Irvine vs Surrounding Cities?

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
Mety said:
ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
I live in a nice place in Lake Forest. I did consider the fact that the school district is a notch below IUSD.  However, even ignoring the 200k I probably saved by buying here, I'm saving between 500-1000 a month in mello roos, despite it being a new development. 

I figure $500 a month can buy some good tutoring to make up for the less stellar teachers.

What about private schools? Thought about sending kids to good ones nearby?

Yeah I will consider it.  I don't really care about colleges that much, but I care about my kid learning math and good critical thinking skills.

People who are interested in their kids going to Ivys are doing it for bragging rights, not so much for their child's future.  If you go look at the folks making the big bucks at the quant funds or unicorn tech companies it is not dominated at all by Ivy schools.  Sure you'll see CMU/MIT/Caltech but also state schools and dropouts and everything in between.   

Funny enough, of all the kids I went to high school with (in Irvine), my friend who was expelled and didn't go to college is now the richest by far.

Of course there are exceptions. There are famous people that dropped out of college and are on the forbes list. Statistically someone with a degree makes more than those people who drop out.

Mety said:
eyephone,

Sorry to disappoint you, but I?m not YF. I never posted that spread sheet. Although I did screen capture that sheet YF posted. But that was in my old computer and I don?t think I have anymore.

You never explained it until today. How is your new computer?  ;)

If someone wants to give extra weight and meaning for attending an ivy university, then who am I to say it's wrong.
In this game of life, you give whatever meaning you want and work to attain it.

It could be how much coke you sniff off a hookers butt.

I wouldn't say it's as high as graduating from an ivy league school, but close...

CogNeuroSci said:
Mety actually thanked me above! Hilarious.

Are you or are you not a total nut job, Mety? Be honest.

You gave your honest opinion. What?s not to thank for unless you made up that story intentionally in mockery?

zubs said:
If someone wants to give extra weight and meaning for attending an ivy university, then who am I to say it's wrong.
In this game of life, you give whatever meaning you want and work to attain it.

Yeah that?s fine. I also said that?s not a bad thing either in my post. Everyone?s different and at this time of my life, I would like my kids to focus on enjoying school life and as parents we simply guide them to choose what they want themselves for colleges, careers, or whatever that may be. Since most people here or Irvine parents seem to focus on getting their kids into colleges they want themselves, I?m just opening up different perspective us parents can have. Everyone?s different.

Mety said:
I?m not so much interested about our kids getting to Ivy schools and all that. I?m more interested in the actual school life experiences. Anyone went to private K-12 or something similar yourselves or your kids? Was it more safe? More fun? Worth all the tuition rather than say public Irvine schools? The point of this question is not about getting into college but about the actual school life.

irvinehomeowner said:
Private schools can be worse than public... entitlement, lack of experienced staff etc etc.

Everyone has warts.

Every private school is different, so it's going to vary widely.  I have four kids attending private school, along with anecdotal knowledge of other schools I've toured, and schools we've played against in sports.

Things I like:

-Small class sizes - about half the size of IUSD.
-Responsive teachers and faculty.
-A warm family atmosphere.
-More programs and opportunities, especially in K-5.  Still solid in middle school, but probably a little more even between public/private.
-Very little bullying, foul language, drug use, or other bad influences.

Things I don't like:

-The families at our schools tend to have two working parents and are generally middle class, with low income families qualifying for tuition help.  So the sense of entitlement isn't much of a problem where my kids attend BUT I have seen it at other schools that we play against in sports.  Sometimes the opposing parents and coaches can be really obnoxious to little 4th grade girls playing volleyball for the first time, because to them it's about winning at all costs.  I would try to avoid that type of private school setting.  It could warp your kids' minds.

-Sometimes the teachers are inexperienced or subpar because the pay is less than public school.  Most of the teachers are great and are doing it for more than just the money, but the problem is private schools are hiring from a smaller pool of applicants and occasionally a bad apple gets through.  Due to the smaller environment, sometimes politics and interpersonal connections determine hiring / firing decisions more so than merit.

Thanks LL... and yes... not all private schools are that way but some are... just like not all IUSD school/teachers are great.

A big con for me on private schools is the population can be from all over, so you don't get that local feel with some of them. Your kid's best friends may live in different cities whereas it's nice to have them close by and in your neighborhood for anything from carpools, parties, etc etc.

And that entitlement also happens in public schools... from personal experience the high school in TUSD with an Irvine address and good sports programs has some mean parents.

Thanks LL and IHO. Those are good points. We?ll tour some private schools and see the vibe. We might end up at Irvine public schools, but we?ll see how it goes.

Also be aware that a good number of private schools are religion affiliated so that may limit your choices... especially at the high school level.

Back