Lakers News

Sorry yaliu... many analysts (coaches and players with more recent experience than Magic and are actually involved with the NBA right now, not with the Dodgers), rate Towns higher than Okafor and even Russell at #2 (check out Chad Ford on ESPN).

If you listen to ESPN radio, most of the guys there are not sure about Okafor for the Lakers, and those guys are more in tune with the current Laker organization and the state of the NBA than Magic.

And it's just common sense, bigs are risky in both development and health. When you look at the "greatest player of all time" arguments for the modern NBA, who are the top 3? Not bigs.

irvinehomeowner said:
Sorry yaliu... many analysts (coaches and players with more recent experience than Magic and are actually involved with the NBA right now, not with the Dodgers), rate Towns higher than Okafor and even Russell at #2 (check out Chad Ford on ESPN).

If you listen to ESPN radio, most of the guys there are not sure about Okafor for the Lakers, and those guys are more in tune with the current Laker organization and the state of the NBA than Magic.

And it's just common sense, bigs are risky in both development and health. When you look at the "greatest player of all time" arguments for the modern NBA, who are the top 3? Not bigs.

I agree in a sense.. but Russell is not like a second coming of MJ, LJB, Kobe, or Magic.  I would take Towns, but he wont' be there.. so I'd take Russell over Okafor. 

BET with IHO.....

Lakers takes Town/Okafor, I win.
Lakers takes everybody else, IHO win.

Prize: Pride...

@IHO, sounds fair to you?

yaliu07 said:
BET with IHO.....

Lakers takes Town/Okafor, I win.
Lakers takes everybody else, IHO win.

Prize: Pride...

@IHO, sounds fair to you?
You aren't understanding my posts.

I don't think the Lakers should draft Okafor, I would rather they draft Towns if they had a choice (because Towns is more like a stretch 4).

But that doesn't mean I think the Lakers won't draft Okafor.

The bet would be, who becomes a better player in their first 2-3 years, Okafor or Towns/Russell.

I think the latter 2 will be better.

jmoney74 said:
I agree in a sense.. but Russell is not like a second coming of MJ, LJB, Kobe, or Magic.  I would take Towns, but he wont' be there.. so I'd take Russell over Okafor. 
Same here.

What I meant is that the NBA is a 1-4 league now, not a 5, so you would get more out of guard than a center. And even then, not a PG, but a wing.

Funny, ESPN radio is talking about the same subject.

And while they bring up good examples like Mark Gasol and Al Horford, is MEM or ATL in the finals right now?

I think MEM would actually be better if they kept Gay. Isn't CHI better because of Butler, not necessarily Rose? IND needed Paul George. OKC is nothing without Westbrook or Durant.

Granted, a big helps, but in this 3-pt shooting era with hands off the players, small ball just seems like the way to go.

According to Lakers Nation: Jimmy Butler has "increased interest" signing with the lakers.

But we all know he is a restricted free agent.

eyephone said:
According to Lakers Nation: Jimmy Butler has "increased interest" signing with the lakers.

But we all know he is a restricted free agent.

I sure hope so. 

So what will it be TI Laker nation.. who are we picking in the draft?  I think I'm going to cringe if it's Okafur. 

Yaliu - in regards to your question, who do you think the Lakers pick #2. I say no to Okafor. It will be a bad idea since Randal and Okafor are not known for their defense. If Towns not available, I believe the Lakers should draft Russell.

Just imagine Russell and Clarkson the future backcourt for the Lakers.

AW said:
He'd be good if he keeps his head in the game, and not go bat crazy like artest

I don't think the Lakers should trade for cousins. I think they want #2 pick, Randall, Clarkson and possibly future picks for Cousins.

(2 much)

jmoney74 said:
ps9 said:

I support Okafor is we get can Lamarcus.  That is a formidable line up. If not, I'd go with Russell.

Russell has more upside than Okafor. Also, ESPN's statistical plus minus (spm) gives Russsell a higher percentage for him to be a super star out of the top 4 nba projects.
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/106822/the-reasons-analytics-love-dangelo-russell

This is for Yaliu:

In the 1984 draft, 2 bigs were picked first, Hakeem and Sam Bowie.

Hakeem was good, won 2 rings but no one knows what happened to Sam Bowie.

Who was the #3 pick after those 2 bigs?

Back