Laguna Altura in 2011

bookworm said:
We were at Siena a week before the price drop and a week after the price drop (last Sunday) and noticed there was no increase in the number of sold buttons - only 3 sold buttons as of last Sunday morning (same number of sold button as picture on Siena sales board from USCTrojanCPA dated June 26, '11 - before the price drop).  Looks like the inventory is not moving as fast as TIC has hoped with the price drop.  Wondering if the same is happening at other Laguna Altura communities - San Remo, Cortona, etc.. ?

Cortona Phase 1 is sold-out but for one house as of Sunday. However, they had only sold one in Toscana as of Sunday.

zakami said:
bookworm said:
We were at Siena a week before the price drop and a week after the price drop (last Sunday) and noticed there was no increase in the number of sold buttons - only 3 sold buttons as of last Sunday morning (same number of sold button as picture on Siena sales board from USCTrojanCPA dated June 26, '11 - before the price drop).  Looks like the inventory is not moving as fast as TIC has hoped with the price drop.  Wondering if the same is happening at other Laguna Altura communities - San Remo, Cortona, etc.. ?

Cortona Phase 1 is sold-out but for one house as of Sunday. However, they had only sold one in Toscana as of Sunday.

How come USC's pic only shows 3 sold then?

frank69m said:
zakami said:
bookworm said:

I don't know. I saw 6 or 7 pins in Cortona on Sunday at about 5 PM. I didn't pay attention but the sales rep said they only have one house available in Phase 1.

frank69m said:
zakami said:
bookworm said:

I snapped that picture back on Sunday, June 26th (before the price drop).  There were 4 homes that had a SOLD button next to them.  If they have only 1 remaining home for sale in Phase 1 that means they sold 3 more homes between then and now (there were 8 homes in Phase 1).

Interesting.  Looks like the price drop is not having any impact on Toscana or Siena.  If only 1 unit of Toscana has been sold even with the price drop, it is probably still not priced right.  Same with Siena - given there are no new sales a week after the $40K-$50K price drop (same 3 "SOLD" buttons), TIC has not found the pricing sweet spot yet.  Wondering how San Remo is doing?

bookworm said:
Interesting.  Looks like the price drop is not having any impact on Toscana or Siena.  If only 1 unit of Toscana has been sold even with the price drop, it is probably still not priced right.  Same with Siena - given there are no new sales a week after the $40K-$50K price drop (same 3 "SOLD" buttons), TIC has not found the pricing sweet spot yet.  Wondering how San Remo is doing?

Would you pay over a million to live in a wok and have small yards and 10 feet between you and your neighbor? The IC doesn't get it yet.

frank69m said:
Would you pay over a million to live in a wok and have small yards and 10 feet between you and your neighbor? The IC doesn't get it yet.
Didn't people do that at Ladera Ranch?

(apologies in advance to LR residents)

irvinehomeowner said:
frank69m said:
Didn't people do that at Ladera Ranch?

(apologies in advance to LR residents)

The new LR houses that were over a mil when we looked in 2004-2005 had decent size lots and didnt feel as cramped as LA.  Plus driving into LR is very nice and scenic while LA has nothing.  I really am amazed that they didnt add more green spaces and more parks.  It really feels like a middle class neighborhood but marketed as luxury. 

Those who did buy LR at $1m now find themselves short selling at $700k, competing against REOS in the $650k range.  20/20 hindsight though doesn't change the reality on the ground today. LA's price model could spiral out of control just like LR if TIC isn't careful.

My .02c

sgip said:
Those who did buy LR at $1m now find themselves short selling at $700k, competing against REOS in the $650k range.  20/20 hindsight though doesn't change the reality on the ground today. LA's price model could spiral out of control just like LR if TIC isn't careful.
Yep... that's what I was alluding too... although, Ladera doesn't have the FCB factor that Irvine has... and Irvine is closer to the numbers that count -- 99 and 85.

irvinehomeowner said:
Yep... that's what I was alluding too... although, Ladera doesn't have the FCB factor that Irvine has... and Irvine is closer to the numbers that count -- 99 and 85.

What is 99 and 85? Cafe 85 and 99 Ranch?

Completely off-topic here, but... am I the only person in Irvine who's never been to 85C or has the desire to go? I don't get it. It's just a bakery, right? Some Thai friends of mine drive all the way from L.A. to go to the one here in Irvine. Last time they said there were around 100 people waiting in line just to pay! Someone tell me what the big deal is. I'd really like to know!

@zakami:

Winner, winner... chicken dinner.

@SoCal:

I've had the stuff at 85? and I still don't understand it. Maybe because it's relatively cheap? For pastry type things... I prefer Portos... wish they had one of those in Irvine.

Its good if you like asian pastries.  They are an overseas company which probably leads to some of the allure.  Not a big fan myself, my fiance loves the place (I'm white, she's asian).  I'd say try it you might like it, but it isn't the best place ever.  Now when the Little Sheep hot pot opens in Irvine, that'll be something to get excited about.

Personally I have no idea why 85C bakery has such an appeal.  I honestly prefer the pastries over at Cream Pan in tustin than the ones at 85.  Salt Coffee, again, it's okay, but I'm a coffee snob to begin with and found nothing special about it.  I still shop and buy pastries at 85 but it's mostly when people are coming over who are out of the area.  Their eyes light up like when you say it's 85C.

They are good, just not, drive down from LA good...

irvinehomeowner said:
I've had the stuff at 85? and I still don't understand it. Maybe because it's relatively cheap? For pastry type things... I prefer Portos... wish they had one of those in Irvine.

+1 on a Portos in the OC

zakami said:
irvinehomeowner said:

What is 99 and 85? Cafe 85 and 99 Ranch?

99 ranch and 85 degrees cafe

cannot agree more! I wouldn't stand in line for an hour for pastry... good to know I'm not the only one. :)

Part of the hype re: 85C has to do with the fact that it's not from here - a popular pastry cafe in Taiwan and now it is all over the world (stores in China, Taiwan, Australia and US).

My Asian coworkers' eyes really light up when I bring in pastry from 85C...

shokunin said:
Personally I have no idea why 85C bakery has such an appeal.  I honestly prefer the pastries over at Cream Pan in tustin than the ones at 85.  Salt Coffee, again, it's okay, but I'm a coffee snob to begin with and found nothing special about it.  I still shop and buy pastries at 85 but it's mostly when people are coming over who are out of the area.  Their eyes light up like when you say it's 85C.

They are good, just not, drive down from LA good...

I had to Google this "salt coffee" of which you speak, Pat Star, and now I'm totally intrigued! It sounds interesting and good. I had no idea it has become so popular - never even heard of it! I see there are articles in major publications about it. I might just have to wait in line to buy one... but, gosh, not an hour! So, it sounds like 85C is half bakery and half Starbucks-of-Taiwan. Maybe I'll trying going on a weekday morning when everyone is at work and hope for only 50 people in line instead of 100.

bones said:
The lines are only bad at certain times of the day.  I've been there countless times on weekdays between 11am and 12pm, and there are no lines. 

So, just like a doughnut shop or bagel place, would you say the lines are most busy right in the morning for people wanting breakfast? I'll take your tip and hit them up 11-12. Hope I don't get a lunch crowd.

Back