Lakers News

irvinehomeowner said:
This is for Yaliu:

In the 1984 draft, 2 bigs were picked first, Hakeem and Sam Bowie.

Hakeem was good, won 2 rings but no one knows what happened to Sam Bowie.

Who was the #3 pick after those 2 bigs?

In Yaliu's absense:

MJ

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
This is for Yaliu:

In the 1984 draft, 2 bigs were picked first, Hakeem and Sam Bowie.

Hakeem was good, won 2 rings but no one knows what happened to Sam Bowie.

Who was the #3 pick after those 2 bigs?

In Yaliu's absense:

MJ

What does that to do with this draft though? 

The California Court Company said:
it means the last draft where you have two stud bigs, 1 stud wing, and their projected order is 1 2 3, #2 or the second big is going to be bust

Wondering if this is the right play again.  Bowie wasn't that great in college but they pumped him up since big men were the prize of the draft.  different date in time now.. you take best available play in the top 10. 

there is always a chance your draft pick is going to be a bust.  for example, michael olowokandi, kwame brown, greg oden...  however, if you are LUCKY, then you just build your dynasty....  for example, tim duncan, Shaq.  it is much easier to build dynasty with big man...  just my 2cents.

yaliu07 said:
there is always a chance your draft pick is going to be a bust.  for example, michael olowokandi, kwame brown, greg oden...  however, if you are LUCKY, then you just build your dynasty....  for example, tim duncan, Shaq.  it is much easier to build dynasty with big man...  just my 2cents.

Yaliu.. I agree with you.. 100%.  However, Okafor is not even in that realm.  I would say Towns has a good shot at it.

if you are great big man you will probably win a title. if you are a great gaurd/forward it is a crowded field. Many great gaurd/forwards have not won titles, yet every great big man has won a title with the exception of perhaps Ewing. having a dominant big man that can draw a double team is a huge asset vs a wing player that can draw a double team. Every team shaq went to (with the exception of when he was dead man walking at the end of his career) he turned into a title contender becauase of all of the open looks he created for his teammates from the inside out.  if he turns out to be great its gauranteed titles.

qwerty said:
if you are great big man you will probably win a title. if you are a great gaurd/forward it is a crowded field. Many great gaurd/forwards have not won titles, yet every great big man has won a title with the exception of perhaps Ewing. having a dominant big man that can draw a double team is a huge asset vs a wing player that can draw a double team. Every team shaq went to (with the exception of when he was dead man walking at the end of his career) he turned into a title contender becauase of all of the open looks he created for his teammates from the inside out.

I just don't see any greatness in Okafur. 

jmoney74 said:
qwerty said:
if you are great big man you will probably win a title. if you are a great gaurd/forward it is a crowded field. Many great gaurd/forwards have not won titles, yet every great big man has won a title with the exception of perhaps Ewing. having a dominant big man that can draw a double team is a huge asset vs a wing player that can draw a double team. Every team shaq went to (with the exception of when he was dead man walking at the end of his career) he turned into a title contender becauase of all of the open looks he created for his teammates from the inside out.

I just don't see any greatness in Okafur. 

i agree, im just saying that is why teams take a chance on the big guys.

The California Court Company said:
it means the last draft where you have two stud bigs, 1 stud wing, and their projected order is 1 2 3, #2 or the second big is going to be bust

It can really go either way:
2006: 1 - Bargnani, 2 - Aldridge, 3- Morrison,  #2 is a superstar, #1 and #3 are bust
But 2009:  1- Blake, 2- Thabeet, 3 - Harden

qwerty said:
if you are great big man you will probably win a title. if you are a great gaurd/forward it is a crowded field. Many great gaurd/forwards have not won titles, yet every great big man has won a title with the exception of perhaps Ewing. having a dominant big man that can draw a double team is a huge asset vs a wing player that can draw a double team. Every team shaq went to (with the exception of when he was dead man walking at the end of his career) he turned into a title contender becauase of all of the open looks he created for his teammates from the inside out.  if he turns out to be great its gauranteed titles.

No bigs

Warriors,
Miami Heat (James, Wade, Bosh)

eyephone said:
qwerty said:

No bigs

Warriors,
Miami Heat (James, Wade, Bosh)

i am not saying you need bigs to win a title. im saying as a great wing player it is harder to win titles than a a great big man.a great big man is guaranteed titles, a great gaurd/forward does not guarantee titles.

I think the reason teams go for big is because there are few quality big men.  If you look at current NBA rosters, the big men skill level significantly drop once you counted the few quality big.  On the other hand, for wing player, even if you miss the top players, there are still a lot of players available with great skills that is just a few notch lower skills-wise that you can build your team from.

The rules just cater towards the wing player NBA... NBA has been trying to go that route ever since Jordan.  Wonder if they will eventually change  the rules back to even things out a bit.. the lack of star power is evident. 

jmoney74 said:
The rules just cater towards the wing player NBA... NBA has been trying to go that route ever since Jordan.  Wonder if they will eventually change  the rules back to even things out a bit.. the lack of star power is evident.

Partly true but also partly because current big doesn't really have good post-up move that can consistently punish opponent if they play small ball.  If Shaq or Olajuwon at their prime would be playing today, I doubt GS can win with just putting Draymond Green to cover them.

yaliu07 said:
Okafor is more like Kandiman, Kwame Hands of Stone and Oden Knees of Glass.

He is not Shaq or Duncan... not even close.

A big is decent if they can play defense (like DeAndre Jordan)... that is also not Okafor.

Just my opinion.

irvinehomeowner said:
yaliu07 said:
Okafor is more like Kandiman, Kwame Hands of Stone and Oden Knees of Glass.

He is not Shaq or Duncan... not even close.

A big is decent if they can play defense (like DeAndre Jordan)... that is also not Okafor.

Just my opinion.

But looks like Celtics disagree with you.  Not sure though why they don't just give the "Godfather" offer to the Lakers to get Okafor ... I guess just old time rivalries :)

Update, 12:57 p.m. ? Celtics ready ?Godfather? offer to get Okafor
Jahlil Okafor is apparently someone the Celtics have a very high opinion of, if you believe the latest buzz. According to Mike Cole of NESN.com, the Celtics have a ?Godfather? offer ready for the 76ers if Okafor doesn?t go No. 1 or No. 2 ?

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
ps9 said:

I support Okafor is we get can Lamarcus.  That is a formidable line up. If not, I'd go with Russell.

Russell has more upside than Okafor. Also, ESPN's statistical plus minus (spm) gives Russsell a higher percentage for him to be a super star out of the top 4 nba projects.
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/106822/the-reasons-analytics-love-dangelo-russell

Lakers select Russell.

:)

Heh... so now what are the 76ers going to do with Embiid?

So... uh... Yaliu... Magic may agree with you, but looks like the Lakers and most other analysts agreed with me.

Back