Kumon & other tutorial services

nyc to oc said:
That's what I don't understand. Aren't a lot of these parents moving here for the express purpose of giving their kids an  "American style education" and to get away from that  horrible pressure? But then end up importing those same practices here anyway...Hence, no Uni, and no IUSD for me.

Funny, that is exactly what I was just told last week from parents who are from India. They have lived in: India, Italy, England, Cupertino, the east coast, and now here in O.C. They say they like it here the best for their son. They said it was way too much pressure in India and a whole lot in Cupertino. In Cupertino, the dad asked the teacher why does she put so much pressure on the kids. He wanted her to ease up. She said she doesn't -- she said it's the parents who are pushing her. So, they moved here to get away from it. Supposedly he enjoys the slightly more relaxed atmosphere. However, the irony in all this is he and his wife were drilling me on what I buy my son, what do I make him do, what extra-curricular am I making him do, what is he reading, what hobbies do I LET him have etc. Their kid is a really good kid and a fantastic student. It's just a head scratcher why they ask if they supposedly are trying to relax a little. I think you summed it up perfectly.

SoCal said:
nyc to oc said:
That's what I don't understand. Aren't a lot of these parents moving here for the express purpose of giving their kids an  "American style education" and to get away from that  horrible pressure? But then end up importing those same practices here anyway...Hence, no Uni, and no IUSD for me.

Funny, that is exactly what I was just told last week from parents who are from India. They have lived in: India, Italy, England, Cupertino, the east coast, and now here in O.C. They say they like it here the best for their son. They said it was way too much pressure in India and a whole lot in Cupertino. In Cupertino, the dad asked the teacher why does she put so much pressure on the kids. He wanted her to ease up. She said she doesn't -- she said it's the parents who are pushing her. So, they moved here to get away from it. Supposedly he enjoys the slightly more relaxed atmosphere. However, the irony in all this is he and his wife were drilling me on what I buy my son, what do I make him do, what extra-curricular am I making him do, what is he reading, what hobbies do I LET him have etc. Their kid is a really good kid and a fantastic student. It's just a head scratcher why they ask if they supposedly are trying to relax a little. I think you summed it up perfectly.

TBF...you know what you know.  You can try to move away from your upbringing and culture but those things influence you.  I mean, we all have a preference of foods, often to things that we grew up with.

I think most immigrants are "go getters" and "perfectionists" to begin with.  They brought their kids here so that they will have more opportunity than back in their homeland.  It is a numbers game a lot of times...China and India are filled with out of work college kids.

Those who grew up in the US are usually the ones that get the "ease up" message.

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
As a parent of two kids with straight A's every year
Any kid can get straight As in SVUSD.

<ShieldsUp>

#justkidding

How do you know where my kids attend school presently? How do you know where I currently live? So many questions...

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
As a parent of two kids with straight A's every year
Any kid can get straight As in SVUSD.

<ShieldsUp>

#justkidding

How do you know where my kids attend school presently? How do you know where I currently live? So many questions...

Didn't you mention you live in FH or LF?  Thus it's assumed your kids go to SVUSD. 

Hello. I'm the Center Director for Huntington Learning Center in Irvine. Though we are located in Irvine, we cover parts of TUSD and Santa Ana as well. From my experience, different districts take a different approach. TUSD and Santa Ana take a broader approach as has been mentioned. High scores are great, but if your child is very artistic or has a unique perspective on things, he or she might be recommended for the GATE program, although test scores are also considered.  IUSD also has the APAAS program which is entirely academic.(https://www.iusd.org/parent_resources/gate/index.html) for students in grades 4-6 who are academically advanced.

Regarding tutorials, keep in mind that education in California has changed from classroom content to the SAT. The new focus is on application of knowledge rather than regurgitating memorized facts. Calculating quickly is a great skill, but if you cannot figure out what the question is asking you...Whichever learning center you look at, make sure it is developing these skills which will help both in the classroom and in real life.

Thank you!

Huntington Learning Center is the most experienced tutoring center in the US, having been founded in 1977 by two educators, Dr. Ray and Eileen Huntington - No, it's not named after Huntington Beach. Every student gets a unique personalized program based on the results of an academic evaluation.

We offer the following programs:
1) Learning Center - Certified teachers develop the academic gaps in a child's education as determined by an in-depth evaluation. On average, we can bring a student up to 1.5~2 years above their current level. These individualized programs may be 1:1 or in groups up to 4, although each student is still working on his/her own content.
2) Subject Tutoring - For Grades 4 and above - helping students with their specific classes using their textbooks. We supplement with our own curriculum as needed.
3) Test Prep - 1:1 personalized SAT/ACT/PSAT tests based on the results of full-length exams. Set 32 and 14 hour programs are also available. We also offer ASVAB, ISEE, and other exams.

Please call 1-800-CAN-LEARN

HLCIRVINE: Have you read this entire thread?  What are your thoughts regarding 99% of students going to some kind of tutoring even if they are already at the top of their class?

You probably would like America to adopt the same type of tutoring culture inherent in Asian countries because that would be good for business.

Only if you allow it.  If you don't like it....bully him off.  Although if he answers my question, then I'd be ok with his marketing.
Give something to get something.

The top of his first post seems to be something of value...talking about GATE, etc.  ..although a little generic, however, the bottom of his post is pure marketing for his tutorial service.

Back