once Kobe is gone, they can sign a couple max players to pair with their young core of Randle, Clarkson and Russell.

Goal for 2015-2016 is to tank for the top 3 pick.

The California Court Company said:
Lakers are in a bind. They need Kobe to drive ticket and merchandise sales when they are rebuilding, and they also want to show future FAs that they take care off their franchise players when they get old and near retirement.

But Kobe is a me first player and can longer stay healthy and be dominant. For FAs worth max contract, they will not come to LA to be Kobe's second fiddle and endure a couple of losing seasons.

LA better preserves the cap space this year by not overpaying and sticking to short term deals and once Kobe is gone, they can sign a couple max players to pair with their young core of Randle, Clarkson and Russell.

Goal for 2015-2016 is to tank for the top 3 pick.

we need to be top 3 right.. or lose it to the suns?  I hope this team can somehow slip into the middle rounds.. the pick wouldn't hurt that much.

So for yaliu the Kobe lover who doesn't think Kobe is the problem, contrast the Lakers' inability to acquire free agents to the Spurs... Dwight left, Pau left... Duncan stays, Kawhi stays, Green stays.

irvinehomeowner said:
So for yaliu the Kobe lover who doesn't think Kobe is the problem, contrast the Lakers' inability to acquire free agents to the Spurs... Dwight left, Pau left... Duncan stays, Kawhi stays, Green stays.

kobehater...  :)

Back