Kumon & other tutorial services

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
Correction: #chooseGATEtoIVCtoUCI

Actually, you don't choose GATE, IUSD applies the criteria to all students and notifies you once your child meets them.

For APAAS, you actually have to apply and I don't think they do this anymore, but there is another test to take.

APAAS is a different program where your kid attends 1 of 6 schools where ALL the kids in the class are on the APAAS track.

For GATE, I think it's in every school and GATE and non-GATE kids are in the same class but may be given different curriculum.

You probably already know all of this but I feel this might give some insight to zubs.

Yes when I said choose gate, I mean put your kid into kumon, etc so they can be gate selected. But by all means, do inform me bc I am uninformed. You are supposed to get my sarcasm! Disappointed.
Wait... your sarcasm is nonsensical.

Your kids still can't choose GATE, with or without Kumon. But they can choose IVC.

:)

zubs said:
Gifted means smart and hard working.

The kids that go to Kumon do have an edge.  They are already 3 steps over their counterparts.  The competition in China is fierce, and kids start tutoring classes at 4 years old.  They do it because everyone else is doing it...and they don't want their children left behind.

It is now happening in Irvine and other Asian communities.  It was not like that 20 years ago.  It is why the API scores at IUSD is so awesome and your property values are so high.

Not to sound harsh. Just because a kid works hard, doesn't mean they are gifted.

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
Correction: #chooseGATEtoIVCtoUCI

Actually, you don't choose GATE, IUSD applies the criteria to all students and notifies you once your child meets them.

For APAAS, you actually have to apply and I don't think they do this anymore, but there is another test to take.

APAAS is a different program where your kid attends 1 of 6 schools where ALL the kids in the class are on the APAAS track.

For GATE, I think it's in every school and GATE and non-GATE kids are in the same class but may be given different curriculum.

You probably already know all of this but I feel this might give some insight to zubs.

Yes when I said choose gate, I mean put your kid into kumon, etc so they can be gate selected. But by all means, do inform me bc I am uninformed. You are supposed to get my sarcasm! Disappointed.
Wait... your sarcasm is nonsensical.

Your kids still can't choose GATE, with or without Kumon. But they can choose IVC.

:)

Argh.  Yes.  They choose you, but like zubs was saying... parents send their kid to extra tutoring so of course they are GATE identified so in a roundabout way, you are "choosing".  Plus, if we are being technical, you are just choosing to apply to IVC/UCI, IVC/UCI still needs to choose you :)

zubs said:
I think after school tutorial services creates GATE kids.  Since they go to tutoring, they will be at the head of their class, and more likely to be regarded as "gifted"...so then sent to GATE. 

qwerty said:
I'm counting on my daughters looks to hopefully ensure she has a good life. Marrying rich > going to ivy :)

Hybrid vigor baby.

I was in LV at spearmint rhino talking to this stripper who had a rich boyfriend.  She said she was stripping because she'd rather have her own money then spend her boyfriends because "all money comes with strings attached when it's not yours".

bones said:
Ready2Downsize said:
LOL! APAAS is super gate? My daughter was in APAAS and I don't remember it being all that difficult.

Not sure when/where your kid when to school but IUSD has space for around 200 APAAS students for 4th grade.  That to me sounds like a much more selective group than GATE.

And to zubs point, I know someone plotting to get into APAAS. Kid is in kinder.

Thats definitely a special child if she thought apaas wad a breeze. I was in APAAS in IUSD and it was the hardest school years of my life... I've kept in touch with old classmates and they all agree.

And it's not about telling kids they're special and more intelligent. It's about making sure these kids aren't getting bored in regular classes. But it seems to have morphed out of control into a status thing by parents.

zubs said:
qwerty said:
I'm counting on my daughters looks to hopefully ensure she has a good life. Marrying rich > going to ivy :)

Hybrid vigor baby.

I was in LV at spearmint rhino talking to this stripper who had a rich boyfriend.  She said she was stripping because she'd rather have her own money then spend her boyfriends because "all money comes with strings attached when it's not yours".

All money comes with strings attached. I'm married, now my money is attached to my wife :-(

This post took a turn. Lol

But for real though... Do the ti folks see good things from putting their kids in kumon?

All we did was read to her and help her with her homework........and we did let her use what was at the time high tech......... an apple II GS computer when she was 4. Graphics and sound and in color.......... wowee........... none of her friends had computers! Reader Rabbit was so high tech!

Preschool was a mommy and me type program and Kindergarten was at Muir Fundamental School in gasp.......... Santa Ana. When she got to Westwood Basics Plus in first grade she was at the top of her class.

There were afterschool academic programs but she never went to any of them. I wanted her to be a kid.

I can't comment on how Kumon is now but Kumon back in the day was help to a short extent. They would teach you some great math short cuts and how to do problems fast yet correct. I stopped going around the 3rd grade or so because it was too expensive and not as helpful as before.

Poor zubs, wanted to find out which tutoring place is best but no one on this board will admit to sending their kids to tutoring.

qwerty said:

Hybrid vigor baby.
I'm sure she'll grow up looking like an Asian Tecate girl so she shouldn't have any problems marrying well.

A few years ago, we were looking into opening a Kumon, you are only open a few hours a day and a few days a week. The program is set so you basically just have to do the training, pay the franchise fee, rent the space, buy the furnishings/materials, hire the tutors and it starts to run itself.

But we wanted to give it a try first. Did the intro session where they talked about the program with the adults and the kids got to "try" it.

It was okay. I can see how it helps many but in the end it wasn't something we could get behind especially if we were planning on running it as a business. It might have been the people who were running it (those of you in Irvine know only a certain few run the Kumons here) so there was that.

Hahahahaha! I volunteered for her class, grading papers and having the kids read to me and it was amazing the huge differences in the ability of the kids. Some could read most anything and others had trouble even knowing what sound letters made.

Fast forward to my third daughter.......... she had so many learning issues. We did the same thing for her as the other two....... same mommy and me preschool, same reading to the kid, helping with homework but for whatever reason that one just "never got it". I kept asking for help and the teachers kept telling me she was fine but her I caught her second grade teacher yelling at her after school one day.......... WHY can't you EVER get ANYTHING????????? What is WRONG with you? We have been OVER THIS MANY TIMES! Only reason I caught her was she never came out to get picked up, so I went to go find out where she was.

I was pretty darn mad. I said well........ I'll help her with her homework when we get home and she says SHE HAS BEEN WORKING ON THIS A MONTH! She was exasperated and I just said.......... I've been asking for help  every year and everyone tells me she doesn't need any help.

Next year she had a teacher who had been a nurse and she tells me your daughter has a learning issue. Her drawings are worse than a kindergartener, everything in her portfolio is placed backwards and upside down, she zones out. I was sooooooooooooooooooooo relieved. After three years SOMEONE says she needs help. Never was a formal diagnosis but they said it was some kind of processing issue. Took her 10 min to take in what was told to her, figure out what was meant and respond which of course was waaaaaaaaay too long for anyone to wait for. She went to special ed where they taught her to deal with it. That special ed teacher took a child who probably would have been a complete failure in high school to being in an honors class and she is now a 2nd grade teacher. Hats off to Mrs. Phelps and Mrs. Cannon.

So...................... I really think that kids just have a predetermined talent. I don't think that my first daughter's success had a whole lot to do with us. Pushing them into learning can only go so far. I certainly tried my hardest with her to absolutely no avail.

They said no she definitely didn't have dyslexia (even though she did place her portfolio pages backwards).

She had other problems when she was younger........... didn't stand up till she was 15 months old (even though she had the strength), lots of feeding problems, and social issues (couldn't stand being by herself........ ever).

Very lovable, very fun loving, but a hard one to bring up till we found out she just didn't get what was said to her.

BTW, she doesn't have any problems processing what is told to her now. Not sure if she would have outgrown it on her own..... maybe, but if we had waited till she was in jr high I think she definitely would be much worse off.

The Asian mentality for education is to put their kids in after school tutoring no matter if the kid needs it or not.  You go to Asia and everyone has their kid in tutoring class.

The reason I started this topic was because I recently spoke to a friend from Peking who said all the kids at his child's school go to after school tutoring.  I said "But why 4 years old!?"  And he said all the pre-K kids were tutoring already, and so he had to do it to keep up.

This idea now permeates Irvine.  It wasn't like that when I went to school. 

I don't care if my kid goes to tutoring or not.  CSUF is fine.  My kid can be a plumber.  I think education is great, but I don't give it as high a rank as others.  That's why I was glad I wasn't in GATE...no extra work for me....now who's the smart one!!!

As a parent of two kids with straight A's every year, I'm often asked by classmates' parents (usually immigrants) what I "do" or what I "MAKE them do". Kumon isn't one of them. As a certified basic English literacy tutor, I do, however, recognize the value for it when parental help is ineffective due to a language barrier issue. The funny thing is I don't spend nearly as much time thinking about this and dwelling on it as some parents do. Straight A's were never something I told them they have to get for fear of a beating or something I was really even seeking. They are pretty self-motivated. However, the questions I get, forced me to ask myself what "I do".

* Individual attention

* Ensure comprehension / not competition

* Modelling interest & enthusiasm

* Reward

* Having a rocket scientist for a father doesn't hurt

I stay connected with what they're learning. When they get papers back with wrong answers, I go over the answers again at home and will sometimes make practice problems to make sure they understand why it's wrong. I teach them other ways of doing problems. I try to be positive about assignments. I show them real-world applications for what they're learning. I do pay out for report card grades. When we as adults go to work, we expect a paycheck. School is their job. Why should it be any different. That's how I see it. When they do well, I make a big deal out of it. Mr. SocCal pointed out that they seem to really want to make me happy. So, I try to show them I'm happy or be all silly-happy when I see their grades. They really enjoy that. Kids want to make their parents proud! However, I am more concerned with making their best efforts regardless of outcome. I'm happy if I know they really tried their best. Not every adult is perfect at every subject. We can't expect kids to be perfect either. They are humans, too. They have their strengths and weaknesses just like us. Lastly, I do sometimes wonder how much genetics plays a role. I totally scored in the baby-daddy department. He is one of the most genius minds I've ever met. I'm continually astounded. I don't know if it's genetics or just influencing kids / having a positive role model or what. They do see what he does for a career and what he does for hobbies at home... they want to be like him. I think that helps. Or maybe they got their brains from moi!  :)

Adding: Above all -- care, but stay relaxed. Breathe, people, breathe. Love your kids. Teach responsibility but let them be children. Enjoy learning and enjoy life.

zubs said:
The Asian mentality for education is to put their kids in after school tutoring no matter if the kid needs it or not.  You go to Asia and everyone has their kid in tutoring class.

The reason I started this topic was because I recently spoke to a friend from Peking who said all the kids at his child's school go to after school tutoring.  I said "But why 4 years old!?"  And he said all the pre-K kids were tutoring already, and so he had to do it to keep up.

This idea now permeates Irvine.  It wasn't like that when I went to school. 

I don't care if my kid goes to tutoring or not.  CSUF is fine.  My kid can be a plumber.  I think education is great, but I don't give it as high a rank as others.  That's why I was glad I wasn't in GATE...no extra work for me....now who's the smart one!!!

That's what I don't understand. Aren't a lot of these parents moving here for the express purpose of giving their kids an  "American style education" and to get away from that  horrible pressure? But then end up importing those same practices here anyway...Hence, no Uni, and no IUSD for me.

Back