Laguna Altura in 2011

markspitz11 said:
I'm not going to buy, because I don't want to live inside a bowl!
sgip said:
Hope that wall at Laguna Altera is pretty high since your new neighbors might be tempted to drop on by unannounced.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

When the Irvine zombies go on attack, that high wall and bowl design will be well worth the $200K premium!

iacrenter said:
markspitz11 said:
I'm not going to buy, because I don't want to live inside a bowl!
sgip said:
Hope that wall at Laguna Altera is pretty high since your new neighbors might be tempted to drop on by unannounced.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

When the Irvine zombies go on attack, that high wall and bowl design will be well worth the $200K premium!

Or it could be the perfect death trap.

In the history of war, many have fallen behind the false pretense of a "defensible position", the Romans before the Goths, the Byzantines at Constantinople, and the Persians facing the Mongols. Against an incessant enemy who will not succumb to injury, whose moral cannot be seized, and will not show quarter, the term "defensible position" loses all meaning.

Based on my visual inspection of Laguna Altura, there is very little tillable land which will lead to food production problems. Also, no close source of fresh water, if the water mains are interrupted, it could be a slow march to death for those trapped inside the bowl. There is the small chance of escape into the unpopulated hills of the nature reserve near the 133, but only a competent captain could hope to lead a large band of survivors unharmed in the open.

is anybody in this forum considering buying in Laguna Altura? I get the sense that every person who is posting has no intention of buying there and is just pointing out all the bad things about it (including some of my own comments).

Like scfan said, if you're looking in the $1mil range, the SFRs are not that far off from any SFR you can find in QH. While it's subjective on whether or not they are better than Tapestry, they are certainly an improvement over Olivos and much cheaper than Chantilly, Sienna and Vicara.

I would have bought one of the bigger detached condos if the floorplan was better... but they are not and thus even if they were priced the same as their Stonegate twins, I probably would still not be able to pull the trigger because the living space is not functional enough for my family.

This is where iPac failed a bit... while they improved the Cortona plans over their Maricopa counterparts they mostly left the 2 detached condos the same where they should have modified something to justify the premium other than the gate and location.

irvinehomeowner said:
Like scfan said, if you're looking in the $1mil range, the SFRs are not that far off from any SFR you can find in QH. While it's subjective on whether or not they are better than Tapestry, they are certainly an improvement over Olivos and much cheaper than Chantilly, Sienna and Vicara.

I would have bought one of the bigger detached condos if the floorplan was better... but they are not and thus even if they were priced the same as their Stonegate twins, I probably would still not be able to pull the trigger because the living space is not functional enough for my family.

This is where iPac failed a bit... while they improved the Cortona plans over their Maricopa counterparts they mostly left the 2 detached condos the same where they should have modified something to justify the premium other than the gate and location.

I'm looking in the 600-800K range.

There are some detached condos in QH for $700k... the floor plans are nominally better than LA (some have upstairs lofts and laundries with sinks but the downstairs don't really have that kitchen great room combo).

irvinehomeowner said:
There are some detached condos in QH for $700k... the floor plans are nominally better than LA (some have upstairs lofts and laundries with sinks but the downstairs don't really have that kitchen great room combo).
Linden Plan 3 (2,057sf) has the best floor plan of all the detached condos in QH.  They go in the low $800k, like the one below:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/14-Coriander-92603/home/5945631

IndiDev that's a crack up of a post. I don't see a zombie hoard shuffling over the hills. Perhaps the departed souls of Lion Country Safari coming up from the grave to stalk their newly moved in FCB prey. Sort of like a "Ghost in the Darkness" meets TIC kind of
event.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116409/plotsummary

My .02c

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Linden Plan 3 (2,057sf) has the best floor plan of all the detached condos in QH.  They go in the low $800k, like the one below:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/14-Coriander-92603/home/5945631

I actually like Linden Plan 1 w/ the 4th bedroom option.  It might be smallish, but it's very efficient and has a long driveway.

Lindens are closer to zero lot line SFRs than detached condos.

The $700k detached condos I'm talking about are either Soltice, Laurel and one or two of the Ivy Wreath models.

sgip said:
IndiDev that's a crack up of a post. I don't see a zombie hoard shuffling over the hills. Perhaps the departed souls of Lion Country Safari coming up from the grave to stalk their newly moved in FCB prey. Sort of like a "Ghost in the Darkness" meets TIC kind of
event.

My .02c

You people buying KB, or IrvinePacific built homes will be in for a rude awakening when the stucco plaster mesh breaks down under the weight of thousands of hungry undead cannibals. Hopefully your HOA is well prepared.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Linden Plan 3 (2,057sf) has the best floor plan of all the detached condos in QH.
I prefer Linden Plan 4, don't like the separate garages of Plan 3 and Plan 4 has the most SFR-like feel with multiple living spaces and even a loft upstairs.

IndieDev said:
sgip said:
event.

My .02c

You people buying KB, or IrvinePacific built homes will be in for a rude awakening when the stucco plaster mesh breaks down under the weight of thousands of hungry undead cannibals. Hopefully your HOA is well prepared.
Are you putting iPac construction quality on par with that of KB?

USCTrojanCPA said:
IndieDev said:
sgip said:
event.

My .02c

To be honest, none of the current TIC builders have built homes that could even stand up to a small isolated incident, let alone a global apocalyptic event.

Things lacking from all the new builders:
- Internal hydroponics room for growing food with little need for soil or natural light.
- Water purification chamber for cleaning brown/black water.
- Reinforced triangular bastions to give defenders the ability to concentrate fire power upon large hordes
- 5ft wide, 3 ft deep defensive moat filled with diesel fuel, and the ability to quickly light it from behind fortifications
- Underground tunnel that extends 2,000 yards away from the property for quick escape in case of failure of defensive fortifications

Instead of that, they give you a "California room", which is an inherent defensive liability in a siege type situation.

I mean, I could go on and on, but these builders don't have a clue. I really hope at the very least the hired rent-a-cop is trained to kill with his bare hands or a stick, once the ammo runs out.

IndieDev said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
IndieDev said:
sgip said:
event.

My .02c

To be honest, none of the current TIC builders have built homes that could even stand up to a small isolated incident, let alone a global apocalyptic event.

Things lacking from all the new builders:
- Internal hydroponics room for growing food with little need for soil or natural light.
- Water purification chamber for cleaning brown/black water.
- Reinforced triangular bastions to give defenders the ability to concentrate fire power upon large hordes
- 5ft wide, 3 ft deep defensive moat filled with diesel fuel, and the ability to quickly light it from behind fortifications
- Underground tunnel that extends 2,000 yards away from the property for quick escape in case of failure of defensive fortifications

Instead of that, they give you a "California room", which is an inherent defensive liability in a siege type situation.

I mean, I could go on and on, but these builders don't have a clue. I really hope at the very least the hired rent-a-cop is trained to kill with his bare hands or a stick, once the ammo runs out.

Yes, I agree, in the event of a zompoc or any other end of the world scenario, water is a must.  I was thinking of installing a hand pump water well in the small side patio of my brand new detached condo but any where near the old el toro base will probably have some contaminated water underground (not to mention the HOA restrictions)...best defense if you are living in Irvine is to bug out to a location near safe water, etc...  :)

kayochan said:
... any where near the old el toro base will probably have some contaminated water underground... 
So according to test, "all of Woodbridge" is toast too.

Wouldn't this make WBE ideal since they have that huge water tank next to them? Even Portola for that matter?

Other than an elevated location next to a lake, I think being on cliffs near the ocean would work... steady food supply as long as the sea life isn't zombtaminated, you could desalinate sea water and you only have to worry about attacks from one side (unless zeds learn how to swim or can walk underwater). No wonder ocean-front property is so expensive... it's that z-premium.

Starlight East said:
sgip said:
Was chatting with a close friend employed by one of the utility companies TIC works closely with. Once this Summer season passes Wild Rivers is going to be scraped off the property. They are expecting to put 1700 or so apartment units at that spot. My neighbor and some TIC folks are going over maps and grading next week.

That's too bad. I was just driving by Wild Rivers last Saturday and told my kid that we will go there maybe next year when he's older. Is it to late to start a petition to save Wild Rivers and to bring back the Lion Safari Club? Irvine needs some tourist attractions too, not just new homes. 

This is Irvine.  The new homes are the tourist attractions.  ;)

Starlight East said:
sgip said:
Was chatting with a close friend employed by one of the utility companies TIC works closely with. Once this Summer season passes Wild Rivers is going to be scraped off the property. They are expecting to put 1700 or so apartment units at that spot. My neighbor and some TIC folks are going over maps and grading next week.

That's too bad. I was just driving by Wild Rivers last Saturday and told my kid that we will go there maybe next year when he's older. Is it to late to start a petition to save Wild Rivers and to bring back the Lion Safari Club? Irvine needs some tourist attractions too, not just new homes.

I hope they plan on widening the 405 again to handle all the extra traffic load from those apartments, LA, and all the eventual Great Park homes.  Traffic will be horrendous with several thousand more cars on the road at rush hour.  Traffic around Irvine on the freeways are bad enough already.

Lion Country Safari... the memories.

Reminds me, need to take the kids to San Diego Wild Animal... err... Zoo Safari Park. At least I don't have to worry about the mini-van getting mauled by a lion.

Back