Irvine vs Surrounding Cities?

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
I live in a nice place in Lake Forest. I did consider the fact that the school district is a notch below IUSD.  However, even ignoring the 200k I probably saved by buying here, I'm saving between 500-1000 a month in mello roos, despite it being a new development. 

I figure $500 a month can buy some good tutoring to make up for the less stellar teachers.

What about private schools? Thought about sending kids to good ones nearby?

Am I YF, BTB, bones, meccos, 50 years old woman, or BTB?s wife? Who else am I missing?

Anyways, my question was is private school a good option? Sorry if it?s already discussed.

Mety said:
Am I YF, BTB, bones, meccos, 50 years old woman, or BTB?s wife? Who else am I missing?

Anyways, my question was is private school a good option? Sorry if it?s already discussed.

also the hula person  ;)
you both said you are moderate and both have the vaccinations and against vaccinations. haha (idk just saying for entertainment purposes) ;)

Mety said:

I would tell you if I thought it would help your kid?s chances. But since I didn?t have a kid with you, it doesn?t.

5-6% acceptance rate across all ivies for class of 2025. The reality is after legacies, athletes, the geniuses, the well-connected, the ?stories? (aka first gens/hardship applicants), there?s not much space for IUSD (or similar) kids.

I?m not so much interested about our kids getting to Ivy schools and all that. I?m more interested in the actual school life experiences. Anyone went to private K-12 or something similar yourselves or your kids? Was it more safe? More fun? Worth all the tuition rather than say public Irvine schools? The point of this question is not about getting into college but about the actual school life.

I would say something, but I remember you in particular made a big fuss about in pm back in the day. So no soup for you!

Mety said:
I?m not so much interested about our kids getting to Ivy schools and all that. I?m more interested in the actual school life experiences. Anyone went to private K-12 or something similar yourselves or your kids? Was it more safe? More fun? Worth all the tuition rather than say public Irvine schools? The point of this question is not about getting into college but about the actual school life.

So funny. Very hilarious stuff!

CogNeuroSci said:
Mety said:

So funny. Very hilarious stuff!

Actually Mety had been asking about private schools. Tbh I already answered it before. But he is asking again maybe for fun.

I don?t think anyone answered about the actual school life kids experience from the private schools. Everyone seems to focus on how to get into this or that colleges. That?s important too, but since that?s so much discussed already, I would like to hear about different side which is what the kids actually go through from private schools besides about getting into colleges.

Private schools got more family get together parties.  Probably because everyone's richer than their public counterparts.

Mety said:
I don?t think anyone answered about the actual school life kids experience from the private schools. Everyone seems to focus on how to get into this or that colleges. That?s important too, but since that?s so much discussed already, I would like to hear about different side which is what the kids actually go through from private schools besides about getting into colleges.

Hope this helps:

Some anecdotal color: A few years ago, two kids from the same IB program at Foothill High School were admitted from my interview list of ~20. The remaining ~18 IUSD kids were all rejected. Doesn't mean a whole lot or maybe you can take away a morsel of something. YMMV.

Thanks for your replies. I guess my kids are too young and maybe I might change and think like some of you guys when they?re ready to go to colleges, but I think the most important thing for kids is what they experience in school life.

I had so much fun in school and especially in high school which was a public school in a good neighborhood (not Irvine). There never was academic pressure and stress to get into certain colleges, a path designed by someone else. My high school helped me find what I was good at and I ended up going that direction for colleges and now my career.

Correct me if I?m wrong, but what I hear from Irvine schools is that kids get so much academic pressure and some choose to go to private schools at later years just so that they get better chances of getting into colleges their parents or some counselors want. I?m not saying that?s a bad thing, but I think it?s more important to know what your kids really want.

To be honest, I never thought about sending our kids to private schools, but now with so much laws that I don?t agree are being implemented into public schools, I?m actually considering private options. Living in other cities where there is no MR can help private tuitions. Especially with working from home now, Irvine is not the only option for us currently. Just considering many possibilities. We most likely just keep living in Irvine though.

Yeah you told us that you had a kid and looking for a second hand stroller. (that was you right)
Me personally, I would never look for a second hand stroller. (especially if you dont know them)

Mety said:
Thanks for your replies. I guess my kids are too young and maybe I might change and think like some of you guys when they?re ready to go to colleges, but I think the most important thing for kids is what they experience in school life.

I had so much fun in school and especially in high school which was a public school in a good neighborhood (not Irvine). There never was academic pressure and stress to get into certain colleges, a path designed by someone else. My high school helped me find what I was good at and I ended up going that direction for colleges and now my career.

Correct me if I?m wrong, but what I hear from Irvine schools is that kids get so much academic pressure and some choose to go to private schools at later years just so that they get better chances of getting into colleges their parents or some counselors want. I?m not saying that?s a bad thing, but I think it?s more important to know what your kids really want.

To be honest, I never thought about sending our kids to private schools, but now with so much laws that I don?t agree are being implemented into public schools, I?m actually considering private options. Living in other cities where there is no MR can help private tuitions. Especially with working from home now, Irvine is not the only option for us currently. Just considering many possibilities. We most likely just keep living in Irvine though.

eyephone,

You seem to think and got confused with someone else in every response you make to my posts. I know you don?t mean to spread false information, but what you do keep ending up being that way.

And just to make it clear for you, I?ve never asked for second hand stroller. We already got good ones gifted by families. To be more precise, I don?t really buy used for anything. That?s just me. Have a wonderful day.

That is your take, but why would you have the spreadsheet of the neighborhood ratings? When the graphs were only uploaded to TI. (unless he personally emailed it to you, or someone has the info that created the graphs)

* for the new people the neighborhood graphs was like the most controversial topic on talk irvine. Previous user posted the ratings of the neighborhoods (pros and cons). People got mad, burnt people identities. But I guess it wasnt that hard when you drive a new M5 and power wash their car. (allegedly)

Mety said:
eyephone,

You seem to think and got confused with someone else in every response you make to my posts. I know you don?t mean to spread false information, but what you do keep ending up being that way.

And just to make it clear for you, I?ve never asked for second hand stroller. We already got good ones gifted by families. To be more precise, I don?t really buy used for anything. That?s just me. Have a wonderful day.

eyephone,

Sorry to disappoint you, but I?m not YF. I never posted that spread sheet. Although I did screen capture that sheet YF posted. But that was in my old computer and I don?t think I have anymore.

Mety said:
ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
I live in a nice place in Lake Forest. I did consider the fact that the school district is a notch below IUSD.  However, even ignoring the 200k I probably saved by buying here, I'm saving between 500-1000 a month in mello roos, despite it being a new development. 

I figure $500 a month can buy some good tutoring to make up for the less stellar teachers.

What about private schools? Thought about sending kids to good ones nearby?

Yeah I will consider it.  I don't really care about colleges that much, but I care about my kid learning math and good critical thinking skills.

People who are interested in their kids going to Ivys are doing it for bragging rights, not so much for their child's future.  If you go look at the folks making the big bucks at the quant funds or unicorn tech companies it is not dominated at all by Ivy schools.  Sure you'll see CMU/MIT/Caltech but also state schools and dropouts and everything in between.   

Funny enough, of all the kids I went to high school with (in Irvine), my friend who was expelled and didn't go to college is now the richest by far. 

Back