Irvine demographic & impact on kids

IrvineRes88 said:
My kids elementary  (outside) of Irvine had a balanced diverse feel with only 25% Asian population. Now that we have moved to Irvine, I am increasingly uncomfortable with what seems to be 80% Asian student population. This environment is not diverse nor healthy for kids. I know some friends moved to Saddleback school district because they don't want their kids to study all the time. I moved to Irvine due to the convenience of Asian markets & restaurantso but I am beginning to really question the herd mentality of academic success with Asians. My kids used to have basically all white friends from school, now all their friends are Asian, it is making me uncomfortable, I would much prefer them to have both but it is not something that Irving can offer to them. I'very heard many good things about the Saddleback school district,  is Baker Ranch a  more diverse environment for kids?

I'm going back to the original post now.  Can someone refresh my memory regarding why the OP thinks having more white friends is better than more Asian friends?  It's not really clear here.  is 25% Asian any more (or less) diverse than 25% white?  Why did the OP move to Irvine?  It's not like Irvine became Asian overnight. 

paydawg said:
IrvineRes88 said:
My kids elementary  (outside) of Irvine had a balanced diverse feel with only 25% Asian population. Now that we have moved to Irvine, I am increasingly uncomfortable with what seems to be 80% Asian student population. This environment is not diverse nor healthy for kids. I know some friends moved to Saddleback school district because they don't want their kids to study all the time. I moved to Irvine due to the convenience of Asian markets & restaurantso but I am beginning to really question the herd mentality of academic success with Asians. My kids used to have basically all white friends from school, now all their friends are Asian, it is making me uncomfortable, I would much prefer them to have both but it is not something that Irving can offer to them. I'very heard many good things about the Saddleback school district,  is Baker Ranch a  more diverse environment for kids?

I'm going back to the original post now.  Can someone refresh my memory regarding why the OP thinks having more white friends is better than more Asian friends?  It's not really clear here.  is 25% Asian any more (or less) diverse than 25% white?  Why did the OP move to Irvine?  It's not like Irvine because Asian overnight.

Because lots of Asian means no diversity...lots of white mean diversity.

IrvineRes88 said:
"We still haven't talked about the ridiculous the original premise is that somehow how having "too many Asians" is an issue while having a large percentage of Whites is fine. "!!!    This ridiculous original premise is what prompted all top colleges in the States to limit the number of Asian freshman into their colleges. Get a clue, go educate yourself on diversity and remember you live in America, not in China. Even in China, they are striving for diversity.

Are you talking about SCA5 by Democrat (West Covina) Hernandez which is the California Affirmative Action Bill? This bill passed the state senate, but the bill got withdrawn back in 2014.

"SCA 5, if passed, would have repealed portions of Proposition 209, a 1996 regulation that prohibits preferential treatment on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin. SCA 5 was initiated to address a drop-off in black and Latino college admissions, primarily in the University of California system. The fall in enrollment was especially pronounced in California's most competitive public schools, UC Berkeley and UCLA."

Source:http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/soc...action-amendment-sca-5-withdrawn-for-revision

eyephone said:
IrvineRes88 said:
"We still haven't talked about the ridiculous the original premise is that somehow how having "too many Asians" is an issue while having a large percentage of Whites is fine. "!!!    This ridiculous original premise is what prompted all top colleges in the States to limit the number of Asian freshman into their colleges. Get a clue, go educate yourself on diversity and remember you live in America, not in China. Even in China, they are striving for diversity.

Are you talking about SCA5 by Democrat (West Covina) Hernandez which is the California Affirmative Action Bill? This bill passed the state senate, but the bill got withdrawn back in 2014.

"SCA 5, if passed, would have repealed portions of Proposition 209, a 1996 regulation that prohibits preferential treatment on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin. SCA 5 was initiated to address a drop-off in black and Latino college admissions, primarily in the University of California system. The fall in enrollment was especially pronounced in California's most competitive public schools, UC Berkeley and UCLA."

Source:http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/soc...action-amendment-sca-5-withdrawn-for-revision

No, I think he is talking about the unofficial quota that colleges impose on Asians at about 20%. 

IrvineRes88 said:
This ridiculous original premise is what prompted all top colleges in the States to limit the number of Asian freshman into their colleges. Get a clue, go educate yourself on diversity and remember you live in America, not in China. Even in China, they are striving for diversity.

Hmmm... I thought the Han Chinese were chasing out the Tibetans and Uighurs.

When you refer to diversity, maybe you are thinking about all those people getting double eyelid surgery to look more white?

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
IrvineRes88 said:

No, I think he is talking about the unofficial quota that colleges impose on Asians at about 20%.

I read some schools that are in the IVY league are getting sued. But what other schools are discriminating.

Panda said:
Hey Happiness... How come RoundCorners made the list of Good Asians... and Panda didn't make the list?
I talked to all 3 white people on this board and found out it was an unfortunate oversight. They thought RC and Panda were the same person.  I cleared up the confusion for them so now Panda is officially a Good Asian! 

Ok, my initial posting is to seek info on where to purchase, Tustin or Baker Ranch because I don't think IUSD is an environment for how I want my kids to grew up in. My posting then got moved to the Parenting forum and took on a life on its own :)  love it!!  Like it was mentioned in another posting, through the various postings many are actually (maybe silently) quite conflicted about the IUSD academic success focus environment. My conclusion is if I am paying top dollars, it needs to satisfy my top needs, but to me IUSD does not. With that said, may we go back to my original question, what has your experiences been with Tustin or Saddleback? My old neighbor who was a teacher at Saddleback said the teachers care more at Saddleback (compared to IUSD), but I have no knowledge of Tustin. Prior to moving here, I heard IUSD is a very good school district, but am disappointed with the Irvine elementary school that my kids are attending, sorry to be so down on Irvine, I know most of you love & love and very proud to be living in Irvine.

IrvineRes88 said:
Ok, my initial posting is to seek info on where to purchase, Tustin or Baker Ranch because I don't think IUSD is an environment for how I want my kids to grew up in. My posting then got moved to the Parenting forum and took on a life on its own :)  love it!!  Like it was mentioned in another posting, through the various postings many are actually (maybe silently) quite conflicted about the IUSD academic success focus environment. My conclusion is if I am paying top dollars, it needs to satisfy my top needs, but to me IUSD does not. With that said, may we go back to my original question, what has your experiences been with Tustin or Saddleback? My old neighbor who was a teacher at Saddleback said the teachers care more at Saddleback (compared to IUSD), but I have no knowledge of Tustin. Prior to moving here, I heard IUSD is a very good school district, but am disappointed with the Irvine elementary school that my kids are attending, sorry to be so down on Irvine, I know most of you love & love and very proud to be living in Irvine.

What are your top needs? 

I don't love or hate IUSD...it's a school district like many others.  IUSD is unique in that the parents are actively involved and have a high education standard for their children.

IrvineRes88 said:
My old neighbor who was a teacher at Saddleback said the teachers care more at Saddleback (compared to IUSD), but I have no knowledge of Tustin. Prior to moving here, I heard IUSD is a very good school district, but am disappointed with the Irvine elementary school that my kids are attending, sorry to be so down on Irvine, I know most of you love & love and very proud to be living in Irvine.

Maybe your old neighbor is biased....how would you know?  I don't think you can make blanket statements like that without being able to properly support with data.  I'm sure you can't prove that Compton teachers care less than IUSD teachers either. 

Specifically, what are you disappointed with regarding your elementary school?  Is it back to the diversity of the students?  Is the coursework too hard?  too easy?  Does the faculty give preferential treatment to certain students? 

Happiness said:
Panda said:
Hey Happiness... How come RoundCorners made the list of Good Asians... and Panda didn't make the list?
I talked to all 3 white people on this board and found out it was an unfortunate oversight. They thought RC and Panda were the same person.  I cleared up the confusion for them so now Panda is officially a Good Asian! 

RC and Panda are not the same person?  Dammit, these Asians they all looks alike. :)

taj283.jpg

Good Asian: Amy Tan, Hop Sing from Bonanza, Dali Lama, Roundcorners, Panda
Bad Asian: Mainland China nouveau riche, Veteran Cemetery protesters
Bad Ass Asian:  Bruce Lee, Magicj1zz

Happiness said:
Panda said:

paydawg said:
IrvineRes88 said:
My old neighbor who was a teacher at Saddleback said the teachers care more at Saddleback (compared to IUSD), but I have no knowledge of Tustin. Prior to moving here, I heard IUSD is a very good school district, but am disappointed with the Irvine elementary school that my kids are attending, sorry to be so down on Irvine, I know most of you love & love and very proud to be living in Irvine.

Maybe your old neighbor is biased....how would you know?  I don't think you can make blanket statements like that without being able to properly support with data.  I'm sure you can't prove that Compton teachers care less than IUSD teachers either. 

Specifically, what are you disappointed with regarding your elementary school?  Is it back to the diversity of the students?  Is the coursework too hard?  too easy?  Does the faculty give preferential treatment to certain students?

Maybe the fact that if the student does not graduate in the top 9 percent of the high school and meet the other basic uc requirement, the student is not guaranteed a spot to a UC school. I think this is part of the reason.

eyephone said:
paydawg said:
IrvineRes88 said:

Maybe the fact that if the student does not graduate in the top 9 percent of the high school and meet the other basic uc requirement, the student is not guaranteed a spot to a UC school. I think this is part of the reason.

Is that 9% number a real threshold?  My kids are too young for me to know much about this stuff just yet. 

paydawg said:
eyephone said:
paydawg said:
IrvineRes88 said:

Is that 9% number a real threshold?  My kids are too young for me to know much about this stuff just yet.
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/local-path/index.html
http://admission.universityofcalifo...ifornia-residents/admissions-index/index.html

Check out the freshman profiles by campushttp://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/profiles/index.html

So being in the 91st percentile at Compton High School is better than being 90th percentile at University High?

paydawg said:
So being in the 91st percentile at Compton High School is better than being 90th percentile at University High?

They have to at least have a 3.0, so that may be a problem. (Just kidding)

Back