Laguna Altura in 2011

Yikes, the prices are really high! Even worse, the tax+MR+association fee is almost 20K/yr! and this is for motor court homes. This is discouraging.

Does anyone know who has the best 15-year-fixed loan rates with 0 points these days? I think WF is the official preferred lender.

And how much do you think these houses will appreciate in price in 10 years?

Lastly, does anyone have updates on the wall they are building around the complex?? Will there be a wall around the whole place? That would be a turnoff for me.

@Mark:

1. If the community is gated... I assume the wall has to go around the whole place or that would defeat the purpose.

2. The trend for Irvine Pacific Phase 1 homes are to be higher than the base models since they will be pre-configured with upgrades. But I agree that low $700ks is quite a bit off from mid $600ks. Just remember, iPac can change the pricing to whatever they want (although awgee would disagree with that).

3. No one could know what will happen in 10 years. We might all be fighting off zombies and even the Shady homes will be worth nothing (other than their intrinsic value of being more defensible due to the higher elevation and gates).

markspitz11 said:
Yikes, the prices are really high! Even worse, the tax+MR+association fee is almost 20K/yr! and this is for motor court homes. This is discouraging.

Does anyone know who has the best 15-year-fixed loan rates with 0 points these days? I think WF is the official preferred lender.

And how much do you think these houses will appreciate in price in 10 years?

Lastly, does anyone have updates on the wall they are building around the complex?? Will there be a wall around the whole place? That would be a turnoff for me.
With the noise bleed level of prices along with the jab of the high Mello Roos and HOA, add to that landscaping costs and upgrade costs too.  There is a lot more downside risk to prices and upside appreciation in my opinon.  Like I said, I would hands down pick a Quail Hill home over one in Laguna Altura. 

irvinehomeowner said:
3. No one could know what will happen in 10 years. We might all be fighting off zombies and even the Shady homes will be worth nothing (other than their intrinsic value of being more defensible due to the higher elevation and gates).

Shady Canyon may also have more tillable land than say Woodbury because of all the green belt action around there. This can't be ignored when choosing a defensible enclave during World War Z.

Does anyone know a good place to park the car and do a mini hike around the Laguna Altura contruction site this weekend? I know how to do the walking around part, but need a place to park! I'm assuming the construction guys are not there on the weekends?

Attachments

• LA.jpg
    LA.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 252
irvinehomeowner said:
Construction guys are there on Saturday... and security guys are there both days (I tried on a Sunday about a month ago).

Yeah, but isn't there a "back way", i.e. to not enter from the official gate area, but from one of the hillsides? I imagine there are only 1 or 2 security guides at the front gate on Sundays to prevent cars/people from entering the site. Just thinking outside the box... 

I guess you can try to go to the end of Lake Forest from the Lake Forest side... or park at Wild Rivers or the Verizon Amphitheater and practice your hiking and rock climbing skills.

The only concern is that if the guards are also patrolling the homes, did Bren issue a shoot on sight directive?  :p

saw it! the biggest disappointment is that there is a big wall of dirt (about 25-30 feet high) around the whole complex so none of the houses will have any views, because the wall is as high as the roof of the houses. it's like a big 30-foot deep pit with houses being built inside it, such bad use of an elevated platform which could have had houses with fantastic views, were it not for the wall.

I noticed that too... it's not really like elevated lots as it's almost just a plateau for the entire 'hood. I think some of the homes on the edges may have a small view.

So what method did you use? Did you go Italian Job, Mission Impossible or Coffee+Donut style?

The huge mounds of dirt are on the N/E sides, to block the aural assault of freeway noise from the 405 and 5 fwys, respectively.

The hill towards the south is natural, but blocks any ocean breeze that might waft up laguna canyon.

The only open view is towards the 133 fwy, but I expect that there will be the 15 foot wall there, so no view.

I wonder if it will be hot inside that bowl, with no breeze?

Haha, I went Jason Bourne style... It's a platform, but there is a thick wall of dirt (as high as the roof of the houses) almost all the way around and where there's no wall, there's a big hill. So it looks like a big bowl with houses inside it. Here's a panoramic:

Attachments

• la-pan.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 813
Looks like you were camped out at my QH spot.

I dunno... it will be real interesting to see how fast these sell and if they can keep up those high prices.

markspitz11 said:
the photo was taken standing on one of the hills/walls. QH is in the distance. Irvine Spectrum is behind me.
Ah... that makes more sense... the sun is setting... duh.

Now you should really impress us by getting into the top secret complex and taking microfiche photos of the blueprints... err... models.

[This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds]

the plan 3s in cortona and toscana are actually not bad values compared to available homes in quail hill.  i too prefer quail hill's location and lower taxes/hoa but for brand new with more updated family rooms and kitchens - actually the plans in general are quite a bit better than the likes of olivos and tapestry for similar money.  i think they even compare favorably to the sienna homes which are typically priced higher at 1.3-1.4M (slightly larger homes on slightly larger lots).

they are not on lots as nice or large as vicara but then again they are quite a bit less money.

bren isn't hurting for cash - you watch, he's going to get his price on these - many don't want to live in the northern flatlands and are willing to pay for southern location/gated.

i can't speak for any of the motorcourt homes in any of their projects - i am not a fan of homes without driveways or some backyard.  i also much prefer 3 or even 4 car garages.

Was chatting with a close friend employed by one of the utility companies TIC works closely with. Once this Summer season passes Wild Rivers is going to be scraped off the property. They are expecting to put 1700 or so apartment units at that spot. My neighbor and some TIC folks are going over maps and grading next week.

Hope that wall at Laguna Altera is pretty high since your new neighbors might be tempted to drop on by unannounced.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

Back