Laguna Altura homes

Thank God there are other choices now. Ladera and Bakers hopefully offer better genuine neighbors.

Irvinecommuter said:
I said in the other thread regarding FCBs...it's not about racism per se.  There is nothing inherently wrong with FCB coming to buy properties in the US.  It's their money, they can do whatever they want with it.  Heck, I would like for them to drive up the prices up even higher now that I am a homeowner :)

The issue really is one of 1) culture and 2) class.  I am Chinese and I do not like certain aspects of my culture, which are often highlighted by rich mainlanders who came to wealth very very quickly.  Chinese people love to compare, they think money mean status, class, and an inherent superiority, they think that Chinese are better than other cultures (especially other Asian cultures), and many of them (like many immigrant groups) tend to congregate.  I see it all the time, even people who are otherwise nice people.  First generation Chinese are very guilty of all those...first generational rich mainlanders are the most extreme.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Thank God there are other choices now. Ladera and Bakers hopefully offer better genuine neighbors.

Irvinecommuter said:
I said in the other thread regarding FCBs...it's not about racism per se.  There is nothing inherently wrong with FCB coming to buy properties in the US.  It's their money, they can do whatever they want with it.  Heck, I would like for them to drive up the prices up even higher now that I am a homeowner :)

The issue really is one of 1) culture and 2) class.  I am Chinese and I do not like certain aspects of my culture, which are often highlighted by rich mainlanders who came to wealth very very quickly.  Chinese people love to compare, they think money mean status, class, and an inherent superiority, they think that Chinese are better than other cultures (especially other Asian cultures), and many of them (like many immigrant groups) tend to congregate.  I see it all the time, even people who are otherwise nice people.  First generation Chinese are very guilty of all those...first generational rich mainlanders are the most extreme.

TBF:  Irvine was not the "get to know your neighbor" city even before the FCB moved in.  Most people who live here are professionals who develop relationships outside of their neighborhoods...usually relating to their children.  That actually appeals to many people who just want to be left alone when they're at home. 

No Quarter said:
I think that is somewhat true in Cortona and definitely true in Toscana. The Chinese folks in the neighborhood have quite the social scene amongst themselves, since the couple two houses down from me is always having play dates with the other Chinese kids in the neighborhood.  That also means that she knows everything that is going on in their homes too... since their wives like to spread the gossip.

I certainly haven't met everyone... but many are on slow drive by's to steal landscaping ideas from my neighbor's home and mine... and don't even say "Hi".  I'll talk to anyone... but they should at least say hello, if they are going to stalk my home.

Keep in mind, this is not universal... there are some outgoing Chinese in the neighborhood.  Maybe they are just not shy?  On the other hand, the white folks are very friendly and the few Koreans and Indians in the neighborhood are pretty chatty as well.

How do you know if they are Chinese or not? Do you go around in Laguna Altura asking every neighbor what is his/her ethnicity?

Mainlanders ruined mandarin like the Mexicans ruined Spanish from Spain.

No Quarter said:
Many of them were speaking to each other in Mandarin?

Just to be clear, I don't care where anyone is from or how they purchased their home. But I do expect civility and respect from my neighbors.

I also expect them to do their job to maintain home values in the neighborhood

Back