Kumon & other tutorial services

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
When I read TI, everybody on TI thinks there kid will go to an elite school. But in reality, that will not happen.
You must be skipping my posts. :)

#ChooseIVC
Believe or not, that may be the route to take. I personally know someone that got into Columbia and Berkeley that took the JC route.

bones said:
Cornflakes said:
bones said:
zubs said:
In the end he did end up getting into a higher rated college than I did.

Is that because he is just smarter than you or because of GATE? 

To me, GATE is kinda BS.  It alienates kids into thinking they're better than others, and when you start telling & showing 3rd and 4th graders they're smart and gifted, it can send the wrong message.  I do think GATE-like programs have a place in education for the truly gifted but come on, 30% of IUSD is gifted?  Umm ok.

GATE, like anything else in life, will have believers and non-believers. That's besides the point. I really get curious when people start pulling numbers out of thin air to justify their position. Where did you get 30% from?

Maybe you should try reading the links and posts before accusing people of pulling things from thin air.  IHO posted this on page 1 of this thread.  So is it safe to assume, you were not GATE? :)
https://www.iusd.org/parent_resources/gate/information.html

1. What percentage of students are GATE Identified?

The approximate number of students determined to qualify for GATE is 10% of a student population. However, students are able to qualify in each grade-level from 3rd through 8th. The number of GATE-identified students in IUSD is approximately 25-30% for the total District.

You do realize that whoever wrote that answer is not very bright person, or at very least not very fluent in English, right? When you are allowing entry into the club for only 10-12% of the class, how does that pool become 25-30% of the base? And that too of a bigger base including ineligible k-3 students?

If 25-30% population is GATE identified (every 3rd or 4th kid) in IUSD, and you subtract K-3 students, now you are talking 30-40% of eligible kids GATE identified. Doesn't that make you question that 25-30%?

No it doesn't. Like eye phone said, everyone and their mother thinks their kid is GATE. For smaller numbers, try APAAS. That's SUPER GATE and probably a much smaller % of the district body.

When a large population of IUSD kids are going to kumon, you better believe there are a lot of "gifted" kids in the district.

zubs said:
When a large population of IUSD kids are going to kumon, you better believe there are a lot of "gifted" kids in the district.

What is your definition of gifted?

I think after school tutorial services creates GATE kids.  Since they go to tutoring, they will be at the head of their class, and more likely to be regarded as "gifted"...so then sent to GATE. 

and what parent doesn't want that ego trip.

zubs said:
I think after school tutorial services creates GATE kids.  Since they go to tutoring, they will be at the head of their class, and more likely to be regarded as "gifted"...so then sent to GATE.

Your telling me about the program. What does the term gifted mean to you?

Ready2Downsize said:
LOL! APAAS is super gate? My daughter was in APAAS and I don't remember it being all that difficult.

Not sure when/where your kid when to school but IUSD has space for around 200 APAAS students for 4th grade.  That to me sounds like a much more selective group than GATE.

And to zubs point, I know someone plotting to get into APAAS. Kid is in kinder.

Gifted means smart and hard working.

The kids that go to Kumon do have an edge.  They are already 3 steps over their counterparts.  The competition in China is fierce, and kids start tutoring classes at 4 years old.  They do it because everyone else is doing it...and they don't want their children left behind.

It is now happening in Irvine and other Asian communities.  It was not like that 20 years ago.  It is why the API scores at IUSD is so awesome and your property values are so high.

bones said:
Correction: #chooseGATEtoIVCtoUCI

Actually, you don't choose GATE, IUSD applies the criteria to all students and notifies you once your child meets them.

For APAAS, you actually have to apply and I don't think they do this anymore, but there is another test to take.

APAAS is a different program where your kid attends 1 of 6 schools where ALL the kids in the class are on the APAAS track.

For GATE, I think it's in every school and GATE and non-GATE kids are in the same class but may be given different curriculum.

You probably already know all of this but I feel this might give some insight to zubs.

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
Correction: #chooseGATEtoIVCtoUCI

Actually, you don't choose GATE, IUSD applies the criteria to all students and notifies you once your child meets them.

For APAAS, you actually have to apply and I don't think they do this anymore, but there is another test to take.

APAAS is a different program where your kid attends 1 of 6 schools where ALL the kids in the class are on the APAAS track.

For GATE, I think it's in every school and GATE and non-GATE kids are in the same class but may be given different curriculum.

You probably already know all of this but I feel this might give some insight to zubs.

Yes when I said choose gate, I mean put your kid into kumon, etc so they can be gate selected. But by all means, do inform me bc I am uninformed. You are supposed to get my sarcasm! Disappointed.

I'm counting on my daughters looks to hopefully ensure she has a good life. Marrying rich > going to ivy :)

Hybrid vigor baby.

Back